1911Forum banner

Would you trust your life with a Taurus PT1911?

• yes

Votes: 151 70.9%
  • no

Votes: 62 29.1%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
While I would not say I had "lots of problems" mine had a few. Light primer strikes on my reloads, maybe my fault but my SA eats all of them. I did not like the Straight 8's, could not get used to shooting lower than I wanted it.

Nothing major, I just did not like it. Sold it and bought a SIG. Not yet in love with that either but I'm warming up to it. I guess I'm not totaly happy with the Sig that says something about the Taurus in some ways Huh??

To each there own, I have not heard a lot of personal problems with the guys that shoot them at the local club.

Trust my life? It it's what I had when I needed it I would not trade it for a stick!!!!

Tony.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had to vote "no." Every time I fire the thing something new and weird happens or falls off. I'd love to love my PT1911, I plan to keep it until all issues are resolved and then wear it out. However there will not be ANY other Taurus in my future. If my gun was for carry it would already be gone.
Except a Thunderbolt in .357 or .45acp. I might take a chance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That was an impressive show. I'd have been more impressed if there had been fewer hangups.
What really caught my eye was the grip the shooter used. I have never seen a right hand grip and a left hand trigger pull. Seemed to work for him. Although I sensed he had more control when he fired with his right hand. But that's how it looked to me. He is a pro, not me.

I bought a pt1911ar and i love the gun!!! I have had no problems and it is very accurate. It kicks just a little more than others but still great gun. I found a vid on youtube of one of there competition shooters shotting a pt1911 for 10 minutes straight to test its durability. there were about 6 ftl's and i think 4 ftf's but he recodcked and they fired after that. after ten minutes they put a couple thousand rounds through it and it was perfedctly fine. he had some 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his finger but damn!!!! that was a great video. sold me on the gun.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7HYgTWAsg I would recommend it to anyone. guns and ammo was impressed with it also.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wont carry a Taurus, yet...

Mt PT has over 1k malfunction free rounds. The ejector went loose during the first 200 rounds, I used red Loc Tite and the problem was solved. However, I would rather replace most of the small parts and pins with real steel. IMO, cheap casting and MIM are good for range guns, but not for carry guns. As soon the gun reaches 2k rounds I will replace all small parts and pins; if it does not choke for another 500 rounds I will carry it occasionally and give my Springer a break.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I like my blued one so much I bought a stainless one Saturday to keep it company!

·
Banned
260 Posts
My unemployed friend just bought a PT1911 a couple days ago and has not shot it yet. He has nowhere to shoot so I convinced him to come out to my farm to shoot it this weekend but he/we cant stop shooting it till we see if it can run 500 rounds of different types of ammo through it. I'll post a analysis of the results when I get some time next week.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My unemployed friend just bought a PT1911 a couple days ago and has not shot it yet. He has nowhere to shoot so I convinced him to come out to my farm to shoot it this weekend but he/we cant stop shooting it till we see if it can run 500 rounds of different types of ammo through it. I'll post a analysis of the results when I get some time next week.
Mine has not had any problems with factory ball, swc and hp ammo. Even likes the cci aluminum case stuff.

Have fun.

Todd

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I don't have a Taurus but gave one a pretty serious look because I wanted a .45 with a rail. What's odd is that the great price scares some folks off because they think it's a low quality gun.

I ended up buying a Warrior for a lot more money than the Taurus, but I like it and know Kimber's well. Fortunately it's been a really good gun- my Kimber's have either been stellar or lemons- no middle ground for me. Everything in the collection now works up to full spec. No prob's at all.

I don't mind less expensive guns- my P90 Ruger is a tank, not suitable for carry, and it weighs a ton. That all said-- it eats any ammo I load including Wolff and Blazer aluminum and I can't pick the year it last choked a round. It's probably more accurate than I am to boot. It'll work every time the trigger is pulled.

So yes- get a Taurus. Great gun, especially for the money.

Neil.
Dallas, TX.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Taurus PT 1911AR

Just throwing my 2 cents worth. I bought a RIA a couple of months ago and after shoooting and carrying it I decided for me that a 45 was the way to go.. I then decided being left handed I needed a ambi safety and then I was good to go...After talking to my local gunsmith who is a 45 fanatic and keep a long story short, it is being customized and machined plus cera kote. So i decided to go and maybe look for another decent priced 45 and found the Taurus PT1911AR. I am not a Taurus fan but the gun felt good, had what I was looking for, and was not a arm and a leg.. I have had it now for a couple of weeks and have put around 300-350 rounds through it..I have put FMJ, reloads from my gunsmith, and some older ammo my father had..No problems at all. The fit and finish is not as good as some higher ends i have seen but you do get what you pay for.. All I can say is when I aim at the bull at 25 yards and squeeze the trigger, It goes boom..For the money I am more than happy..

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
If you want the truth about PTs you will not find them in a biased internet board...you can spin wheels all day long reading the "I love em" and "I hate em" posts....Sure they can shoot reliably, they can go xxxx rounds before a FTF or the like, but what makes it what it is????

if you want to know the real skinny about Taurus, just ask any competent smith that knows about forgings - their hardness/quality, whether being milspec is important or not, and the quality of parts across the board...you will find out what you need. :eek: My opinion holds no water in this arena...but I'm not asking to take my word on it....ask a knowledgable smiff!!:eek:

Asking to trust your life is a little misleading...if your PT goes bang everytime then of course.....but know that I am not taking a rubber raft to a boat race...can I trust a rubber raft to save my life??..you betcha!! LOL :p

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
any competent smith that knows about forgings - their hardness/quality, whether being milspec is important or not, and the quality of parts across the board
Dave, I doubt that very many competent smiths *assume you mean gun smiths who do custom work on 1911s* are as knowledgeable about metallurgy to the degree you think. Sure they can go great work; but I bet only a hand full even have a Rockwell or Brinell Hardness Tester or know the chemical composition of the steel in the frame. Define MILSPEC used for 1911A1 pistols that the US Government uses. That's MILSPEC. Short for Military Specification; includes minimum and maximum tolerances, sizes, shapes, materials, interchangeability of parts, etc...

I'm an old contracting officer; I know a bit about specs...

My opnion about a gun's performance - does it do what I need or want it to do? Everytime? Do the guns I own and shoot do this? So far; if I wasn't confident in them and my ability to use them I wouldn't carry them. Do I trust my life to the guns I carry? You bet I do.

Here's a thought though. For 4 years I carried a Glock 17 everyday for work and now I carry an H&K USP2000 .40 S&W at work. I know both of these guns have been tested extensively (and have passed contract specifications including performance and failure rates, etc.). That Fusion, or Taurus, or Colt, or Kimber? When you get right down to it - they haven't passed the same rigid tests. Wait? The Kimber SIS that the LAPD bought? Hand built to a contract spec; not the same gun as the over the counter SIS....

I trust my abilities to clear a failure if it happens; we train to respond to the failures on a regular basis; we also train on gun usage if partially incapacitated. Can you lock your 1911 back one handed, get a new magazine, reload, and shoot a threat while under pressure? I can. I'm not bragging; but like you say there's a whole lot more to gun reliability and performance then # of rounds or metallurgy. Heck each Colt Python, a very high quality revolver was individually hand finished - can't interchange parts but those Pythons can shoot...

A lot of factors determine reliability; lots of money per unit isn't necessarily a measure of reliability.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
The funny thing is that MOST 1911 manufacturers are using MIM parts now a-days and even using cast frames and slides instead of forged... Taurus uses Forged frames and slides (unless otherwise noted) and they also supply many, many other manufacturers with MIM parts since they manufacturer their MIM parts "in-house" ... I would not be surprised if Springfield used MIM supplied by Taurus since they are made in Brazil as well.

Which manufacturers out there use all forged parts?
Not all Metal Injected Mold parts are equal. Not all inspection and standards for inspection are equal. Tolerances are different. Quality of the labor force available has impact on finished product. Quality of the raw materials is a factor. Expectations of consistancy is higher with higher priced firearms.
I'd buy a Taurus in a heartbeat if they made a Commander, with out all the crap written on the sides...LOL

·
Registered
111 Posts
The question was...

would you trust your life with a Taurus PT1911. That's a yes or no question. While it's great to hear stories and experiences with or about this example of a 1911, the real answer should be based on whether you think it will go bang if you squeeze the trigger.

If you base your answer on an assumption that it might not, and thus could not unequivocally answer "yes" to the question, then you would have to respond the same for any 1911. There are no guarantees with any of them, low-priced, high-priced, off the shelf or custom. And if someone chooses to disagree with that, so be it. But, if so, I would present a challenge that we should meet at a place of your choosing, with any 1911 you choose, and shoot it until it fails "to go bang" when you squeeze the trigger. Because I assure you that that, at some point, will occur. And that could be the trigger squeeze that was required to save your life.

·
Banned
772 Posts
Not all Metal Injected Mold parts are equal. Not all inspection and standards for inspection are equal. Tolerances are different. Quality of the labor force available has impact on finished product. Quality of the raw materials is a factor. Expectations of consistancy is higher with higher priced firearms.
I'd buy a Taurus in a heartbeat if they made a Commander, with out all the crap written on the sides...LOL
Very good post. Some castings are amazing, look at Caspians which use cast frames. They used to make a forged frame but the interest wasn't there because of the price. Now they use a cast product which is state of the art that is about as strong as a good forging. I think sometimes you need to remember that if it works, great, if it doesn't... crap happens. I would prefer no MIM just because of the quality control issues. You have seen kimbers with MIM last for 20,000 rounds, then others that only go for 100. Same with Taurus, some do great, some not so much. I know when it comes down to it, I don't count Kimber as a "Quality" maker. Yea their fit and finish may be better, but good lord they turned into just a mass production pistol. Now Dan Wesson is using No MIM parts, which is right about $1000. It is all in just what you want, and what you want to pay. There is no right or wrong, just what you like to shoot.

·
Registered
678 Posts
would you trust your life with a Taurus PT1911. That's a yes or no question. While it's great to hear stories and experiences with or about this example of a 1911, the real answer should be based on whether you think it will go bang if you squeeze the trigger.

If you base your answer on an assumption that it might not, and thus could not unequivocally answer "yes" to the question, then you would have to respond the same for any 1911. There are no guarantees with any of them, low-priced, high-priced, off the shelf or custom. And if someone chooses to disagree with that, so be it. But, if so, I would present a challenge that we should meet at a place of your choosing, with any 1911 you choose, and shoot it until it fails "to go bang" when you squeeze the trigger. Because I assure you that that, at some point, will occur. And that could be the trigger squeeze that was required to save your life.
While I agree somewhat with what you have said I think anyone can make a good decision on what gun will run longer than another even if the same platform is being discussed. My old beater SA runs better than .5% failures while some I see run at 3-6%. might be cleaning, reloads or other issues but the fact remains that just because they all will fail eventually does not mean that we have to choose one because it's close to the same thing.......

Just because it will accure at some point does not mean we should not do everything possible with in reason to minimize it.....

FWIW

Tony

·
Registered
111 Posts
While I agree somewhat with what you have said I think anyone can make a good decision on what gun will run longer than another even if the same platform is being discussed. My old beater SA runs better than .5% failures while some I see run at 3-6%. might be cleaning, reloads or other issues but the fact remains that just because they all will fail eventually does not mean that we have to choose one because it's close to the same thing.......

Just because it will accure at some point does not mean we should not do everything possible with in reason to minimize it.....

FWIW

Tony
I agree completely. The key to any potentially reliable and effective 1911 is to determine what it takes to make it as reliable and effective as possible. That will vary from gun to gun. It's like Indy race cars. Each crew does something a little different, with an automobile that has the potential to win, to accomplish victory. Only one truely succeeds, I suppose, but they all make the attempt based on what they have evaluated as the tweaks and adjustments needed to eek the max performance from the car. There are certainly other factors involved in any race. Luck and the driver for sure.

In the case of protecting one's life, a bit of luck is most likely also involved...and the shooter (driver) has to at least be good enough to point the gun (car) in the right direction.

·
Banned
260 Posts
I agree completely. The key to any potentially reliable and effective 1911 is to determine what it takes to make it as reliable and effective as possible. That will vary from gun to gun. It's like Indy race cars. Each crew does something a little different, with an automobile that has the potential to win, to accomplish victory. Only one truely succeeds, I suppose, but they all make the attempt based on what they have evaluated as the tweaks and adjustments needed to eek the max performance from the car. There are certainly other factors involved in any race. Luck and the driver for sure.

In the case of protecting one's life, a bit of luck is most likely also involved...and the shooter (driver) has to at least be good enough to point the gun (car) in the right direction.
:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch: As someone famous once said: Sometimes its better to not say anything and be thought dumb, than it is to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had one for a while. It was accurate, reliable and easy to shoot well. But, I said no to carry for one reason, the grip safety just didn't work for me, which is why I sold it. Due to its popularity, I got good re-sale value. Overall, I think it is a good value. I do want to try the new 9mm version.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts