1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I called my local dealer today, and got him started on a new pistol project for me. I told him I wanted a quality 1911 for the base model for a new duty pistol project, and he told me, with a straight face, that a Taurus PT1911 was the exact same gun, just with a different stamp, and that S&W had sold their plans to Taurus, just like Beretta did years ago.

Is he on crack, or is this true? (I'm thinking crack)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Is he on crack, or is this true? (I'm thinking crack)
I'm thinking that it's far more likely that he's smoking goat droppings.

·
Registered
445 Posts
He's either a tard or trying to unload the Tauras guns because either no ones buying them or he makes more off each one then he does the smiths. Think about this for a second why would they need to buy plans for a gun that everyone already has the plans for its a freakin 1911 been around a while, also S&W has external extractors tauras has internal so how can they be the exact same thing? :barf: I would let him know hes a moran and go buy my guns somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Naw, it can't be! Smith & Wesson 1911s usually work.... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It's been said that after S&W fulfilled a contract to make revolvers in Brazil, they sold the plant to Taurus (from what I hear, S&W basically abandoned the place when they were done with it). That was where Taurus got their start making their S&W-like revolvers. That was a couple of decades ago at least.

So I guess you could say there was a tiny grain of truth in there, in that some Taurus guns are S&W-based. But that's about it.
He is an idiot.

·
Registered
509 Posts
go to the TAURUS website and look up the history and it will explain but it doesnt mention SMITH i dont think i cant remember ... i have always been told that SMITH and TAURUS are like sister companies... YOUR DEALER IS NOT VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE WATCH HIM AND WATCH HIM CLOSELY !!

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Sounds like BS to me.. I agree with the other poster if there the same gun ask him to sell you a S&W for the same price.. S&W is Americian made! That speaks volumes!

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's been said that after S&W fulfilled a contract to make revolvers in Brazil, they sold the plant to Taurus (from what I hear, S&W basically abandoned the place when they were done with it). That was where Taurus got their start making their S&W-like revolvers. That was a couple of decades ago at least.

So I guess you could say there was a tiny grain of truth in there, in that some Taurus guns are S&W-based. But that's about it.
He is an idiot.

It wasn't S&W, it was Beretta. Taurus purchased the equipment that was used by Beretta and started making a copy of the Model 92. They were already making S&W knock off revolvers before this.

BTW your dealer is probably saying this because he is pricing the Taurus very close to the S&W to make extra money and rip people off.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have heard plenty of stupid things come out of other dealers mouths over the years, but that one was pretty bad.

You seriously need to find a new dealer. If he is that wrong, or that big a liar, who knows what other BS he has told you!

Run Forest Run!:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well it is kinda true. We all know that there is only one gun manufacturer that makes all guns. They just put different stampings on the guns.

I'll put the pipe down now. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Naw, it can't be! Smith & Wesson 1911s usually work.... :biglaugh:
quite so...
It wasn't S&W, it was Beretta. Taurus purchased the equipment that was used by Beretta and started making a copy of the Model 92. They were already making S&W knock off revolvers before this.

BTW your dealer is probably saying this because he is pricing the Taurus very close to the S&W to make extra money and rip people off.
I'm pretty sure the story runs along similar lines for both Beretta and S&W. Both companies leased/sold the equipment and plans to Forjas Taurus after their respective government contracts ran out.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I did confuse how it happened with what company, but both S&W and Beretta had ties to Taurus. Taurus bought out Beretta's equipment. Taurus and S&W were under same ownership for a while.

On the S&W/Taurus end, Bangor Punta owned S&W for 15 or 20 years and had controlling interest in Taurus for seven or eight years during the middle of that time.
Interesting how Taurus downplays any S&W contributions in the link below, but it sure seems like Taurus revolvers got a lot more "S&W-like" during that time than the other way around.

http://www.taurususa.com/company/history.cfm

·
Registered
23,211 Posts
Being the owner of many 1911s, including S&W, plus several S&W DA pistols (Not 1911), plust the S&W 945 (SA, S&W, but not 1911 exactly), I would vote he was smoking crack. Oh yes, one of the many 1911s I own is a Taurus PT1911.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
C'mon, EVERYONE knows that Taurus 1911s are made at the same factory as Springfield guns are. After all, they're both in Brazil, right?:biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Exactly. I also heard from BigBear's dealer that Osama and Elvis are down there overseeing production.... :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts