1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get some info on the LLama line of 45's. I think I remember back a while ago they were said not to be that good. Just wondering because I have seen a few at some gun shows and they are pretty inexpensive. just wondering how reliable they are?

·
Banned
462 Posts
I don't know anything about their .45's but I had a 9mm once. In a word...sucked.

I wouldn't use one as a paperweight.

VR,
Harold

·
Registered
602 Posts
The only one I ever examined - and to be fair, this was quite some time ago - was junk. It would fire with the safety on, with the grip safety out and while out of battery. If you pulled the trigger, the hammer would fall.

Some of the internal parts seemed to have been filed by hand out of scrap. By a drunk.

I've heard the new ones are OK. Don't pay more than you can afford to lose.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
filed by hand out of scrap. By a drunk.
I've heard the new ones are OK.

Perhaps AA had a hand in this??:)
L.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
they are some pretty good pistols, quality is on par with Star or Astra. I find their nomenclature pretty confusing though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've had two; one an older one and one newer Max-I. Both were reliable with FMJ and, after a throat job, JHP. The finish wasn't artwork, but it was functional. Not all 1911 parts interchange though. IMHO, Llama pistols are good shooters for their price; but don't expect wilson or colt accuracy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I only have experince with one and it is right here next to me..lol its a SS mini max 45. i have had it for about 12- 13 years now. its got thousands of rounds through it. it is very picky on the ammo it likes. it will shoot corbon +p ammo well though. reliabilty is good, i use it mostly for around the house and places that I am not as worried about bad juju. in those cases i take my SA loaded . I paid $324 NIB. if you are looking for a concealed carry gun i would say spend the money and get a nicer gun. if you want something just to throw lead or something for fun then its a cool lil gun. I would not get rid of mine even after all the crap i have heard bad, Well that and it was my first 1911

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
The one and only Llama I ever owned ws a .45. I wrote about it here that it was the worse firearm I ever owned. It misfired, failed to eject, failed to feed, hammer followed down, and was not accurate. And the finish was lousy. Ill never buy another Spanish gun after that. If you have one that works, I congratulate you.

·
Registered
788 Posts
had some experiences

with 3 of them, all .45s, in the late '80s.
They were OK for a budget priced plinker. Not overly accurate but functioned well.
Mine lost it's external extractor and my buddy's gun suffered from some unusual erosion around the breechface/firing pin.

My Dad's worked OK until it was stolen from his shabby apartment but he didn't shoot his nearly as much as me and my pal did ours.

Standard 1911 magazines will work in them but they are a loose fit and will rattle side-to-side. Colt pattern grips will not fit, they must be Llama only.

While the design and fitting was alright, the quality of materials used (like softer steel) keeps them from being classified as premium arms.

Too many good quality budget priced 1911 pistols on the market now to make any purchase of an old Llama worthwhile.:(

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Experience with Llama

Llama had a reputation in the past for having lower quality (soft) steel. I don't know if they have improved over the years. Star, out of Spain, also had a problem with soft steel at one time, but they improved their quality. Even so, Star went out of business. Once a negative stigma about a gun manufacturer is perceived, it is difficult to overcome.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I like the Spanish major makes, but definitely prefer Star and Astra over Llama, just a personal preference. I've owned many Stars and a nice Astra 400, still have a cool Star Model 28, which is somewhat rare. need to get another 400 while Sarco has them cheap, and another Model A to go with it. what the heck.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
LOL, I purchased a Llama 1911 back in 1986 I think it was, WHAT A PIECE A JUNK, I mean, cash for clunkers SAVE ME.

It's seen 3 different gunsmiths and still doesn't fire. I've since welded a steel plug inside the bbl and use the weapon for concealed carry drills and as a paperweight.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
that's not going to help any.:)
LOL, neither were the 3 gunsmiths.

Ok, here we go, when I purchased the weapon, I took it to the range and it jammed every other round. I changed magazines, and still had issues. I took it to a local gunsmith who did his magic, but his magic failed some, it did improve the weapon some as it then jammed about every 4th round. We tried new springs and same thing. I then sent it off to a world class smith and he couldn't get it working without modifying the frame and slide and that would have cost too much so I took it to a 3rd smith who said the same. I've talked on and off again with people in my gun club who've owned these Llama 1911's and all have similar stories. Now, let it be said that Llama can make good weapons as I have a Llama Omni that's seen literally thousands upon thousands of rounds and has never once jammed. I'm thinking it might have been that design that gave them issues, who really knows?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I've had a Llama full-sized .45 for about 12 years. It's always worked with ball ammo, but would not feed semi-wadcutters reliably. I haven't shot it in years since I became able to afford better guns, but the Llama did work. Terrible sights, but decent accuracy and functionality for the <$300 I paid for it new.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I've had a Llama full-sized .45 for about 12 years. It's always worked with ball ammo, but would not feed semi-wadcutters reliably. I haven't shot it in years since I became able to afford better guns, but the Llama did work. Terrible sights, but decent accuracy and functionality for the <$300 I paid for it new.
Yeah, thats about what I paid, I think the total after tax came to something like 286.00

·
Registered
78 Posts
IMO Not the most high quality pistols out there, but if you are looking for a shooter it might be worth it, if the price is right.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts