1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given this pistol by a friend who's leaving for overseas for the long-term:

Port side:
-------------
Model 1911-A1
CAL .45

Starboard:
-------------
Springfield Armory (with Ordnance logo)
Geneseo IL USA
NM 139xxx

Can anyone tell me nearly the date of manufacture, and the significance of the serial number? What's the 'NM' represent?

It's brand new without box. Totally milspec-looking, with diamond-style wooden grips.

No box, and came with one Wilson Combat magazine.

I put my stupid Glock 17 9mm pre-ban back in the safe and am solely using this one now.

Just got back from the range. I need a lot of practice with it, but am getting solid black hits in the center ring using those targets that have the 'O-clock' position descriptions that tell the shooter if he's using too much 'thumbing'/'wrist breaking up'/'jerking'/Relaxing too soon' etc..

This pistol is a cannon, and never jammed on me once in 150 rounds.

What a great pistol this is.

Thanks for all replies.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That's one heck of a friend to leave you a SA mil-spec. Sounds like Springfields basic model (somewhat like a 1911A1 military model) with a few modifications. Your pistol probably has a throated barrel and higher, possibly 3 dot sights. Newer versions have a lowered and flared ejection port, with the funky looking lockable mainspring housing, and a half moon cut in the chamber area of the barrel which serves as a chamber loaded indicator. Can't advise on the serial number. People speculate that NM stands for National Match, which in general terms in 45's supposedly stands for "something better". This has been much debated on this forum and the general census (I think) is that some Springfields just come this way. I have a new 2001 Springfield milspec which has the NM prefix on the serial number. Very tight fitted weapon, but I suspect that nothing on it is actual "National Match" quality. You have a very good gun, new model or older model, and you should get much enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Prez
Welcome to the forum and it must be nice to have a friend like that. As to your SA you can log onto their web site springfieldarmory.com and ask them about the gun by serial number. They will tell you when it was made and in what configuration via e-mail. I asked them about an early TRP and got a response in one day.

Long live the 1911
MOLON LABE

[This message has been edited by Greg Adams (edited 09-30-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts