1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one? How do you like it? How is it comparable to a Winchester Model 70 or a Remington 700?

And what does the BOSS system do?

I am looking at rifles for deer hunting and target shooting (for fun).

Thanks

[This message has been edited by SBLars (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 374H&H that is a very accurate rifle. I have an Answer Brake on it, not the BOSS.

The rifle is light at 7lbs 1oz empty/bare and rugged with the poly stock and stainless finish. Just the thing for rabid Michigan Squirrels :)

It will put three 300gr pills in an inch-and-a-bit at 200 yards with regularity. Trigger is mediocre, cool features like detachable mag and tang safety make it a keeper.

postban out

[This message has been edited by postban (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
474 Posts
SBLARS,
I also have a Browning A-Bolt with the BOSS system in 30-06. I really like the idea of a 60 degree bolt. I have no interference between the bolt and scope with this short a throw. I also like the safety where it is mounted (to the rear of the bolt) very natural feeling and difficult to accidently disengage. The trigger pull out of the box was not to my liking (8 lbs or so) so I had a trigger job done it is now at 3 lbs with no creep. As far as the BOSS system goes I haven't played with it a lot. The rifle is very accurate (MOA accuracy) and the BOSS does indeed reduce the recoil.
I bought a stainless one with kevlar stock and have no complaints. Hope this helps.
John

------------------

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I think I like it. Gonna have my local dealer order me one in a month or so.

I am planning on getting it in .308 for dual use as hunting and range use (hence .308 for the cheaper surplus range ammo).

Since I will be using it for hunting, will the BOSS be good, bad, or indifferent?

thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have an A-bolt Varmint in .223...I am very satisfied. It will put three rounds in one hole at 100 yards..and is just the ticket for ground sqirrels out to 350 yards or so. I fiddled around with the BOSS and when set correctly does seem to improve accuracy

·
Registered
474 Posts
SB Lars,
The only negative about the BOSS system when hunting is that it is LOUD with a capital L. While it helps with recoil and claims to help tighten groups with tweaking, you will not soon forget to wear hearing protection. You will also get a CR (conventional recoil) device with your rifle. It replaces the BOSS and returns muzzle blast to acceptable levels. This may be a good option for hunting. On the other hand you will only be firing a shot or two so you may tolerate the noise, but you may not hear anything for several hours but a constant ringing.
John

------------------

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I had one in the early 90's (.308 wood stock "Hunter" grade). Very accurate, but the bolt did not like fast manipulation. Maybe the newer ones are alittle smoother.

[This message has been edited by LAK (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY SBLars:GUNNUTS HERE,Don't get the BOSS,I think you will like the A bolt.I have a stainless stalker 7 mm Mag.left hand model with out the BOSS,Shoots super!3 shots in 3/4" group at 100 yards with GOOD AMMO.,bolt is very smooth!and gets better in time,I shot one with the BOSS and did not like the noise,and it did not shoot any better,my 7 mag.does not kick very much,your 308 will be less,just my 2 cents,good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I own a Browning A-Bolt composite stalker in 7mm rem. mag. equipped with the BOSS. Recoil is less than my Rem. 700 in .270win. But, It is quite loud. I don't really notice when hunting (you know...one shot, one kill) but at the range, noise and muzzle blast will make everyone around you move to the other end of the range!! The BOSS definetly effects group size. With tweeking of the BOSS as instructed in the manual, with factory ammo, I am down to 3 shots in less than inch. at 100 yards.

The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the stock. I thought I would love the black plastic....hate it.

Good Shootin'\
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts