1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble with my first 1911 (A loaded Springfield) While complaining to my local smith / shopowner I noticed he had a Kimber Gold Match Royal. I've almost decided this one should be mine.

Give me your (un) biased opinion (Owners only please) Good or bad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm a new 1911 owner and I've only had my Stainless Gold Match a little over a week so not a lot of experience.
I've put about 350 rounds through it and it eats all my reload recipies which include SWC's and HP's. It is very accurate. Kinda purty too. Prior experience has been with a highpower-40 and 9mm neither as accurate as the Gold Match which came to me new with a 3.25 lp trigger. Love it!

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I really enjoy my Stainless Gold Match even though I have sent it back to Kimber 5 times in 8 months.If you buy 1 and the sights break, just find a diffeent brand to put on it ( Bo-mar ) Kimber sights IMHO are lousy but the gun is great

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ditto on the sights. Crapola.

I'm on the record around here as both a GM owner (bought in Oct. 98) and a proponent of not spending alot for Kimber "Custom" Shop work; instead, that money should be funneled to buy an SA or Colt platform and taking the monetary differential and sending both money and gun to a great smith for a reliability job. There's a reason why many 'smiths offer a "Kimber Reliability Package." Kimber simply does not believe in Six-Sigma QC....not even 1 or 2 Sigma. (For instance, the damn things have been known to leave the paradoxically named "Custom Shop" with rough breech faces and UNTENSIONED extractors.)

My GM now runs like a dream. However, I've probably sunk five hundred additional dollars to bring it to that condition. For the same $1,600 bucks, I could have a full house custom gun (or pretty close).

[This message has been edited by fremont (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had my stainless gold match since the middle of june. So far i've put 1,300 rds through it, i haven't had any problems with it at all, no ftf that were caused by the gun anyways (magazine problem). I'm shooting 200gr lswc as my normal load now, but it has had plenty of hardball throuh it, along with about 80 hollopoints. This gun will normally group into under an inch at 25 yds off a bench. the trigger is great at just under 3.5 lbs. The only thing i've done to this pistol is to change the plastic msh to a wilson speed chute. So far my sights are all still intacted and everyone else i know with a kimber with adj. sights are also. i would highly recommend a gold match to any one.

------------------
From time to time the tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of tyrants and patriots.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
My Goldmatch has been great except for the rear sight. It's been fixed once by Kimber. I do believe there is a sight problem, but this can be cleared up easily. Every thing else about the gun is great. I am glade I own a goldmatch, good luck on your purchase!

[This message has been edited by goldmatch45 (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've had my stainless Gold Match for about two and a half years and I have over 8,000 rounds through it without a jam or parts breakage. Haven't had ANYTHING done to it, the only thing not factory are the Wilson mags I used in it. It has consistently been the most accurate handgun I have ever owned.
Can't reccommend it highly enough.

------------------
A man with a watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches isn't so sure

·
Registered
602 Posts
My Kimber Goldmatch is a very good gun; it's incredibly accurate - feeds, ejects and fires my handloads very reliably. I have absolutely zero complaints with this gun.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Saluki9,
I had debated responding to your post for several days. I used to own a Kimber Gold Match in stainless steel. Initially, I had extractor problems with it. My problems continued even after the extractor was tensioned (failure to eject and failure to feed). I switched to Wilson magazines hoping that is was a magazine issue...still without positive results. I then took it in to a very competent gunsmith to check the barrel. He did some minor polishing and smoothing of rough edges and returned the pistol to me a week later. I still had the same failures as mentioned above. After putting 1,000 rounds downrange I became very frustrated and traded the pistol toward a Gold Cup. In the end, I couldn't get through a single magazine without a failure. Others shot this pistol with the exact same results. I am not saying that Kimber doesn't make good pistols. However, this Gold Match was not one of their better efforts. In saying that, there is a potential risk in every new pistol you buy (because you can't take it for a test drive before you buy).

------------------

·
2,953 Posts
I have taken the liberty (or exercised the power given to me - however you look at it) of editing this thread and deleting the crap (and some responses to the crap). There are too many good posts on the gold match to close or delete the thread because a few of us can't get along.

Please continue to post your experiences - good or bad - with the gold match. I would like this thread to end up being a good answer to the question given.

Be warned: any more posts containing name calling and petty arguments will be deleted like the others. My email is available if you have any concerns.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts