1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read up on the Walther PPQ, watched the Hickock45 Youtube video about the PPQ, and handled the 9mm version and found that the pistol felt great in the hand. I went to the local range and rented a PPQ and Beretta PX4 Storm, both in 40S&W. I heard that many shooters lament about the PPQ's sharp muzzle flip but figured it was not big deal. Proper gripping technique will solve that. The range did not have a 9mm version, but I figured I could get a feel for the pistol by shooting the 40 caliber version.

What I felt from shooting the 40S&W PPQ I did not enjoy. The muzzle flip was very pronounced (and now Walther is introducing a 45ACP version?). I understand the texturing and ergonomics of the pistol's grip now. A shooter needs all of that just to control the pistol. The slide also locked back after every shot. I chalked that up to it being a rental pistol and not cleaned properly. But what disappointed me most was the trigger. I read up on all the hype that it was a great trigger, and while dry firing it did feel great. But in actual use with live ammo the trigger is uncomfortable. It actually hurt my finger to squeeze the trigger.

I transitioned to shooting the Beretta PX4. It was a joyous revelation compared to the Walther PPQ, however, not as comfortable as shooting the Springfield XD. I was levitating after firing the PX4. The PPQ is out of the picture. And that hurts because I am a big fan of Walther. I own and shoot their pistols from their WWII P38 to the P88. I'm glad to have had the chance to take the PPQ for a test run. I saved up the money for a PPQ. It will be spent on something else.

·
Administrator
73,034 Posts
I have the 9mm version and love it. I also have the 9mm Glock 19 and love it too, but when I shot the .40 G23 I had the same problems as you with the .40 PPQ. The pistol torqued too much under recoil and the trigger hurt my trigger finger as well. I decided to stay with the 9mm version, and in the PPQ I would no doubt feel the same way. In fact the only .40 I ever felt was comfortable to shoot was a S&W 4006 I had, and that was only because the thing weighed as much as a Sherman tank. Maybe you should forget about a .40 and get the 9mm PPQ instead.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
I'm not a big fan of. 40 no matter the persuasion. And I'm in no way recoil sensitive. I love my PPQ M1 and VP9. It would be hard to decide between the two.

·
Premium Member
9,002 Posts
I've got the Beretta PX4 Sub-Compact (3in barrel) in .40 S&W and it's a good shooter. Never failed on me and the POA=POI. Beretta makes good guns. I also have their Nano (micro-9mm). The one thing I don't like about the PX4 is the safety lever moves up to fire, down to engage the safety, which is the opposite of American made guns and what I am used to.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Over the last year or so I've got to shoot a good percentage of poly guns in both 9mm and .40 along with other cals.. If I were to pick polymer gun I would without a doubt go with the Glocks, I shoot better with them than anything else of that kind and see no advantages in the Beretta or Walther although I'm usually a fan. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The .40 S&W is the threshold that separates most shooters, especially with hotter 155 & 165 gr. defense ammo. You just found out which side of the fence you're on. ;)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I bought my first PPQ, in 9mm, when it walked into the LGS shortly after the release. I'm a big fan of the H&K guns and this seemed to be an improvement. Shot it and loved it. Easily one of the better guns I own. Trigger is/was, perfection, not quite a 1911 but the much shorter reset was a revelation.
A model in 40 S&W showed up a couple of weeks later and I grabbed it. Headed out to the range with both guns and a couple of boxes of varied hard ball and defensive ammo. Ran a mag or two of 9mm through that gun and then switched to the 40. The grip on the 40 was unchanged from the box, the 9 and the larger grip panel on it. The 40, for me, actually had less muzzle flip and the recoil felt about the same. I switched the grip with the one on the 9 and the gun became more difficult to control. Switched both guns to the smallest grip insert and the control came back. Never an issue with either gun bothering my trigger finger.
The only issue with the trigger on either gun has been the tendency of new to the gun shooters to have inadvertent double taps with the 40. This has happened to the gun shop owner, a very experienced detective, the range officer at the same PD and myself. Once you learn to hold the trigger to the rear and not release the trigger until sights are back in alignment, the problem goes away. BTW, no shot ever went higher than the 8 ring. I almost call that a plus.
OP, something sounds very wrong with the gun you had.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Muzzle flip on my 9mm PPQ is nonexistent. It has the best trigger of all striker fired handguns.

·
Administrator
73,034 Posts
The .40 S&W is the threshold that separates most shooters, especially with hotter 155 & 165 gr. defense ammo. You just found out which side of the fence you're on. ;)
I can shoot a .45ACP all day long, yet most .40 pistols beat me up after just a few magazines. Something about the sharp recoil impulse and the way the guns want to torque in my hand. A .45 of course recoils more but the force is more of a hard shove than a kick.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
With the .40 in most polymer guns, its a combination of bullet weight and related loadings, the weight and barrel length of the gun, and how much the shooter allows themselves to be bothered. Once you get used to shooting really heavy recoiling guns, you start to mentally block out the effects of recoil. I shoot everything from snubby .500 magnum and a few .44 magnums, to compact 9mm's, and just don't get bothered by recoil much anymore. As far as follow-up shots are concerned, if you make a really good first shot, follow-up shots are a moot point. It is more important how quickly your first shot gets on target than all the rest.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got the Beretta PX4 Sub-Compact (3in barrel) in .40 S&W and it's a good shooter. Never failed on me and the POA=POI...The one thing I don't like about the PX4 is the safety lever moves up to fire, down to engage the safety, which is the opposite of American made guns and what I am used to.
I forgot to mention that POA=POI for the PPQ and PX4 during my trial. I put the target at 21 feet. Question for you: can the PX4 use the same magazines used for the 92FS?

The .40S&W is the threshold that separates most shooters, especially with hotter 155 & 165 gr. defense ammo. You just found out which side of the fence you're on. ;)
I own an HK USP 40 compact in 40 and also a Browning Hi-power in 40. I shoot those just fine, albeit, I have only used 180gr ammo. The BHP chambered in 40 is a fine weapon!

Switched both guns to the smallest grip insert and the control came back...OP, something sounds very wrong with the gun you had.
Thanks for the insight with the grip inserts. The PPQ did have some functioning problems with locking after each shot. I remember trying the Walther P99 9mm at Bullseye Shooter Supply in Tacoma, WA over a decade ago. My experience with that pistol was also negative. That was the same night I tried the Springfield XD and was duly impressed. So maybe my results with the PPQ should not have surprised me so much. For now my experience with Walther plastic guns have been consistently negative. There must be something about the way the grip is shaped or angled that causes me discomfort when shooting.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Question for you: can the PX4 use the same magazines used for the 92FS? No.

I have the Px4 Compact 9mm. It shoots g8 and has reduced recoil.

Also, look into putting Talon grips on any polymer gun you get. They dramatically improve the grip. I used the rubber versions.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stumbled on a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 9mm NIB for $250 and bought it. I like the Taurus more than the Walther PPQ or the Berretta Px4 Storm!

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
all range reports are appreciated - good or bad

I'm not familiar with the 2 pistols that you shot but I am familiar with the .40cal round - and it's my 2nd favorite round, just behind .357mag (.45acp coming in third - and I've got 4 other semi custom 1911s in .45acp)

I have two pistols in .40 - a long slide Glock 24 and an STI Tactical single stack - when I take one of these to the range, the other goes along and I compete one against the other - the g24 sits nightstand duty because of it's capacity - 22rounds of .40cal sweetness

as an add, I've never given in to the theory of ".40cal snap" while .45acp has a push

and while I'm on the .40cal subject I would like to have a Beretta CX4 Storm (PCC) in .40cal (but already have one in 9mm)

·
Registered
445 Posts
all range reports are appreciated - good or bad

I'm not familiar with the 2 pistols that you shot but I am familiar with the .40cal round - and it's my 2nd favorite round, just behind .357mag (.45acp coming in third - and I've got 4 other semi custom 1911s in .45acp)

I have two pistols in .40 - a long slide Glock 24 and an STI Tactical single stack - when I take one of these to the range, the other goes along and I compete one against the other - the g24 sits nightstand duty because of it's capacity - 22rounds of .40cal sweetness

as an add, I've never given in to the theory of ".40cal snap" while .45acp has a push

and while I'm on the .40cal subject I would like to have a Beretta CX4 Storm (PCC) in .40cal (but already have one in 9mm)
Both your .40 cal pistols are both on the heavier side compared to a compact polymer pistol. Shoot a compact polymer and you will feel more of a "snappy" recoil. Have a 2nd Gen G23 and for me it's "snappy" and usually only run a box through it and i'm done with it. Plan on getting a full size 1911, CZ75 or BHP in .40 which should greatly reduce the "snappy" and make me "happy"!
I'm sure size of hands and body also help in the "snappy" dept.
Also agree w/ your liking of the .357 round. Have lately been sending more and more rounds of .357 downrange via my 686-6 5" and SP101 3"! :):)

·
Administrator
73,034 Posts
The PPQ is one of those pistols that is best in its original caliber. The 9mm ones are great, but the .40 has too much muzzle flip and in my opinion the .45 version is ridiculously huge. I've got a 9mm PPQ M1 and think highly of it, but I have no interest in owning any of the other variations. I used to have the M2 version but couldn't stop fretting over possible issues with the super-light mag release.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
I stumbled on a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 9mm NIB for $250 and bought it. I like the Taurus more than the Walther PPQ or the Berretta Px4 Storm!
HA!!...I impulse bought one because of the price .
I'm not a Taurus fan ..matter of fact, I've been a Taurus basher for quite some time .
Truth is, I LOVE my G2...I shoot it lights out fast 'n straight .
it's the cheapest pistol I currently own and among the top in the "intuitively easy" to shoot well/fast ..imagine that

By contrast, I couldn't sell my HK USP 40c fast enough.
Ran great, well made (German made) reasonably accurate from the rest.
But a what a disappointment shooting it..wasn't an "easy" to shoot well pistol
I shoot Glocks better..and until I got the HK, they were the least easy to shoot well/fast pistol

as far as the PPQ, never shot one .
if i stumbled on a "great" deal for one, I might buy one
But, otherwise, it's one that's never been on my radar

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I find the px4 in 40 has the least amount recoil of any poly gun.
You should try a Grand Power P40. It also uses a rotating barrel, which really eats up the recoil. I have the P40 in 10mm and have been very impressed. My other 10mm guns usually throw brass 20-30 feet away. The Grand Power tosses it 8-12 feet at my 5. I was really surprised by how soft a 155gr. hollow point sitting over 9.3gr. of 800x shot. It's not a nuclear load, but it's not an FBI lite load either. Speaking of which, when I shoot PPU 10mm out of it the brass is landing around my feet.:) And all of this with a 14lb recoil spring, amazing.

p40 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFe_dz1Hs0E

1 - 20 of 33 Posts