1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently shot my new stainless Loaded. Accuracy was nice and apart from a couple of failure of slide to close completely reliability is ok. I did notice some problems

1: Gun shoots 3 inches low. Anyone else have this problem?
2: the 'memory pad' on the grip safety sticks out a lot and plain hurts!!! Need to grind it off. Any one else prefer the oldstyle grip safety?
3.At the end of the session I noticed a burr on the feed ramp of the barrel. Cause of hangups? Most likely.
4. On stripping the gun One of the grip bushings came off the frame when I tried to remove the grips!!!

I examined the pistol and I believe mine is a retrofitted 2000 model. The front sight has a pin and lo and behold it's in a blind hole!!! Inside the slide there is no hole corresponding to where that pin should be. There goes changing the front sight myself.
I'm keeping the gun since it's accurate. I am slightly miffed that it shoots 3 inches low. At least the windage was dead center. I am most likely going to send the pistol to Kurt Wickmann or Novaks and have it dehorned, deburred and sighted in properly with a gold bead sight. Will post report when mods completed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2001 was shooting 2 to 3 inches low at 10 yards. Springfield replaced the front sight with a .14 target sight. It now shoots to point of aim. Springfield paid for shipping both ways.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
BK

Your Springfield was shooting 3 inches low at what distance? You did not mention your shooting experience, or experience with 1911s. Are you sure you are not flinching? If you are not used to shooting a new pistol you will flinch just before the trigger breaks. This is a common issue with new shooters and when switching between pistols that have different trigger pulls. You will tend to flinch when you shoot a pistol with a heavier trigger pull since you are expecting the pistol to fire earlier.

I suggest that you make sure your trigger mechanism is lubricated and shoot your pistol some more. Once you have at least 300 round through it then decide if it needs work.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been shooting for a few years. The pistol shot low at 7, 10, 15 yards. I practise dry fire nightly to prevent flinch. With the Springfield I was able to get some of the tightest groups I have ever shot...it's very accurate. The groups are just 3 inches low. I never had this problem with my stock BHP, Custom BHP, or Beretta 92F (which has an even heavier trigger than my new 1911). I think the gun is good but needs a bit of custom tuning (mainly sharp edges and the dumb painful speedbump...plus repair the grip bushing!!!)

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
2 yes the pad is large and the top wher the pad meets the beavertail is a square corner making it worse

4 degreese the threaded hole in the frame and the escution. use some 271 locktite (red stuff) and locktite it in. tomorrow when you take it out the grip screw will come out instead. or have it staked in.
geo ><>

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I should have got a Colt.
No Kimbers since they have lots of problems too. When I bought the Springfield I figured I wouldn't have too many problems. I didn't know about the Speedbump hurting my hand and that's my fault, but the gun shooting low, loose grip screw bushing, and ding on the feed ramp are things I don't expect on a $1300(Canadian dollars) gun. My $300 (Canadian dollars) Norinco didn't give me so much grief!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, I have a 2001 stainless loaded and love it! No ftf and I don't find the 'memory pad' to be uncomfortable (I like it better than the smooth one on my friends mil-spec). I don't beleve mine to be a retrofit could this be part of the problem? I feel confident that springfield will make it right if you send it back. My friend just had to send in his mil-spec due to following (from a bad trigger job he had done when he got the gun 3 years ago) They not only repaired the gun and paid shipping but when he got it back it had the trigger pull he wanted in the first place!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a SA loaded ss 45 and here are my results:
1: Shoots to POA
2: Don't even feel the mem groove
3: I had a bur on the slide rails that I found before round 1 went out of the gun. I felt that tiny Bind. Polished it off and smooth was the new word.
4: welp.. Mine stayed put

Question? What kind of grip do u use. Thumb on safety or under?
As for someone to do any work, the nice gentleman in row three that gave you a solution suggestion, George Smith, comes Highly recomended!

------------------
George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts