1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just used Tetralube grease - I think I'm a believer. Did I use too much? The slide feels very strange, smoothly gliding by; but feeling like it's moving through molasses. But the gun did the job - this stuff keeps working.

BTW - is this lube just some rebadged lube I can buy cheaper under another name? (Thought I'd ask).

However, I now have some of the obligatory dirt on my slide. Will wiping off the dirt remove enough lube that I should reapply, or will the smallest surface coating continue to protect?

thanks,
Battler.

[This message has been edited by Battler (edited 11-21-2001).]

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I fell in love with Tetra lube the first time I used it. I don't think you can put on too much. I use a small model paintbrush and cover rails, lugs, sear, anything that rubs anything else. It's not another product re-packaged, I read it's a new synthetic lube with Teflon that bonds to the metal surface. I think if you wipe dirt off it will still leave a protective film. BTW- Tetra is good for just about any metal, but if you have SS guns check out the Rig +P lube (Brownells has it) as I think it's really good and made specifically for SS.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's great stuff... the grease... Their oil? Well, I love to use it for the bore, as it's made cleanup a sinch, as in no leading or copper fouling, but it stinks to high heck!

·
Banned
217 Posts
The only downside to Tetra grease is that it will combine with powder fouling and dry into something hard. So it makes cleaning a bit more difficult.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Tetra G is an outstanding lube, but not a miracle product.

It is a bit strange in application as mentioned, depending on the surface.

Tetra is meant to be rubbed in and the excess buffed off with a soft cloth, leaving a relatively dry, shiny surface.

Tetra is available only under their name, although a larger container meant for industry might be available.

Milcomm TW-25B, while a different formulation, is quite similar in application and performance. Tetra is a bit better at wear resistance and TW-25B is a better corrosion preventative.

I dislike products that can't be easily seen on the surfaces of my weapons, as this makes inspection and regular maintenance more difficult IMO.

I prefer Break-Free CLP except where a grease is required, like the trigger bar/connector juncture on a Glock. This is where a spot of Tetra G works wonders.

Another excellent set of products to try is Muscle Products FP-10, which is a CLP-type product, and PL-10 grease. www.mpc-home.com

Nothing replaces regular preventative maintenance.

On another note, RIG+P fails every ASTM wear test that its entered in. It is a lousy lubricant compared to Tetra or one of the other products mentioned above. No comparison

Regards,
Clayton
www.tetraproducts.com

[This message has been edited by CH (edited 11-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CH (edited 11-22-2001).]

·
Registered
366 Posts
I too apply Tetra Gun lubricant with a model paint brush. Then I lay a bead of Break Free along the rails. Simply wipe off the excess lube that will migrate to the rear of the slide/frame after several cycling motions. Stainless requires a bit more lube that regular blued.
If you have visible dirt IN the moving parts of the slide railing, then diassemble, clean it & reapply lube.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
?? I would have thought that the rails was the spot that would most want the Tetra grease.

CLP on the rails? That was the (unsuccessful) lube I was using previously!

Originally posted by Chico:
I too apply Tetra Gun lubricant with a model paint brush. Then I lay a bead of Break Free along the rails. Simply wipe off the excess lube that will migrate to the rear of the slide/frame after several cycling motions. Stainless requires a bit more lube that regular blued.
If you have visible dirt IN the moving parts of the slide railing, then diassemble, clean it & reapply lube.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I use the grease for carry guns and guns with a loose frame/slide fit(it stays put). After a little shooting the excess will work its way out. I haven't been able to bring myself to trust it to work well after wiping most of it off.

But I don't use it on guns with tight slide/frame fits as it slows the slide down noticeably. Oil will stay put in a tight fit so I use the Tetra Oil or Ultima Lube on a carry gun with tight fit.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I tetra grease the main frinction points. (Where I see shiny metal) I still have to use some type of wet lube on the rails and barrel to keep the gun going over 150 rds. I think the CLP gets the dirt moving, doesn't let it cake on.

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts