1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving this some thought and I don't have a firm answer myself.

For the most part I like carrying concealed. It leaves only me and my family knowing I have a firearm. Therefore I don't draw attention to myself, etc.

The issue is comfort and wearing out clothes carrying a FS1911 IWB. I could stay mostly concealed with my dress style by switching to a nice leather pancake holster. (I'm currently saving up for a smaller pistol more suitable for EDC).

Being able to open carry also elevates the issues of say reaching for something on the top shelf at the grocery store. And there has been one instance at a gas station parking lot at 2am where I raised my shirt revealing my pistol to an addict who kept bothering me.

However full concealment means I can quickly go in and out of "No Guns Allowed" establishments when I need to. (such as places that handle mail).

As of now I'm thinking I'm going to go a semi-concealed carry style, mainly for comfort and convenience.

How will your carry habits change in January 2016?

·
Banned
3,845 Posts
Going to have fewer places to go out to eat for a while. Makes me nervous--too many bubbas here. Hopefully it will die down after a few months but most of the ones I go to are going to have the new sign that states the "open carry" will be a no no..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Doesn't change my habits a bit, still concealed and less to worry about reaching to the top shelf to grab a box of ammo.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I'm looking forward to the option. Texas summers wearing an undershirt and cover garment can get pretty uncomfortable.
Things should shake out a bit by next summer, so I may go OC then.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
. Makes me nervous--too many bubbas here.
But you're OK with those same "bubbas" CCing...? Sounds like a case of Ostrich Syndrome to me...

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to have fewer places to go out to eat for a while. Makes me nervous--too many bubbas here. Hopefully it will die down after a few months but most of the ones I go to are going to have the new sign that states the "open carry" will be a no no..
I'm not sure I get what you mean. According to the law you are still required to have a handgun carry license (formerly Concealed Handgun License). The requirements to obtain one are still the same. 30.06 signs and 51% signs will still be in affect.

On a personal note it doesn't bother me one bit for others to OC around me or my family. I guess it's being around firearms all my life, and being surrounded by 500+ teenagers with shotguns at the State 4H Sporting Clays shoot in San Antonio every year.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
The Crime Prevention Research Center reports studied the period of 2005-2007. The rate of police officers facing weapons violations was 0.02%. By comparison, the study reports the Florida CHL holder rate of weapons violations was 0.008%. So police were two and a half times MORE likely to have a weapons violation than the Florida CHL holder. The 2013 Texas conviction rate for CHL Holders was a minuscule 0.3% (source: DPS Regulatory Services Division). Please note this includes many crimes unrelated to concealed carry.

What conclusions can be reached from historical data?

- The CHL approval process is both adequate and working. The bloodbath predicted by liberals when CHL became law has been wholly nonexistent. Overall, CHL holders are overwhelmingly law abiding. And a CHL is required for one to carry openly under the new Texas law.

- CHL holders are exhibiting common sense. This is evidenced by the absence of innocent bystanders and carrying Texans being shot.

- Handgun carrying protects law-abiding citizens. Not a month has gone by that at least one carrying citizen has not stopped a crime. A Crime Prevention Research Center study revealed that over eleven million Americans hold concealed carry permits (compared to four and a half million in 2007). As the concealed carry permits skyrocketed 146%, murder and violent crime rates plummeted by 22%.

Will open carry create some unease? At first, surely there will be some discomfort. But this will fade with time, as demonstrated in states that have allowed open carry for years.

Criminals and those not legally allowed to possess weapons will continue to carry concealed. Why would they risk being stopped by LEO's and asked if they have a CHL (only to be followed by arrest)?

As with concealed carry, carrying citizens are part of the solution rather than a problem. The sight of a six shooter on a hip should be comforting rather than concerning.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
I'm not sure I get what you mean. According to the law you are still required to have a handgun carry license (formerly Concealed Handgun License). The requirements to obtain one are still the same. 30.06 signs and 51% signs will still be in affect.

On a personal note it doesn't bother me one bit for others to OC around me or my family. I guess it's being around firearms all my life, and being surrounded by 500+ teenagers with shotguns at the State 4H Sporting Clays shoot in San Antonio every year.
Businesses can allow CC but bar OC by posting the specified sign (different from the 30.06 and 51% signs).

·
Banned
608 Posts
... 30.06 signs and 51% signs will still be in affect.

Sort of. 30.06 only covers concealed carry, they'll need an additional sign, I believe called 30.07, to ban OC. As it stands on Jan 1st:

30.06 posted you can legally OC
30.07 posted you can legally CC
Both posted and no carry of any kind.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am perfectly fine with others OC near me and my family. They should have a CHL so they should be fairly law abiding.

I will continue to CC due to preference, but I will carry OWB much more often and not fear the printing/bottom of holster sticking out under shirt as I move/walk/bend etc.

I think life will be much easier carrying my 5inch 1911 in the summer. OWB n a tshirt over it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll OC where I can and CC where I must. Until last month, I was planning to carry openly using an in-waist band (IWB) holster for my Tanfoglio BTA90 9mm. I did so last month in Tucson, AZ and a non-local asked me why I wasn't using a holster. Made me rethink my carry method and I switched to an outside of the waistband holster (OWB).

I had thought that an IWB would be less conspicuous for OC than and OWB. My experience in AZ made me realize that law enforcement will be looking for a holster. Thus, an obvious OWB holster may well be a better choice.

130 more days.

O. L. James III
CPT, US Army Retired (field artillery)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'm going to OC as well as CC depending on where I'm going or what I'm doing. I don't care if it bothers the whiners or not. If they are uncomfortable they can leave. If my money isn't wanted in private establishments I'm perfectly happy to go elsewhere. It's going to be alright after the first few months of coming to grips that it's OK to Open carry.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I'll CC with an OWB holster as usual. But there is a a little peace of mind with the OC law in that it's not the end of the world if someone notices you are printing or carrying.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You guys will be fine for the most part. Just don't be a jerk...set a good example.
Just like Arizona, people will get used to it pretty quick... accept in Austin ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
The media is going to be very disappointed. They are going to have to search for those open carry folks. We only have 2 % with permits, very few will open carry after the first few days. I traveled all over open carry states and very, very seldom saw a gun.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I won't have to look as hard to find num-nuts that didn't have the sense to conceal carry properly in the first place.

As for me, unless bad things happen. no-one will know I'm armed as usual.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts