1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Hopefully, the other states to which ammunition can still be shipped will follow suit. Unfortunately, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we're all good with the government deciding what fair pricing is and isn't now?

Larry
Im fine with the Attorney General responding favorably to consumer complaints about excessive price hikes during a pandemic.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Im fine with the Attorney General responding favorably to consumer complaints about excessive price hikes during a pandemic.
So who decides what's 'excessive'? Does the AG get to set maximum pricing on guns, too? Does he get to determine how many each of us get to purchase, to prevent 'hoarding'? How about ammo; does the AG get to limit ammo purchases to prevent 'hoarding'?

I've never seen the government make ANYTHING better in private enterprise; do you really think this ends well?

Larry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Notice that the linked article said nothing of Cheaper than Dirt objecting to the ruling by claiming it was their right to decide market fair pricing. I didn't take it as the government was deciding fair pricing, I saw it as they decided CTD, for no reason other than greed, took unfair advantage. Good to see but it matters not to me, I'd never buy anything from those asshats.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
The other issue is that they did the bait and switch. One price advertised then once in cart prices were jacked up. That is what gets me pissed. I'm all for free market. They can charge what they want and I can choose not purchase from them.

I look at it as an ethics thing. They clearly have none and I have not purchased from then since sandy hook.

·
Super Moderator
14,622 Posts
The other issue is that they did the bait and switch. One price advertised then once in cart prices were jacked up. That is what gets me pissed. I'm all for free market. They can charge what they want and I can choose not purchase from them.

I look at it as an ethics thing. They clearly have none and I have not purchased from then since sandy hook.
And that is deceptive advertising that IS against the law in most states. I have never purchased from them, and after Sandy Hook was when I determined that I never would.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
The other issue is that they did the bait and switch. One price advertised then once in cart prices were jacked up. That is what gets me....
This is the problem.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The bait and switch I totally get; that's widely understood to be illegal.

All the folks saying that the AG 'decided' CTD gouged or took unfair advantage, what's the standard for that? Do we now allow AG's to determine what private businesses can and cannot charge?

This isn't a gallon of milk at a corner store in the midst of a hurricane-ravaged city; this is an online retailer selling things available at literally thousands of other sites; do we really want the government 'determining' what a fair price is? Maybe they can limit how much we purchase, to prevent hoarding? See how this goes...

Larry

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
We don't want Big Brother to interfere in our lives , till we want him too.

I would have preferred to see their suppliers , the ammo manufacturers cut them off. But Capitalism and a free-market economy was one of those things that made America great. If you feel their prices are too high , just don't buy from them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
.......All the folks saying that the AG 'decided' CTD gouged or took unfair advantage, what's the standard for that?
The standard is, as a retailer you can not raise your price(s) for a necessity for no good reason during a disaster. (greed is not a good reason)

.....do we really want the government 'determining' what a fair price is? ....
Larry
The government didn't determine what a fair price was. They determined ammunition is a necessity and that CTD took advantage in a declared disaster by raising their prices for no reason other than greed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Think of it like a Florida lumber company with 10 thousand sheets of plywood in stock selling for $10 a sheet this week. A week later there's a hurricane and the governor declares Florida a disaster area. No roofs, no windows, no storefronts, you get the picture.

The lumber company sitting on 10k sheets of plywood gets a big smile and for no good reason other than greed, raises the price to $40 a sheet. Nothing changed to cause the price increase other than the increased need. You and I can't stop them (the lumber company or Cheaper than Dirt from doing that, but someone has to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm sure someone here is going to remember that they did exactly the same thing when Obama got elected. It's a pattern with them. They deserve what they get.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm sure someone here is going to remember that they did exactly the same thing when Obama got elected. It's a pattern with them. They deserve what they get.
That was different. There was no declared disaster (that election result was a disaster but no one declared it as one :)) They just took advantage when they saw market availability drying up. Same scruples, no ethics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Absolutely correct, I was just trying to establish a pattern of bad behavior. CTD Mrs no opportunity to take advantage of a crisis, real or imagined. No matter. Like you said no ethics. I guess people will still buy from them if they have something they want and that can't be purchased elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Think of it like a Florida lumber company with 10 thousand sheets of plywood in stock selling for $10 a sheet this week. A week later there's a hurricane and the governor declares Florida a disaster area. No roofs, no windows, no storefronts, you get the picture.

The lumber company sitting on 10k sheets of plywood gets a big smile and for no good reason other than greed, raises the price to $40 a sheet. Nothing changed to cause the price increase other than the increased need. You and I can't stop them (the lumber company or Cheaper than Dirt from doing that, but someone has to.
So the government decides what 'a good reason' to raise prices is? It's the same devil with a new mustache.

Putting the government in the position of deciding what is 'reasonable' or 'a good reason' is simply putting the government in charge. I'm not comfortable with that, and I'm surprised anyone-ESPECIALLY gun owners-are.

Larry

·
Registered
71 Posts
So the government decides what 'a good reason' to raise prices is? It's the same devil with a new mustache.

Putting the government in the position of deciding what is 'reasonable' or 'a good reason' is simply putting the government in charge. I'm not comfortable with that, and I'm surprised anyone-ESPECIALLY gun owners-are.

Larry
"Good reason", that's my words, my thought process, maybe not the governments I don't know. But I would think, because government is SUPPOSED to work for us that we have some input into what they deem is reasonable and prudent.

I would accept reasonable price increase(s) if they were based on known common contributing factors like more expensive manufacturing costs, material cost increases, delivery cost increases etc, but to simply raise your prices because a **** load of people want the product you're were selling yesterday for a dollar and today for five is just wrong.

Larry, I absolutely agree with you that I certainly do not want government sticking their nose in my business any more than they already are. But someone needs to put these clowns in check.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts