1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the first two pistols made for our Texas Ranger group pistol purchase. The Commander length is in STIs new black PVD coating and the government length pistol is Hard Chrome. Both in 9mm/bull barrels. I picked them up yesterday at the STI Experience at Defender Outdoors and will be taking them to In-Service training this week. I though you STI nuts would enjoy the pics.......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!!

New style grips! I hope those go into production soon for the Staccato
That is my understanding. I shot both pistols at the indoor range yesterday. The grip is more grippy than the old stock STI grips and looks far better.more professional than the stipple jobs, though not quite as grippy.

I really want to order the 5" pistol, because thats the only way to get a bomar style rear sight. But I sure do like the look/feel of the commander.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Very nice! They will serve you well on duty!

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
STI’s are nice, I’ve never really considered buy one but know I’m pretty jealous. :):)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hey Trace,

Good looking guns. If that’s the sane patterned grip that is on the Staccato - C then I’m not a fan. It wasn’t nearly grippy enough for me.

I wish I could have got in on that group buy to show my support for the Rangers.

I’m very sorry for the recent loss of your THP brethren. We are donating through the 100 club survivors fund.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Trace,

Good looking guns. If that’s the sane patterned grip that is on the Staccato - C then I’m not a fan. It wasn’t nearly grippy enough for me.

I wish I could have got in on that group buy to show my support for the Rangers.

I’m very sorry for the recent loss of your THP brethren. We are donating through the 100 club survivors fund.
Thank you for the support. I think the grips are evolving. I felt one at SHOT that was really slick. These are better and look great.

·
Registered
8,241 Posts
STI and "grippy" polymer frame.....

I started shooting an STI 2011 Open gun for USPSA competition the first year they came out on the market.....and quickly found out that in the heat and humidity of Florida summers, the grip was too slippery when I had moisture from sweat on my hands. I ended up making a paper template of the polymer grip, then transferred the shape to a hard cardboard. I would trace the STI 2011 grip pattern on black "skateboard tape" to increase the grip friction and to eliminate my strong hand on the grip from moving slightly under recoil. The black skateboard tape works fine, and have been using this for years on my STI 2011 guns.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The skateboard tape thing works well on any polymer framed gun. Glocks, Sig p320, Smith M&P...

But it is hard on clothing!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started shooting an STI 2011 Open gun for USPSA competition the first year they came out on the market.....and quickly found out that in the heat and humidity of Florida summers, the grip was too slippery when I had moisture from sweat on my hands. I ended up making a paper template of the polymer grip, then transferred the shape to a hard cardboard. I would trace the STI 2011 grip pattern on black "skateboard tape" to increase the grip friction and to eliminate my strong hand on the grip from moving slightly under recoil. The black skateboard tape works fine, and have been using this for years on my STI 2011 guns.
I love shooting a skater tape grips, but for a carry gun, (which these are) they will wear through your shirt in a matter of days. Unfortunately, you have to compromise on some things for carry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts