1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We seem to have a few fans of the Thad Rybka Rhodesian holster and its clones. We know Rob Hipp does a great copy and so does John Ralston and Erik Little aka Rafter L.

We had photos scattered all over this subforum but unfortunately those hosted by photobucket are lost. Here is a one stop whole sale post for these style of holsters.

I'm copying pictures from several threads and start here.

Rob Hipp's:

·
Super Moderator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
John Ralston - 5 Shot leather:

Thad Rybka Rhodesian:

·
Super Moderator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing Tony.

More from our friend markwell -

Original Rybka

Rafter L

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Here are some Rhodesians from Rybka and others. Dropbox will not cooperate by letting me post the pic directly.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Tony,

Since you know Thad, is there any history on the origin of the Rhodesian design that you could share? Ken has a treatise on the Rafter L website but it would be interesting to here from Rybka himself. AT one time I had a Rybka catalog/B&W flyer of sorts that illustrated his work but don't recall any discussion of design origins in it.

·
Super Moderator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey brother markwell:

What's the story on that Hi Power?

·
Super Moderator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kevin Rohrer,

I took the liberty of downloading your picture and upload to our pic hosting site.

I highly recommend www.imgur.com, it is easy to use.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I hope you don’t mind me joining in. I want to learn more about this particular holster.

I have $150 burning a hole in my pocket and said this will be for a new holster for my Valkyrie Commander.

I came across this holster design when doing a google search for different OWB holsters. I would love to find an original, so I need to start checking junk holster bins at gunshops.

I look forward to additional information.

·
Registered
860 Posts
You can order an original from:
Thad Rybka
2050 Canoe Creek Rd
Springville, AL 35146
Price was $90 in the Spring; Single mag pouch was $45. Delivery time was about 6 months.

Good luck on the used holster boxes. I've never seen a Rybka Rhodesian at a gun show or in shop. A few on here have purchased them from other members and from Ebay.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Thanks for the info

Correct me if I am wrong

This holster was designed for competition?

How is retention compared to Sparks, 5 Shot, etc that are tight when new?

Anything this holster does not do compared to competitive makers?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
13,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It is not a highly stealthy holster, so concealment is not it's strength. As shown by markwell, the holster does tend to lose some of its retention power, he installed those retention screws to help tighten the hold. New holsters fitting is very secure.

I read that there are two Rhodesians that were stolen, one from Andy L. and one from a holster maker. At least one was used in some low intensity warfare.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Actually my original Rhodesian from Mr. Rybka (dated 1985) came with a tension screw as did the one for the Hi Power (dated '89). I added the screw to the latest one dated '17 and the silver concho to the Rob Hipp version.
We have carried the Rybka Rhodesian holster a lot for over 30+ years and although not a true concealment rig it will serve that purpose well if you dress around it. The same goes for the clones from Rafter L and Rob Hipp, both of which we've been using for the past couple of years. As a field outfit the Rhodesian shines. Fast, secure and classy in its own right, the Rhodesian design is not copied by the best of the holster makers because it's an inferior design. The Rhodesian is pure function utilizing a minimum of material to maximum effect.
If we had to come up with another name for the Rhodesian pattern holster it would have to be "The Adventurer" as we are pretty sure many of these rigs have shared the adventurous lives of their owners.

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
Here's my Rafter-L Scout

Hoping this comes out right.
IMG_0273.JPG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
G50, It came out wrong handed! :scratch:

That 40th Anniversary Wilson looks amazing my brother! :rock:

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
G50, It came out wrong handed! :scratch:

That 40th Anniversary Wilson looks amazing my brother! :rock:
Thanks brother! And you get to see it first hand in two weeks!:)

1 - 20 of 172 Posts