1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Christmas, my employees bless their hearts, all chipped in and bought me a pristine, original Colt series 70. :) In addition, Jim (my right hand man) comissioned Thad Rybka to build me one of his Rhodesian rigs to replace the one that was stolen from me a few years back. The holster was presented to me with the gun. I know it sounds weird considering what we do for a living, that one of us would actually purchase someone elses holster as a gift. But I have always been a big fan of Thad's and I really lamented the loss of that original holster.

The holster of course, is the "Rhodesian" and it demonstrates the clean, gracefull, simplistic flowing lines that is typical of his work. His inside/outside holster, even though it is quite different in design and function, was the inspiration for my VM-2.

Thad is old school and you won't find him on the web, nor can you just pick up the phone and call him. Snail mail is currently the only way to contact him, but that fact has never kept him from being as busy as he want's to be. His delivery times can be long, but those who are willing to wait won't be disappointed.

Happy Holidays to all!
Tony

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey Tony:
Well Merry Christmas to you!! Pretty neat crew you've got there to come up with such a great present. As you know, I have also admired Rybka's work for many years so I especially like that holster.

And by the way, thank you for the "Sheet cake" birthday card :biglaugh: . Now Precious understands you're a little warpped too!

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Guess I'll hold off on my next purchase and see who's holsters the other leathermasters are carrying! ;)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I got me a great crew! Best bunch of guys I ever worked with. Last year they all chipped in and bought me a Browning side by side 20 gauge. I specifically requested that they not spend their hard earned money on me this year and instead spend it on themselves and their familys. Shows how much they listen to me. ;)

Guess I'll hold off on my next purchase and see who's holsters the other leathermasters are carrying!
I collect and use holsters from other makers for whom I like and respect. I occasionally use a Bodyguard shoulder holster from Lou and City Slicker from Ken Null for my 2" J frame. I also use Lou's CQC/s that he made for my Officers model.

I don't have anything from Matt yet, but I know he's been eyeballing our 1AT for sometime now and I'm thinking maybe a trade coming on...... :D

Oh and Matt, I thought you would appreciate the card. I get sheet cake every year for my birthday and it seems like the older I get, the more sheet I get. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't have anything from Matt yet, but I know he's been eyeballing our 1AT for sometime now and I'm thinking maybe a trade coming on......
Hey TK:
How right you are! Make it left handed please for a 1911 5 inch :D !

And for yours, what pistol, rake, belt loop size, color???

·
Super Moderator
13,654 Posts
Hey Tony and Matt:
You two knock it off with this mutual admiration stuff, get back to making my holster Matt. :)

Seriously, Tony, you have a great bunch of guys working with you.

As for Thad's holster, that is just simply beautiful. That's exactly what I want in a holster.

·
Super Moderator
13,654 Posts
Tony:
Would you take a picture of the holster being worn with the gun in it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matt,
You got mail! :D

Ricky,
I'll post a pic later tonight.

TK

·
Super Moderator
13,654 Posts
Tony:
Thanks for posting the pics. Man, that holster is perfect, the height on the belt is just right, not too high and not too low.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow! You holster guys have all the fun.

Great crew you got there.

Quick question about the molding of the belt loop. It looks like the holster tucks in nice and tight, but doesn't have the trailing slot I am used to seeing on belt holsters. How's that work?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
garrettwc said:
Quick question about the molding of the belt loop. It looks like the holster tucks in nice and tight, but doesn't have the trailing slot I am used to seeing on belt holsters. How's that work?
Hi Garrett,
The best way I can describe it is that everything is perfectly balanced. The gun rides low enough for the muzzle to lever the butt comfortably into the side, but not too low. The tight fold of the belt loop fit snugly to the belt, along with the straight drop and a 3 o'clock wearing position, all combine to make this particular design work.

Sometimes simple is better.

Best,
Tony

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tony, whats the waiting period for a VM2 right now if you don't mind me asking. You can PM me if you would like.

And do you know Thad Rybka's waiting period for a "Rhodsian" off of the top of your head at the moment? It looks great, as does 4 other holsters that I have looked at and have been recommended. I can't make up my mind!!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
674 Posts
T. Kanaley said:
Sometimes simple is better.
I'm beginning to appreciate that. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Skelt,
Jim told me the wait for the Rybka rig was about 6 months. We are currently quoting about half of that. Thanks.

Tony

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Memo

tonerguy said:
Memo to self:

1. Show thread to my crew as example of what they could do for me.

2. Emphasize how happy it made Tony and how a happy boss is a better boss.

3. First, get crew. :D

:biglaugh:

I hope you and Tucker have a very happy and prosperous New Year!

Best,
Tony

1 - 20 of 28 Posts