1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else out there ever think that the clicking safety on a 1911 might, in some instances, be a tactical liability?

I read a story this morning where a woman was fortunate enought to be able to sneak up behind one of her attackers with a .22 , who had pistol in hand but expect her to enter from a different direction. She won. He died.

This made me think, "Hey, if she had to click off a safety before shooting, he would have probably heard her, and she would have had less time for a carefully aimed shot".

What do you guys think?

Is there anyway to make this safety "be quiet"?

And...do any of you think it would hurt the gun to use the safety as a trigger, i.e. pre-tensioning the trigger, and then using the safety to drop the hammer (I have not tried this at the range yet, keep forgetting, but in dry firing, the sights don't move very much, probably adequate within 5 yards)...but, will it hurt the gun to practice w/ it this way? I dunno.

Thoughts?

· Banned
13,763 Posts
Well, if you really need the safety to be quiet, simply pinch the safety between your thumb and forefinger with your weak hand, and gently rotate it down. You won't get the click. Of course, it's harder to do with your strong hand while holding the gun at the same time.

I've never really experienced or heard of any situation where the snicking of a safety has been a liability.

I really do not like the idea of "pre-tensioning" the trigger, so that the hammer falls when the safety is taken off. It's a bad habit to get into. You may as well not have a safety if it is going to be negated the second you pull the trigger. One of these days (if you practice this habit), you're going to take the safety off and NOT mean to pull the trigger, but your practice of doing so will cause your gun to go bang. Also, this adds considerable stress to the sear/safety relationship, where there really was supposed to be no stress. You will also ruin a good trigger job in relatively short order too, I would imagine.

· Registered
233 Posts
My guess would be that if they are close enough to hear the safety and localize you from it, then you're probably close enough to follow the safety release with a simultaneous quick press of the trigger, and still hit well.

· Registered
233 Posts
My guess would be that if they are close enough to hear the safety and localize you from it, then you're probably close enough to follow the safety release with a simultaneous quick press of the trigger, and still hit well.

Now if you're in a heated enough battle that you must move quickly and quietly, then I'd suggest using the silent safety like on the Glock...the one between your ears, as folks are so fond of saying.

· Registered
39 Posts
Don't know about a 1911 safety, but you hear tales of ambushes being foiled when a troop column hears the 'clack' of an AK selector/safety from the bushes up ahead!

[This message has been edited by simion_levi (edited 09-19-2001).]

· Registered
275 Posts
From a safety standpoint, "pre-tensioning" the trigger is a real bad idea, for a number of reasons which will occur to you if you think about it.

When the pistol comes out of the holster (or you pick it up from the table) the safety goes off and the trigger finger stays outside the trigger guard until either you line up you sights and shoot or put the piece away. The safety is not a problem.

If you have the safety on while the pistol is out, you will eventually forget to put it off at the worst time. The safety has nothing to do with safety!

· Registered
85 Posts
What KLN said! As I read through this thread I kept thinking your safety shouldn't be on at this point. However, clearly you can imagine a scenerio where the noise from the safety could be an issue.

· Registered
2,875 Posts
If your safety should not be on at that point, then practice snicking it off - QUIETLY! I like my clicking safety. I like the audible and tactile feel (not tactical feel, tactile) of knowing it is definitely off, but it is louder than I would like for many situations, so I just practice lowering it off quietly. No problem.

You can squeeze the trigger and simply drop the safety when needed. This is a sort of advantage for the 1911 over some other guns. You would need practice not to make the shot a trigger-jerk shot. It can be done, but I doubt this is what you want to depend on when the time comes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.