1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am not against carrying a government steel 1911 but have found myself in recent months mainly carrying a Staccato C2 or a Wilson EDC X9. Can’t beat a sao trigger.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
I carried a Wilson Combat, lightweight, full size, 45 acp, 1911 for a long time as an edc. I switched to a HL P 2000 mainly because it was lighter. I am curious to know how many here carry a 1911 as an edc and whether it is an all steel or lightweight,. a commander or full size?
The last ~5yrs, it's been a SW1911PC: commander-size, alloy frame. But the difference in weight from a government-size steel frame doesn't matter to me at all: it's less than the weight of a glass of water. That weight rides below the articulating part of the spine. My poor legs are accustomed to much worse.
20170211_143423.jpg
6CVDCTBBXTe5aNUCeP21H7DJ.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
My EDC is usually something more sensible, a SIG P365.
There is nothing more "sensible" than a 1911 for EDC. Anything else is a step or more down.

Reactions: philosandean

·
Registered
562 Posts
Still the all steel CCO-ish Kimber Compact since 2012. I planned on using this gun heavily, so the steel was attractive to me. I also plan on learning how to DIY parkerize, as I perform my own upgrades and the finish wear isn't just from holster draws. I'm not aware of a way to refinish aluminum at home. I vary carry methods based on clothing; strong side is the most comfortable to me, while appendix conceals best under t-shirts. My goal is to learn to carry its full size brother so that I have a backup carry gun. It will actually fit in the 4" precision holsters ultra appendix holster (with about .75" of muzzle protruding out the bottom). I find I can conceal the government frame best in appendix position; it prints horribly at my strong side.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I carry a steel government model 1911 with a spare magazine on my belt plus a Sig P938 9mm and a spare magazine in my pockets. I carry from the time I get dressed until I go to bed. I am seventy-four with arthritis.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I carried a steel Gov't model .45 for 25 yrs. Mostly stock & it has never failed me. I made the switch over to polymer/striker guns w/ RDS but on occasion I'll carry my DW Guardian in 38 Super.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Kimber Tac II 5", alloy frame w/ night sights, 45 ACP!
Kimber Pro Carry II, alloy frame w/night sights, 9mm and 45ACP!
I never feel under gunned carrying an M36, 38 Spl either!

Smiles,

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Currently a Dan Wesson Valor Bobtail, (Commander size), in a Mitch Rosen ARG Double-Loop holster.
I used to carry a Dan Wesson RZ-45 with a magwell added, inside a Milt Sparks VM-2.
Both are full stainless steel.

I've carried other guns in the past, (Glock 26, Kahr K9, Kahr PM9, S&W Model 640), but I keep coming back to the 1911.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
For the last 10 years my EDC was a Springfield Loaded. Made the switch to an M&P .40 this year for higher capacity. But that just means I have options, there are still days I carry the Springfield.

·
Registered
652 Posts
During the cool/cold weather when I wear some sort of outerwear, which is at least 7 months out of the year here, I'll carry my steel Colt Officer's Model with a Nowlin Carry Comp. It'll either be in a shoulder holster or in my concealed carry vest or concealed carry coat. I'll have two spare magazines.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have carried a Sig 226 (for almost 3 decades, on and off duty), a Sig 290, a Sig 1911 3.3" .45ACP, and now a Colt Combat Elite Defender in 9mm. I prefer a heavy gun with a light trigger, and this is it. Shoots and stays on target very well for a 3"bbl.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I carry an all steel 1911 almost every day of the year. Summertime is an officers framed 4” (Wilson Stealth), cool weather carry is typically a steel framed government framed 4” (Wilson Professional) but this week and next week I’m carrying a full sized steel framed (Wilson CQB) while helping my old department doing night qualifications as it has an Ameriglo front sight. All of those being .45’s. Those three guns take care of 98% of my carry with four others making up the other 2%.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
LW Commander...for the past 40 years. Current gun, for the last decade or so, is a S&W 1911PD scandium frame.

One of these days I'll get my 2007 Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm running 100% and start carrying that.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
LW Commander...for the past 40 years. Current gun, for the last decade or so, is a S&W 1911PD scandium frame.

One of these days I'll get my 2007 Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm running 100% and start carrying that.
For a very long time I have said that the S&W 1911’s are the most underrated 1911’s on the market.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
I carried a steel Gov't model .45 for 25 yrs. Mostly stock & it has never failed me. I made the switch over to polymer/striker guns w/ RDS but on occasion I'll carry my DW Guardian in 38 Super.

< hated to snip the photo >
Especially beautiful "shadow" grip stocks there. Are those a special model, or just came out that way?

·
Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
Especially beautiful "shadow" grip stocks there. Are those a special model, or just came out that way?
Hakan Pek makes a very similar design - I have a pair of his cherry wood grips done that way on my Kimber Pro II HD in .45.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts