·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ty,

Obviously you're satisfied with D.H.'s work on this one; have you have a lot of stuff done by him? He handled the transfer for my Kimber, bought from a dealer in VA over GunsAmerica. Seemed like a good guy, showed me several pieces he was working on. I've just heard some awful stories about incompetent smiths messing up friends pistols, I wouldn't want to just take something to someone without any knowledge about his work. After all, anyone can hang a shingle on their door that says "gunsmith."

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
Hey, looks like Dave did a nice job on it! Is the bluing actually black in appearance? My Argentine Colt is, and although I normally prefer the bright Colt blue I have to say the glossy jet-black look of my Colt is awesome. Looks like Dave did a 240-grit or similar polish on yours, to make it resemble the original finish in appearance.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup, he blued ours together so they are identicle in color. So they would match make a nice set, want to sell yours
. The grit was a nice touch makes it look real close to original.
Cheers
Ty

·
Registered
123 Posts
What did he charge to do the restoration work? Did he do anything other that the finish?

------------------
If you run you will just die tired.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mike,
It depends on the amount of prep you require. I had him do all the details and let him do all the work. prices run from 100-150 this includes small parts, barrel, and a very detailed polishing. DSK had him do one as well, but he did a lot of prep before he gave it to Dave and he charged him under $100 I think.
Cheers
Ty

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
I did ALL the prep on my gun, which took me two weeks' worth of evenings. I just had Dave dunk it in his tank. It cost me $85.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I wish I had known about that guy when I had my 70 done. The person who did it was not in his correct field of tallent to say the least. And I like the look of both dsks and Tys 11s. Sweet machines p.s. have the love mongers done a show lately?

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
Rezone, I've suffered my share of butchered refinish jobs, which is why I learned to do the prep myself. The worst refinish I was ever handed was actally done by Colt!

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I understand why you have bitterness toward Colt now. The way your guns turned out has opened my eyes for sure. I can envision us all at the table with the genuine gun being, guys. The big S for say $2000. I hope there is a pawn shop open. If I only have what I got today. Because with three of my current lot that baby is mine. Of course I put a holder on it.

"Ok the am I on drugs signature line is wearing thin." I must find in my mind something else to entertain myself. I just hope they are having fun in Seattle. I really enjoyed the year I spent in Everett. Like when me and a friend were at that Seattle waterfront restaurant and watched the Aircraft Carrier powering to sea at a good 15 knots I would guess. And it was summer and a breezy 80 degrees or so. What a good time I had there. Aviation has its moments I guess. I have been to many places and seen many things because of my involment with the industry. And the 1911 is king in firearms baby. aka Redzone

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
I might also mention that I'm going to do the same thing with a Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless, then give it to Dave to blue as well. If I can I'll post photos when it's all done.

Regarding the Colt reblue, I gave them a perfectly good pre-70 Gov't and got back an overbuffed mess. Not only did they overbuff it and smear the rollmarks, they added insult to injury as the assembler put a big scuff mark on the reblued slide!

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
The flats on my 70 are now a raised map. Of a continent I don't recognize and a faded horse. Now I know though, so lesson learned the hard way for us dsk. aka Redzone

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Yeah, post picture/s of the 08 Pocket Hammerless. I think I know more about the AR15 and thats almost nothing. Then I do about the .32ACP Hammerless p.s. How easy is ammo acquisition for those? aka Redzone

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
Finding ammo is a cinch. Replacement magazines are another matter.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He is located in Renton and can also be found at Wades as he is his Main Gun Smith I hav a link to his web site on my links page.

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
I should probably provide a link on my site too, since he's the first decent 'smith I've found in a long while.

BTW my latest project was to hand-make some wood grips for my Pocket Hammerless out of Birch. I then decided to go find me some exotic wood. A small length of 1/4" Zebrawood was $22!!! Ouch! Maybe Birch isn't so plain after all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts