1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a help before I buy 1911. Can I get any advice which brand is the best to buy? Colt ,Kimber ,Springfield or Para Ordnance?

·
1,921 Posts
marek, I am going to move this to General. Posting it in Colt will get you only one answer. There you may get a broader spectrum.

John Forsyth

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
They are all reputible companies with quality products. They all make good guns and they all occasionally produce a bad one here oe there. After owning all brands of 1911's I came to the conclusion that the only ones I ever regreted selling were Colts. For me, if it don't have the pony on it i will pass.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm sure I will probably get a lot of people upset, but I don't think there is a bad one being made. Make your best deal on one and go with that. I have 2 kimbers and a colt and while I lean toward kimbers I would't turn down any of them. If you can get a chance to shoot one or more of them, then that might help you make up your mind. If you are like most 1911 lovers you will more then likely end up with several anyway.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It seems to me that buying guns from almost any large manufacturer these days is a shot in the dark. I have some that I have never had to do anything with and some that have not been so great. I think that any of the manufacturers that you listed above would be fine. It is all personal preference. I lean toward Kimber. I think that the Springfield Compact is one of the best buys out there for the money. It goes for about $75 +/- less than the same gun in a Kimber. Colt.. well Colt is Colt. I don't think that it is the same value as a SA or Kimber but it is the original. Para-Ordnance is you like a double stack or DAO trigger.

·
Registered
146 Posts
choices

Colt. If you can't get a Colt, then get a Colt. Last but not least, get the Colt. Did I mention I like Colts?

·
Registered
469 Posts
They're all good!

I've got a Colt, Kimber, 2 Springfields, and a Dan Wesson. They are all excellent firearms. Not a lemon in the bunch. Look at as many as you can. Pick the one that fits your tastes. (and your wallet). Enjoy shooting it

·
Banned
597 Posts
As usual...

What is your price range?
Do you intend to shoot competitions?
Do you want it for a concealed carry piece?
Do you want it for home defense?
Do you intend to keep it in your car for a car gun?
Do you have a caliber preference?
What other handguns do you already own?
Long guns?
Do you have a preference for what it looks like?
Is historical accuracy something you care about?
Do you have a need for major rust resistance? (i.e. do you live near the ocean like me?)

Without answers to these and other questions, all the advice given is just a shot in the dark and based solely on the personal preference of the poster.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have 5 1911 and like em all.

It depends on what you want. I have the Colt and Springfield Mil Spec and they are accurate and very reliable. The plain look is appealing to me. The Rosewood grips and the polished flats on the Colt is very nice. On the other hand....
For IDPA I have a Kimber Custom II which is a honey and a SW 1911 which is beautiful. The Custom II likes the Wilson Combat mags so I bought a few for it. Both are a little more accurate than the Mil Specs and more comfortable to shoot when shooting alot of rounds. And finally...
I just got a Kimber Pro Carry which is a standard sized 1911 but with a 4 inch barrel. It is amazingly accurate and with 150 flawless rounds through it, its too soon to say they it is completely reliable, but so far so good.
I reccomend that you rent, borrow and shoot a few different ones before buying. If you really like the way one feels and looks then go with it if it is from a recognized company.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The best advise I can give you is to try and rent different 1911s at a gun range if possible. Or possibly try a friend's 1911(s).

I own a Kimber, a S&W, and several Colts. I'm also planning on picking up a Springfield Armory Loaded. I prefer the look and feel of Colts myself. The various 1911s have their own look and feel. And taste in 1911s are as various as the makers of 1911s.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
COLT!!! , I have 2 Colt's - Gunsite & Special Combat Gov models. Also 3 S.A.'s- Longslde, 5" Gov, V-10 . S.A.'s are good-no complaints. COLT's are unbelieveable. WILSON & BAER WHO!!! Tracy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys for all advices.
Unfortunately I live in Canada so I can't carry a gun and I can't have a gun with 4" barrel. I have Colt 1911 A1 in mint condition made in 1944 but I don't use it because this is pice of history and I am afraid to brake any parts. 1911 is the best well fitting to my hand handgun and that is why I want to buy this excellent gun for shooting. I think I buy Colt
Thanks again

·
Registered
230 Posts
Forget Kimber, Colt or Springfield, which are all poorly made, overpriced and unreliable pieces of sh*t. Get a SW1911, which is easily the best out of the box 1911 for the money.

Just kidding - sort of. It just seems like each of the above mfg. has a hard core group of loyalists who insist that their chosen brand is the greatest pistol ever made; and each of the above brands also have hard core detractors, who insist that they suck eggs. Hardly anyone even suggests SW1911 as a possible alternative. As the happy owner of a S&W I have found it to be very well put together, with a good selection of custom features. It is also very accurate and mine has been 100% reliable. Moreover, most of the other posts I have seen relating to this model have also been very positive, praising the gun's accuracy, fit and finish.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Colt or Springfield. Preference in favor of the Colt being US made. NRM 1991A1 have had excellent reviews lately. On the otherhand Springfield milspecs have been quite favorable as well at a lower cost. I'd say it's a toss up between the two in general.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts