1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying a Springfield 1911 in 9mm for my wife because she's recoil sensitive to my .45. This will be a gun that she shoots both for recreation and keeps beside the bed at night. Therefore, I'd like to solicite opinions from those that use or have used the 9mm for their carry and/or home defense guns as to the ammo (weight and brand) that they prefer. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
The best 9MM defense round? That would be the one you can put in the central nervous system every time you fire. Ball will do if you can hit the brain or brain stem.

It really is the shooter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
BillD said:
The best 9MM defense round? That would be the one you can put in the central nervous system every time you fire. Ball will do if you can hit the brain or brain stem.

It really is the shooter.
Quite true, but I respectfully submit that in adrenaline pumping real life situations our aim will be slightly off. So a good penetrating yet expanding round helps our odds to shut off the BG's motor. Don't you think?

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Depends on your definition of slightly.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The 147's are hardly new, and they are an excellent choice, as are the 124's. The trend is away from 115's, but some folks (mostly the M&S crowd) will argue for them. Pick a good 124 or 147 and run with it. Gold Dots, Golden Saber, and Ranger are fine (the last is LEO only). Winchester SXT's are supposed to be pretty good as well if you can't find the Rangers and like WW loads.

Anymore, I would just go with WW Whitebox 147's if they shoot good from your gun.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I want some of those rounds they talk about on the CSI TV shows whenever somebody gets shot--the Death Talons... :rofl:

They just sound too cool... Just like that junk that is advertised like a a video game in the magazines proclaiming itself to be "anti-terrorist" ammo. :biglaugh:

"Oh wait, I gotta reload, I cant shoot the burglar because I'm currently loaded with anti-terrorist ammo. Honey! Quick! Toss me the magazine of Death Talons!" :dope:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:rolleyes: Boy o boy, I guess it was too much to ask a question and get an answer without a lot of b.s. entering into the equation. :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
My wife is in same situation except she has small hands too so she is limited to single action pistols. She has a Combat Commander in 9mm and recently added a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. She keeps it loaded with Federal 115gr JHP (9BP) for now but she is trying to get used to the muzzle blast from Remington 115gr JHP +P. She and I both feel comfortable with the Federal load.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
The Pistol Pete said:
:rolleyes: Boy o boy, I guess it was too much to ask a question and get an answer without a lot of b.s. entering into the equation. :D
It is when you are trying to find a hardware answer to a software problem.

If she can shoot, it don't make much difference as long as it pentrates deeply enough. If she can't shoot, it don't make much difference unless she is lucky.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I settled on the Rem Golden Saber 147gr for my Ruger 9mm. I fired 200 round each of the Remington and the Federal Hydra-Shok's as a test for reliability. The GS rounds fired without a hitch and the Hydra-Shok stuff had 3 FTF's and 2 stovepipes.

While placement of the round is a big key in stopping a BG, you still have to rely on the performance of the round you choose.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Federal 9BP.
It's usually easy to find, feeds well, is quite accurate, and has a very good track record.
MAG-63

·
Registered
656 Posts
From a 5" 1911, I would use the 147-grain Ranger T ( you can find it if you look), the Federal 124-grain Tactical (same thing- LEO only but you can find it), or a 124-grain Gold Dot, which is readily available. I've had very good results with Federal 9BP and 9BPLE in all of my 9mm's, but penetration tends to be a tad on the shallow side. If I couldn't get any of the heavier loads I would carry the 9BP or 9BPLE without hesitation. I would stay away from Hydra-shoks, as they don't do well at all through heavy clothing.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
NYPD has had very good success with 124 gr +P Gold Dot hollowpoints. One officer recently put down a 300 lb. ex-con with 1 shot. DRT. The mutt had stabbed him several times so it was a very close quarter scenario.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mr. Camp,
Thank you very very much for that imformative information. That was exactly the type of reply I was hoping for when I posted the question. I'll be ordering some of the Ranger ammo so it will be here when the gun arrives. Thank you again.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The correct answer (insofar as it is knowable) is Winchester Ranger-T 127gr +P+. All of the available documented testing I've seen would seem to support this conclusion.

In my experience it is very feed-reliable, accurate and low flash. Worked great out of my Sig P210 and CZ-75B. Based on those facts alone I would favor it over other brands of 9x19 defense ammo. And if you shop around, not so outlandishly expensive that it isn't worth buying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
124 gr Gold Dot +P! NYPD and NYSP among others. They went thru alot of experimentation with duty loads and finally settled
on the Gold Dot.

Nice to see an Idaho product saving lives each day:)

The GD load is also very accurate in CZs. I wonder if
they do equally well in BHPs?

Some people opine that this GD load performs exactly
like the vaunted 125 gr. 357 SIG Gold Dot in actual
encounters with the bad boyz..

Felon Hammer!!:mummy:

I can't find the GD +P in 50 round boxes anymore..
they seem to have went the Federal route and now
only sell in 20 round boxes. That is, the new stuff
from Lewiston, not the reclassified ammo.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
The performance of the 147-grain and 127-grain +P+ Ranger loads is very close. I would choose the heavier bullet out of the longer barrel of the 1911, as there is nothing to be gained from the +P+ load at that point. I used the 127 +P+ in my shorter barrelled 9mm's and in my P7M8, which doesn't like the longer 147-grain projectiles.

FWIW, the Winchester dealers I've talked to have told me that the 147-grain Ranger T FAR outsells the 127-grain load with LE agencies, and actually offers marginally superior performance in barrels 3.5" or longer. 14 or so inches of penetration and consistent expansion to .65 or so is about as good as it gets from a 9mm bullet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts