1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a lot of guys at the range and on TV using the foam plugs for ear protection. IMHO these are okay for visitors if nothing else is available, but are not sufficient if used regularly by shooters. Sound is not just transmitted down the ear canal, but also from the bones around the ear. A few guys use both muffs and foam plugs.

I tried the plugs that custom fit your ear, but one kept falling out. I tried some cheap electronic muffs, but I didn't like them. Finally, I bought a pair of 3M Peltor Tactical Pro ear muffs that are worth the money. Of course, they can get hot and sweaty.

If you look around at gun shows, you'll see a lot of guys shouting at each other. None of us want to end up like that...if we arent' already. This is a forum for people who I assume shoot quite a bit. I'm curious - what ear protection do you prefer? And do you still have most of your hearing?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I use Pro Ears Pro Mag at the range. Remember, on TV or video, you are often watching people compete. They may go to a plug or similar to cut weight and reduce chance of falling off. In the heat of competition, they are not bothered by not hearing others.

·
Registered
990 Posts
My grand daughter was born deaf and after 5 surgeries to gain her hearing, I am not taking any chances... She wears these when she shoots her AR and 1911 .22 and adds muffs when Papa is shooting his .45

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Foam plugs work VERY well for me...better than any ear muff I have tried.

Most people just roll them and shove the plug in their ear...WRONG.

Simple as that...I've fired AR15s, 300 Winchester Magnum, 357 mag, 7.62x54R. And they all sound like soft mouse farts with my cheap foam plugs.

I put them in to where they are almost flush with the side of my head. At least 80 percent penetration of the plug. Muffs are sweat and cumbersome and if they fall off you are screwed. I will never wear muffs.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I almost always wear foam plugs and ear muffs. (the exception is when hunting) I have come to realize that my hearing is a precious thing.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Foam plugs are by far the best hearing protection on the market. Why? Because they give you a brand new custom fit every time you put them in if done properly. Most don't do it properly. They must be fully inserted. Be careful and don't put them in too far.

Roll them into a tight roll. Gently insert them in the ear canal. Hold them there until they expand fully.

I have a set of very expensive Sport Ear electronic plugs. They are great, but not cheap.

If you have a custom set and they fall out, they were not made correctly; get your money back.

Ear Muffs are good until you put glasses on. The arms of the glasses break the seal around your ears. This drops the sound attenuation by 50% or more.

The best is to use both foamies and muffs.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
When on the range in the Corps, we used filters out of cigarettes. I also raced short track Late Models for a decade. I now double up with plugs/muffs. VA says I have hearing equal to a dog :)

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I tried the plugs that custom fit your ear, but one kept falling out.
That surprises me. I've used audiologist poured custom ear plugs for around 30 years. I've never had one fall out. Actually, they take some effort to get out. They work pretty well, but they are more effective with ear muffs.

I think I've read somewhere along the way, Doug Koenig uses a motorcycle helmet with ear plugs when he is shooting high power rifle.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Same reason you would wear muffs over plugs…

Sound is not just transmitted down the ear canal, but also from the bones around the ear.
Keeps the sound concussion off your head.

·
Registered
990 Posts
You stated they were designed to allow sound...that is not true. I do not know if you choose to wear a cheap helmet or not, but such is not the case with your high end helmets. One of the selling points of the high end helmets is how they block out outside noise.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Foam plugs and amp muffs (with the amp turn up). I am not going to take the chance.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Good quality expanding foam plugs seem to do the trick for me. I lost approximately 15% of my hearing in one ear due to shooting a TC Contender in .444 Marlin without any hearing protection. Stupid decision.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts