1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Funny. I was asking specifically. All those people standing around, crying, upset.

No news, no cell phone YouTube productions?

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
The cop was a moron. I used to be a farmer raising cattle. A head shot to the brain is necessary to put them down period. Ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Bad shot placement. Poor cow. Could have been dispatched with a 22 by someone who knows how.
A 22 works sometimes. I finally quit and just started using my .357 after the 22’s would ricochet off their skull.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Sounds more like you are pissed he didn’t use your rifle instead of his handgun.

As has been pointed out by many in here, a well placed shot from the handgun would have put the cow out of its misery.

Didn’t need a 30-30 to do the job. The 10mm was more than needed to do it. Barney Fife was the problem, not the tool.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Funny. I was asking specifically. All those people standing around, crying, upset.

No news, no cell phone YouTube productions?

HaHaaa...You aint from round here are ya..

The newscrews?..local news station is 2hrs from here
and i doubt they are coming out to my county road traffic jam

Plenty of cell phones and someone prob did take pictures/videos..dont they always now?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I actually think the local cop made a very poor choice turning down a rifle for a handgun (even a 10mm)
The rifle is easier to shoot more accurately and has more energy than the 10mm

10mm..have nothing on a 30-30....Yes..they are good handgun rounds..note: handgun rounds....But a 30-30 carbine is superior.
30-30 if you are looking for quick easy shooting of a powerful round. Preferable to any hand gun round.

Almost double the muzlzle velocity
and almost double muzzle energy

Caliber: 30 Carbine
Brand: Remington UMC FMJ
Bullet Weight: 110 grains
Muzzle Velocity: 1990 fps
Muzzle Energy: 967 ft lbs

vs.

Caliber: 10mm Auto
Bullet Weight: 180 grains
Muzzle Velocity: 1150 fps
Muzzle Energy: 529 ft lbs
You may have confused the 30-30 cartridge ballistics common to many lever action rifles (and some handguns like the TC Contender ) with the less potent .30 Cal M1 Carbine round in the ballistics cited above.

Caliber: 30 Carbine
Bullet Weight: 110 grains
Muzzle Velocity: 1990 fps
Muzzle Energy: 967 ft lbs
:confused:

The venerable 30-30 round is significantly more powerful. ;)

Caliber: 30-30 Winchester 150
Brand: Winchester Power-Point
Bullet Weight: 150 grains
Muzzle Velocity: 2390
Muzzle Energy: 1902

As for killing cows, there's not much magic to it, but any job can be botched I suppose, regardless of the tools used.

Just surprised that an audience residing 2 hours from a local news station would be so unfamiliar with how to more efficiently address such things as injured livestock.

My grandfather's old 1918 vintage S&W Regulation Police with its "anemic" 38 S&W cartridge is probably a more proven hog and cow killer than any firearm we are currently toting around simply due to its usefulness for such things back in the day when folks processed their own meat.

Caliber: .38 Smith & Wesson
Bullet Weight: 145 grain
Bullet Style: Lead Round Nose
Muzzle Velocity: 689 FPS
Muzzle Energy: 153 ft.-lbs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just surprised that an audience residing 2 hours from a local news station would be so unfamiliar with how to more efficiently address such things as injured livestock.
The audience (residing 2 hours from the news station) were not "unfamiliar"

Local law told everyone to "stand back" when he drew the Big 10..
Then proceeded to turn it into a sad comedy of poor performance by both him and his Big 10 pistol.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did he make the body shot because the cow wouldn't let him get close enough to make a headshot? Also, shouldn't a headshot on a cow be to the back of the head to avoid a potential ricochet? I've shot wild pigs in the head, but I've always aimed at their ear, broadside, never to the front of the head for fear of a ricochet or having it just get stuck or lodged in the skull and not penetrating enough to kill. Anyway, I know little about cows. Have only milked and fed them one time in my life at my wife's family's ranch in Mexico. When her family killed a cow for butchering, they just used a curved knife to puncture the back of the head and it dropped immediately. Of course, the cow was oblivious to what was about to happen before that, and I suppose it was so used to humans feeding it that it didn't care to have the butcher lead it to the back of the ranch house and stand next to its head before dispatching it. Anyway, just asking about the headshot out of curiosity.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I knew how the story was going to end when OP said...
"local COP arrives"!!!

Where is Sonny Crockett when we need him?!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Poor decision making regarding shot placement - obviously a green ignorant Rambo cop wanting to flex his wanna-be muscle. The 10mm is more than adequate to dispatch a cow, via head shot. You don't dispatch that large an animal (up to 1600 - 1800# or more) in the vital region - will take a looong time to die. Yes a .22 will work, but it's not optimal - I've seen them ricochet off, several times. Centerfire rifle is ideal, they're out before they hit the ground, if you know where to put it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yep, head shots only if you want a cow to drop. I would guess he had SD ammo and it wasn’t getting anywhere near a vital organ. He’s lucky he didn’t get stomped or a bunch of other people hurt. Most any cow has a limit to the pain it will tolerate before becoming violent.

You would think rural departments would have some training in scenarios like this.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Poor decision making regarding shot placement - obviously a green ignorant Rambo cop wanting to flex his wanna-be muscle. The 10mm is more than adequate to dispatch a cow, via head shot. You don't dispatch that large an animal (up to 1600 - 1800# or more) in the vital region - will take a looong time to die. Yes a .22 will work, but it's not optimal - I've seen them ricochet off, several times. Centerfire rifle is ideal, they're out before they hit the ground, if you know where to put it.
Worst fail I saw with .22 was a mature Hereford bull with a broken hip. Probably 2200#. Guy went out with a .22 rifle and 13 rounds. Came back and said the deed was done. A week later we were out rounding up that section and I come across the bull standing on a hill. Wife’s cousin lived close so went and got his 30.06. One and done.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
I’m curious about all this discussion of rounds, rifles, handguns, etc. for Gods sake people a damn car hit it and the cow was alive. What kind of car? How much did it weigh? How fast was it going? How was the impact placement. I bet the “energy” was much higher than any round available at the time yet the cow was up and about. Maybe they should have used a Buick, or a 1 ton truck at 70 mph. You know, vehicle placement is still critical no matter how much energy you hit it with. Penetration is also critical.

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
The Cop doesn't need to have a hunting background to be able to make the right choice. He should have a basic knowledge of which parts of the body lead to a higher probability of a quick stop/death in human's and should be able to use that to know his best chances are a head shot. And a basic knowledge of the relative ballistics of handgun-limitation's vs rifle. This is what makes his choice even more bizarre. He is lucky the cow after being wounded didn't trample bystanders. They should send this cop back to Cop-basic-training, maybe he will not sleep through it the second time.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Sounds more like you are pissed he didn’t use your rifle instead of his handgun.

As has been pointed out by many in here, a well placed shot from the handgun would have put the cow out of its misery.

Didn’t need a 30-30 to do the job. The 10mm was more than needed to do it. Barney Fife was the problem, not the tool.
^^^This, coupled with his obvious disdain for the 10mm cartridge.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts