1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I do not post as much as I would like, I would however like to pass on some knowledge and hopefully prevent what happened to my Colt.

While shooting my Colt at my favorite range, I decided to have some work done on my Colt. Since the club smith was not very wel known, I wanted to start with some simple stuff and see how things go from there.

I bought this Colt as a shooter, and wanted to have an extended safety and an extended slide release. Simple , NO !!!!

After talking to the smith and explaining what I wanted and the quality of work that I would expect, I left. Money is really not an object, I do not mind paying for good work!

I get a call two weeks later , the smith telling me the work is done and that he had some trouble fiiting the safeties, and that the whole job cost 230, including the parts.

Ok fair enough, we conclude that I will meet the smith at the range later in the evening the same day. I get to the range only to find that the smith has left :( Ohh not a good sign.

In anycase the range clerk , gets my Colt. And thats when I start to feel my knees buckle.. My poor baby is mangled !!!

The safeties are now ambi's which one of the them keeps falling off. The work he did was to shim off the grip . So now the grip is shot and its the only thing holding the right side safty from falling off. The grip cannot hold back the safety so you see it sitting resting on the top part of the grip.. Awful!!!

The grip screws are wrecked, guess he did not have the right screwdriver :(

The safeties and the slide release are not from the same manufacture so they do not match, not even close. The slide is all scratched, some deep stuff and the gun is really dirty, guess he had fun playing with it.....

The lesson , if you have work done on your Colt please please make sure you know who will work on it and what reputation they have.

Though I do not know what I will do with this, since in Montreal with our crazy laws , there are not many gunsmiths available, not many in the entire country for that matter.. , I guess that I will have to tackle the problem on my own. Something maybe I should of done to begin with.

If this thread can save a Colt then maybe it was worth the humility..

Happy New Year to all fans and Thank You for such a forum.

TG

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I certainly hope you're not going to let this travesty go! It doesn't matter if you're in Canada or South Africa, contracted work deserves expected results. Hopefully there is some legal relief for you if he won't make it right!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Colt

Man that sucks.
Not ment to be a flame,but did you check on here to see if there was a smith in you area that somebody would recommend. Good thing about it there are always replacement parts out there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My heart goes out to you. I am of the opinion it is tough to find a GOOD smith in many parts of the U.S. as well. I'm on my fourth gunsmith.
Last Saturday, I spent four hours shooting the bull with a smith in his shop that a buddy who had used him had referred to me. He didn't know it but I was interviewing he and his work. My time is precious to me but I'm very particular about what I want done on one of my guns so I took the time. I checked out his shop, surveyed his tools, looked at other customers guns. That sort of thing. I even took him to lunch! After a previous sorry experience with another gunsmith who did work differently than what I verbally requested to be done, this time I wrote all of my requirements out longhand.
What was my conclusion from spending all that time with him? I think the guy is a technically proficient gunsmith and that is where his talent lies, period. In those areas of diagnosing a non shooting gun and making it functional once more (which is what I required this time), he does very well. If he can get the parts, he can fix it. This particular guy does not fabricate parts where original parts are not obtainable. Did he tell me that? No, but I figured that out after spending that much time with him. Does he fancy himself as being a restorer of fine forearms? Yes, but I wouldn't let him touch one of my firearms that required that type work after examining some examples of his work.
I've concluded that all the gunsmiths I've used so far have some talent in certain areas but do not possess a talent in all areas of gunsmithing. I can't take their word for it as to what they do well and need to find it out on my own through a combination of word of mouth, interview of the gunsmith and viewing some of their work.
Good luck in getting your gun straightened out!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The toughest lessons are often the hardest ones learned.

·
Banned
380 Posts
I once brought a Colt Alaskan to a gunsmith for a simple grip screw replacement as he said he had one. Much stalling over the next few weeks. Eventually he produced a paper bag containing the frame and most of the parts. For an unknown reason he decided to dis assemble it completely, then lost some of the inner parts. It turned out he also didn't pay his taxes, have insurance, or pay his store rent. Needless to say he soon went out of business, and visited some judges then it was discovered he had sold off some customers guns brought to him for repairs or loaned to him for store display. One customer discovered his revolver had been fired and not cleaned by someone. Many people reported that upon entering the store he often showed them and let them handle someone elses' gun. It turned out his training and experience before sending his check to ATF and hanging out a shingle consisted solely of watching a few videos. If a customer brought him a Win 94, then late that night he would watch the video while playing with the gun. His mechanical problems began when people like me who had guns not on the videos began to trickle in, or when he encountered people who wanted rifles tapped for scopes as he had few tools and no training or experience. His morality problems probably began in childhood. Yes, I eventually located enough parts elsewhere to reassemble and restore the Colt, it is pictured elsewhere. Be very careful who you select. The license means little as ATF doesn't knowledge test before issuing a gunsmith license. If they did we'd have only a third as many.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to help encourage the "new" smith at the range. Its tough on the smiths up here, so while I spent some time talking to him, I came to the conclusion that he was honest.

Really I do not look for the all knowing smith with 20 + years of exp. I also do understand that all smiths must start somewhere. I do not mind giving them some business, just because your a junior does not mean that you do crappy work.

I have no qualmes about a smith telling that he cannot do such a job, or that he has a problem with a particular fix, thats par for the course. IMHO thats professional. Customer care !

For the smith in question, well word gets around pretty fast especially at a range, everyone knows everyone. I will let him come forward and see what he wants to do about this!

After that he's off my list

Again thanks for the support, its nice to know that we have a "tight" community.

To comfort my sorrow, I am back in the market for a nice Model 70 :)

Just love 'em

Happy New Years and good shooting

TG

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Not to mention you got RAPED on the price...230 BUCKS to install a extended slidestop (which should almost just drop in) and a thumb safety????? Holy HECK!!!!! AT MOST, thats a job costing well under a hundred bucks (including parts!!!)...you should take this up with the BBB not only for the price gouging, but for ruining your firearms cosmetic appearance. Man that is soooo wrong. Don't let them get away with it.

If it were me, I'd take it to a competent smith, have him look it over and get repair estimates for reinstalling a properly fit thumb safety, replacing your fubar'd grip panels, replacing your fubar'd grip screws, and removing the gouges in the slide with a complete refinish. Have them put it in writing and take it back to the chop shop who did yours...tell them its going to cost x,y,z to fix and they can either do it on their dime or they can meet you in small claims court.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My first two experiences with the so called 'smiths weren't good. The first guy locked up shop with the intent of keeping my small down payment for services and my gun. I got only the gun back, the second one got the same gun and the money, I got back a gun that was totally ruined, cracked slide and frame rails. I recently had a series 70 Gold Cup worked on and somewhat got ripped on it as well.
On the good side I found a super great professional pistolsmith that knows what he's doing, takes the time to talk to me (probably too much of his time) and has fixed the Gold Cup and several other guns that needed a little gun doctor work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts