1911Forum banner

The Colt XS

2714 Views 20 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  fellowman

I picked this up new several years ago. I remember when they first came out, I swear I recall seeing some blued ones. When I finally scraped my cash together, all I could find was stainless.

Although I don't care for some of the features, like the "speed bump" grip saftey or extended thumb safties, I really enjoy shooting it. It is extremely accurate, reliable, and has wonderful sights.

I was wondering if any one else had seen a blued one or maybe had a picture of one they could share. Thanks!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,403 Posts
All the XS guns were stainless, but apparently, Colt intended to offer them with some kind of black coating, as I have a Colt magazine/catalog showing some of the guns in black. The XSE Government Model is available in blue.

· Banned
254 Posts
Colt's specification page for the XS pistols included blue melonite finished stainless steel models. They were called the "XBS" versions but to my knowledge they were never put into production other than possibly a few samples.
mears

· Registered
152 Posts
The main differences are the speed bump grip safety, which is alot farther up than the new xse safeties and very unique dove tail white dot sights. They are in my opinion perhaps the finest Colts made. I have the officers, lightweight officers and concealed carry officers. This government model is the only one I don't have. Wanna trade it for a glock or two???? Just kidding. Very nice gun.

Dave

· Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Telephoneman. I have heard others say the same thing about the XS being among the finest Colt's made, but those comments are typically not made about the XSE. Is there more than just the grip safety and sight dovetails that seperate these two models?

· Registered
685 Posts
XS Colts

TelephoneMan, don't forget the XS Commander and XS Lightweight Commander. There are six, XS Colt models.

· Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
The only real functional difference between the two is the "fitted" beavertail of the XS, vs. the drop-in beavertail of the XSE. Detail differences include the rear sight, which was a proprietary design on the XS, and essentially a Novak clone on the current guns. The XS ambi safety was again specific to the Colt, while the XSE uses an ambi that's sold as/by STI. The XS models used a trigger with two oblong lightening holes, while the XSE has used a number of different triggers. The XS beavertail is a Caspian part, and still available from them. The specs of the XSE have never really been fixed, as I've seen them with different sights, safeties, triggers, etc. over the years.

· Registered
875 Posts
I'll have to agree (and I've said it before) that I think the XS guns were the best idea and execution that Colt ever had. The guns I saw in action actually worked! From the box! And that was a time when Colt (as well as others) were having ... problems. The ergonomic features (grip safety, sights, etc.) were great!

My FLG had three of them go into his case and out again. Two full size and a commander. I thought they were overpriced then, but in retrospect I wish I'd bought all three of them.

The XSE guns more closely resemble the "enhanced" guns that preceded the XS.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys. Those must have been blued XSE's I remember seeing. It probably wasn't long after I bought mine that they discontinued them, or maybe it was already discontinued and just new old stock. I always wondered where they got the sights from, as I've never seen those exact ones for sale elsewhere.

· Registered
394 Posts
PM sent on XS triggers

Hey prplhtx3 I sent you a PM regarding a couple XS two hole triggers I have for sale.Thanks,Harold.

· Registered
152 Posts
Trijicon makes a set of night sights that fit the XS models. It takes 6-8 weeks but I just got a set. They are very nice. Brownells can special order them.

Dave

· Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
How come so many "rare", "N.I.B", and "unfired" Colts seem to have idiot scratches on them?

· Registered
394 Posts
Also a nice XS Lightweight Officer's ACP model on Gunbroker as well...Item#38410071 if anyone is looking for one.It's even got the Heinie Straight 8 night sights that you can't get anymore for that particular sight cut,would make a nice concealed carry piece!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.