1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I started working in the RRA custom pistol shop about 5 months ago. I haven't posted recently but have been reading the debate going on in some other threads about our pistols being true custom pistols. I thought I would reply with some of my thoughts on this.

As Dr. Bob has mentioned before when we receive an order a frame is assigned to that order. Than a slide is fit to that frame. The customer designates what parts he wants on his pistol and than they are fit and contoured to that particular gun. The grip safety, thumb safety, mainspring housing, mag release, ejector, extractor, firing pin stop, and front and rear sights or a rail for a scope are fit to that gun. Some of you may have noticed if you have detailed stripped your pistols that somewhere on all of these small parts the last 3 digits of the serial number is engraved. After fitting the number is engraved onto that part and stays with that pistol until you receive it. A grip safety fit to one pistol will not look right if put into another frame. This goes for all of the small parts. We do this so that the parts can be reunited with their frame and slide after finishing.

To me this indicates custom.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts on this subject!

Mark Z

·
Banned
597 Posts
Mark
Thanks for posting. I agree with everything you said, and I think that RRA pistols ARE custom, and don't really understand how anyone can think otherwise. Oh well, if they don't like 'em, they ain't gotta buy 'em.

I found the bit about the serial #'d parts interesting. Does that include the guide rod? Are there parts too small to have this done? (i.e. the extractor?)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts