1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have wanted an M1A for some time now.....and it is finally here...I will be getting a Springfield Scout Squad very soon, unless anyone has any negative remarks? I was kinda interested in what everyone thinks of it....from other boards I have read they all say its the best for the money....but I always ask and ask again....lets here it??

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Send it off to Smith Enterprises for a full EBR treatment (Sage EBR stock with 18" Crazyhorse barrel), when you get it back you will have a rifle that no secret squirrel mall ninja can withstand! :p Im thinking of doing this to my M1A Loaded, I wanna burn out the barrel the right way first so I may just acquire the parts and do it myself when the time comes. Pics are not mine btw, just an example...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Why

For the love of god don't do that to a M1A. The M1a was meant to have a wood stock or a nice painted fiberglass stock. Not some damned thing with picatinny rails coming out of everywhere. For the good of mankind keep a traditional stock on it!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
Apparently, Springfield is running out of USGI parts for use on their M1As, and are substituting commercially-made MIM; anyone know if this is true? I have a Springfield Garand, and all the metal but the barrel and receiver appear to be USGI. I ordered a Scout Squad, a couple of years ago, but the deal fell through; wish it'd been delivered.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Ugly

Why destroy the M1A with that stuff. if you want something a little differant, check out the M1A SOCOM.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I wanted another rifle like that I would just buy another AR15. The whole part of an M1A is the look of history it has with it. Even people I know that aren't into guns sees a pick of what I am going to get and they are like "hey, thats like what they use to carry to war?" I think that defeats the whole purpose to put all that on one......not to mention a wast of money

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Haha, great reaction on the Sage stock. Actually, Im going with 3 different projects in the next couple years. The current one will be my Sage supertroop gun (made up almost exactly like the one above), I also am planning on both a single lug and a rear lugged LRB reciever buildup, the first with a GI parts kit and stock to be as close of a replicate of an issue M14 as I can build, the latter with a Krieger barrel and McMillan stock, going to use my Smith mount on it along with a Leupold MK4 M3 10x to make my M25 clone (not trying to make the thing SA makes, a real M25 uses Iron sights as in the pic below.) I would work on a AR15 someday, but I think Ill just wait til I inherit my daddy's stuff when he passes away someday, Im in no rush to play with mickey mouse guns.

·
Registered
784 Posts
RickB said:
Apparently, Springfield is running out of USGI parts for use on their M1As, and are substituting commercially-made MIM; anyone know if this is true? I have a Springfield Garand, and all the metal but the barrel and receiver appear to be USGI. I ordered a Scout Squad, a couple of years ago, but the deal fell through; wish it'd been delivered.
Rick,
SA has been out of USGI M1A parts for a while now. I got a MA9102 (I think it was a 9102...anyway, it was their "USGI retro" version.) and the ONLY thing USGI on it was the barrel (I replaced all the MIM parts with USGI). New M1a's come with pretty much NO USGI parts and it's been that way for a while.

R

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Ask Uncle Sam, he bought it and the majority of M14's that have been reissued for service in Iraq/Afghanistan have one on order or have been converted to EBR already. It makes the M14 funtional with todays optics and sighting systems (AN/PEQ-2's and such...), and its automatically bedded as soon as the barrelled reciever is installed into the stock. For the military, the M14 is no longer a classic weapon, otherwise it wouldve stayed in a warehouse waiting to be demilled.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Your right on!

Hey Nf9648, you nailed it. The weak link concerning repeatable accuracy of the M1A / M14 platform is the wood. The action must be bedded, and this bedding wears out over time. That being said, I have never worn out anything, and my LRB M14SA is in a wood stock. :) However the Sage looks, it is an overbuilt tool. By all acounts, it does what it says, and functions like a brick house. You don't have to like it's looks, just respect it's performance.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I cant wait to get a hold of a rear lugged LRB, its getting the McMillan treatment, but its gonna be a minute. Too many projects at once, not enough money.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
I think the sage stock looks fine, but I dont like the two tone look with the light grey and black in that pic.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Theres a story behind it, if I can find the link Ill post it. The anodized grey stock is actually the navy spec stock as the navy ordered, it is different in small ways than the normal black sage stock people are used to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts