1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a borrowed Dillon Square Deal right now, but have been considering a 550B which lack auto-indexing. One of the concerns I frequently hear is about the possibility of depositing a double charge in a case with a manually indexing press.

Got to thinking about it, and I can't see how it would happen. In order to get a double charge, wouldn't you have to pump the handle twice without indexing the plate? Wouldn't it be obvious that you'd forgotten to index when you tried to seat a bullet on top of the one you just seated?

I must be missing something. Can someone clue in this newbie?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,299 Posts
The phone rings, the cat knocks over your coffee, etc. Lot's of things can distract you while you're reloading. Sometimes, auto indexing can catch you out, too, so you have to give reloading your undivided attention.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
What Rick said, wanna see some nice blown up gun photos, most of which are double charges, That is why I like and drool over the 650 with auto index.

·
Registered
910 Posts
like others said - but you also have the issue of no powder drop ( something out of adjustment, didn't cycle the handle all the way thru the stroke ..... ) but stuff happens on a manual indexing machine or on an auto-indexing machine.

A double charge is often a problem with new reloaders when a case is not properly inserted into the shell plate on station one - so when you cycle the press it jams / there is a risk if you drop the handle that the progressive press will cycle - and you should see it and reset everything - but sometimes a jam like this can cause you to loose focus, or your kids, wife, cat .... .

Honestly, that's why I recommend the 650 press with the powder check system - its one added safety measure and it makes me feel better. But there is nothing wrong with the SDB or the 550 - except they don't have the extra station for the powder check die ....

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
There is no substitute for a brain while your doing such activities. If you have and use a brain, either machine is a joy to use and either machine will have issues that to watch for.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Today while reloading 45 ACP on my 550 one of the primers did not insert all the way making rotating the star to the next position difficult (primer dragging). I immediately felt this (good for a non-automatic index) and so rotated back and seated the primer all the way.

Now the bad part. What I did not immediately notice is that caused a double powder drop into the case at the powder drop location (bad for a non-automatic index). Fortunately, I have a mirror located so that I see the powder level at the bullet seating position before adding the bullet and so saw the higher than normal powder level. Whew! Only happened once but that is enough to make an indelible mark on my awareness if this happens again.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Today while reloading 45 ACP on my 550 one of the primers did not insert all the way making rotating the star to the next position difficult (primer dragging). I immediately felt this (good for a non-automatic index) and so rotated back and seated the primer all the way.

Now the bad part. What I did not immediately notice is that caused a double powder drop into the case at the powder drop location (bad for a non-automatic index). Fortunately, I have a mirror located so that I see the powder level at the bullet seating position before adding the bullet and so saw the higher than normal powder level. Whew! Only happened once but that is enough to make an indelible mark on my awareness if this happens again.
Ed, I'm not trying to high jack this thread but could you explain (or post a pic or 2) how you have the mirror attached? I have a 550 and I have had a double charge which blew up my Colt GM some years ago. It (and my buddy) survived it without permanent damage though.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Ed: Can you post a picture showing how you set up a mirror and proper lighting to see the powder level before seating the bullet? I'd lilke to duplicate your setup.

Thanks.

Santon

·
Registered
73 Posts

Somewhere I have a picture of the mirror. I will find it and upload it to my website so I can post in this thread.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here are two pictures of the mirror in place. The bracket was made from some scrap sheet metal I had. At first it seemed too thin but its ability to easily bend out of the way when I need room to change or adjust dies and then spring back to the correct position is a plus. The bracket is attached using a bolt already on the press. The mirror was a plastic one from a travel kit which I velcroed to the bracket in case I wanted to change it or make it smaller. It was meant to be quick and dirty but has worked out quite well.

See next post for pictures.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here are two pictures of the mirror in place. The bracket was made from some scrap sheet metal I had. At first it seemed too thin but its ability to easily bend out of the way when I need room to change or adjust dies and then spring back to the correct position is a plus. The bracket is attached using a bolt already on the press. The mirror was a plastic one from a travel kit which I velcroed to the bracket in case I wanted to change it or make it smaller. It was meant to be quick and dirty but has worked out quite well.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
I notice primer drag on my automatically indexing press (a Hornady LNL progressive). Easy to notice, easy to fix. Sure beat the heck out of a 650 on price and free bullets, too. <Dons flame retardant nomex suit, fearing the crazed Men in Blue>

Reid

·
Registered
890 Posts
ed-e

I like the mirror idea. I can remember seeing a goose neck - flexible thing that had clips to hold things at different positions - I'm going to have to find one.

I visually check each powder charge using my 550 but I want to try a mirror.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I notice primer drag on my automatically indexing press (a Hornady LNL progressive). Easy to notice, easy to fix. Sure beat the heck out of a 650 on price and free bullets, too. <Dons flame retardant nomex suit, fearing the crazed Men in Blue>

Reid
I am with Reid here. I use the Hornady LNL-AP, not only is the auto indexing an assist to keep from a double charge, but also the design of the press (at least on my bench), makes it fairly simple to look into the case with sufficient light, and check charge. <standing right behind Reid's nomex>

·
Registered
841 Posts
I believe it takes an additional die position which I do not have on my 550. OK on the 650 though.
If you don't mind seating and crimping the bullet in the same station to free up a spot on the toolhead, I have seen at least one guy who modified a 550B toolhead to accomodate the powder check mechanism on his Dillon 550B press.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you don't mind seating and crimping the bullet in the same station to free up a spot on the toolhead, I have seen at least one guy who modified a 550B toolhead to accomodate the powder check mechanism on his Dillon 550B press.
Definitely do not want to seat and crimp in one operation. I like the control I have with separate operations. But thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Single charge, boom. Double charge, slide chunks in you're face.
incorporate a system that checks you're loads. Issue solved.

·
Registered
147 Posts
opps

I had a double charge and a dud, dud first. Scratched my head knocked out the bullet and resumed firing, NOT SMART, a few rounds later I found the missing powder. Whooiee.
I did it measuring charges, put the powder in the wrong case after measuring.
No damage to myself or series 80 (God loves me).
As I have said for years "you gotta me smarter than the machine your operating"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts