1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Inexpensive 1911’s sometimes get a bad rap. An inexpensive 1911 will never be a Wilson. Great project guns though. When they run just fine to begin with, great. If not, most of the time they can be made to run with some TLC. A bit of judicious polishing sometimes goes a long way. All seem to benefit from a bit of attention to the trigger. Great project! Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I would see just how far I could get using the stock parts (only) to start. If it runs, and it sounds like it does, I wouldn’t be over zealous with the feed ramp. If you do polish that, take great pains to avoid changing geometry. After a couple mags of ball, I usually try to choke them on hollow points and semi wadcutters. If they choke, I try to figure out why. Can be many many things besides the feed ramp. Metal is a lot easier to take off. Much harder to put it back on. When you replace the grips, use hi quality after market grip screws. I have found screws on inexpensive 1911’s to be prone to fracture from brittleness. Sometimes the screws heads have shallow or wallowed slots. Get some good US made pins. Pin sets are cheap. The 1911 books probably are the best first purchase. An assortment of sandpaper is a good idea. I have grits up to 6000. Avoid the temptation to correct something that doesn’t need to be corrected.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts