1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 2009 Colt Gold Cup sat at my local Gun Shop since March priced at $969. I've handled it a few times, but never wanted to spend the money. I decided to take it home yesterday. It seems to be in pretty good condition. I'll shoot it tomorrow.

Back around 2008, Bud's was selling a Talo Royal Blue Gold Cup in a nice case with matching grips. I foolishly sold mine, and wanted another since. I guess this standard model Gold Cup will do. Anyone remember those? Probably one of the nicest looking Colt's I've ever owned.

·
Registered
23,145 Posts
Back in 2011 I found a used on in a LGS with box etc. Calling Colt it was made in 2010. I did replace the rubber wrap around grips with some wood stocks I ordered off the Colt website back when Colt sold them there.

They are nice pistols.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
This 2009 Colt Gold Cup sat at my local Gun Shop since March priced at $969. I've handled it a few times, but never wanted to spend the money. I decided to take it home yesterday. It seems to be in pretty good condition. I'll shoot it tomorrow.

Back around 2008, Bud's was selling a Talo Royal Blue Gold Cup in a nice case with matching grips. I foolishly sold mine, and wanted another since. I guess this standard model Gold Cup will do. Anyone remember those? Probably one of the nicest looking Colt's I've ever owned.

Nice!!! Bought mine in early 2013. I think by then there were no more blued models made.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!!! Bought mine in early 2013. I think by then there were no more blued models made.

Looks like you got the fitted beavertail.

I think Colt goes through phases of what they offer. They currently have a blued model series 70. Mine's an 80 series, but that doesn't bother me.

The good thing with stainless is you could probably polish-up that slide pretty good. If that's a look you like.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It ran 100% through 5 different makes of mags using 230 FMJ & 200 Lead FP reloads. It did take a few rounds to get use to the sights. Trigger reset wasn't very crisp. I'll do a good cleaning of the frame internals to see if that helps.

Here's 10 yards off hand with 200 gr lead. I'm happy with this purchase.

·
Registered
23,145 Posts
Below are my newer GCTs. A 2018 "Lite" in 38 Super over a 2015 in 45 ACP. The 2018 is a "Series 70" but the 2015 was a "Series 80".

And my recent GCNM MkIV Series 70s. My 2015 in 45ACP over my 2017 in 9mm.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Here's a Gold Cup that lives here, shown with some targets informally shot with 230 grain FMJ, a full charge of Unique and put up in mixed brass cases.

I purchased this pistol brand new from a retail gun shop in 1981. It was only years later that I learned that it was manufactured in 1979.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Looks like you got the fitted beavertail.

I think Colt goes through phases of what they offer. They currently have a blued model series 70. Mine's an 80 series, but that doesn't bother me.

The good thing with stainless is you could probably polish-up that slide pretty good. If that's a look you like.
I was glad that I bought this gun, Series 80 no rib and all, because it's a tack driver AND it has a superb factory trigger. How superb? I was comparing it to two of the 1960s and one early 1970 National Match. None of these supposedly hand fitted guns have trigger pulls that can compare.

Alas, fast forward a few years, the reintroduced Gold Cup National Match and Trophy don't quite compare with either mechanical accuracy or trigger pull. It's entirely true that with Colt, you never know what you'd get.

I also have a blingy 1996 National Match. It shot okay but the fit and finish were typical 1980-2000 Colts...bad. But I bought it for cheap and it has the pretty bright polished stainless steel finish.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I also have a blingy 1996 National Match. It shot okay but the fit and finish were typical 1980-2000 Colts...bad. But I bought it for cheap and it has the pretty bright polished stainless steel finish.

I have the same model, only a year older,, IIRC, Colt referred to the finish as "BSS".
They only had that mirror finish for a short time, and I rarely see any of them.
Mine is what some would call "loose", but it shoots well, and functions with whatever you feed it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have the same model, only a year older,, IIRC, Colt referred to the finish as "BSS".
They only had that mirror finish for a short time, and I rarely see any of them.
Mine is what some would call "loose", but it shoots well, and functions with whatever you feed it.
Actually mine was sold to an owner in 1995. It came with original box and receipt.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I never thought that I would hear myself say this (well . . . . type it actually) but I really like the look of those wrap around rubber grips in the OP's pic. They look very business like. I may have to track some down for my own GC.

Tom

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never thought that I would hear myself say this (well . . . . type it actually) but I really like the look of those wrap around rubber grips in the OP's pic. They look very business like. I may have to track some down for my own GC.

Tom
I do too. That’s why I didn’t swap them out with one of the other countless pair of grips I own.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts