1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Topic: Being a Good Citizen By Phyllis Naegeli

Posted: Today at 12:36pm
Is this book used in our schools?

1 What is a citizen? If you were born in the United States, you are a citizen. That means you are a member of our country. Sometimes people who are not born here want to become citizens. They do this by asking the government to make them a citizen. This is called naturalization.

2 When you are a citizen you have rights. Rights are special privileges the government gives you. In our country, you have free speech. You are also given the right to choose a religion. In America, the press is free to tell you what is happening in the world. The Bill of Rights lists the freedoms given to citizens. These rights are very important. Many people in the world do not have freedoms like we do.

3 Because the government gives us rights, we have the duty to be good citizens. But, what does it mean to be a good citizen? How can you be a part of giving back for the freedom you have?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard on the radio that this book is being used in schools in Ohio. Our rights are God given INALIENABLE rights!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If my kids brought home that kind of crap from school, you can bet I would be having a sit down with the teacher, principal, and someone from the school district offices to explain their piss poor curriculum. Absolutely unacceptable.

BTW - they are inalienable rights. I have no idea what "ENALIBLE" even means.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Hmmmmm

So when the founding fathers wrote about our rights be God given and natural born they had it wrong:confused::confused:

The state of our public education is pretty scary.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
:barf:

I'm not surprised. This just continues the dumbing down of America.

:barf:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmm...

Last time I checked, the government existed only to ensure my God-given rights! The only thing it gives me is a pain in my a__!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Last time I checked, the government existed only to ensure my God-given rights! The only thing it gives me is a pain in my a__!
That's the way I learned it. God gave me rights as a person. The US Constitution outlines these God-given rights, and creates the government that is to ensure the protection of these God-given rights.

The only thing the Government has "given" me is a higher tax bracket and no say in how my taxes are used.

I believe "taxation without representation" started a little brew-ha-ha a few years back....

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,334 Posts
I sent them an email, asking that Being a Good Citizen be removed from their collection. Some additional (rational) contact from concerned citizens might help. :)

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
I also sent an email, which isn't easy.

I found a PDF by her with the erroneous description of the second amendment, "The second amendment provides the freedom to bear arms"

www.nwoesc.k12.oh.us/.../Constitution_and_Bill_of_RightsA.pdf

I am currently trying to reach Phyllis Naegli to make sure she understands her error. I suspect that she just isn't aware of the difference a few words can make.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I also sent an email, which isn't easy.

I found a PDF by her with the erroneous description of the second amendment, "The second amendment provides the freedom to bear arms"

www.nwoesc.k12.oh.us/.../Constitution_and_Bill_of_RightsA.pdf

I am currently trying to reach Phyllis Naegli to make sure she understands her error. I suspect that she just isn't aware of the difference a few words can make.
About every line quoted from her book is incorrect. I'n guessing Naegli doesn't have a clue ref. the founding of America and human rights.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
I sent this email to one of the homeschooling groups that uses her materials;

Hi,
I'm trying to reach Phyllis Naegli who writes for you. There was a recent flurry of activity in a forum I participate in about teaching materials by someone of the same name, "Being a Good Citizen By Phyllis Naegeli" .

If it is the same author I'd like to point out an important error to her. Since she is apparently a Christian I'm eternally sympathetic, and don't want to offend her in any way.
In that material she stated "Rights are special privileges the government gives you.". This is a common misconception. The Bill of Rights enumerates rights that were granted us by God, not by government! This is a huge distinction, and I don't feel it is being petty to point it out. I would greatly appreciate hearing from her, and would like to be able to report back that she agrees and is amending her material. Thanks,
(My name omitted)

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
Golly, don't you guys get it? There is no God, and pretty soon, no constitution. :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Reply (So soon!)

Thank you for getting in touch with us. Phyllis Naegeli did indeed write one
article for our magazine which was published five years ago. Although I
haven't corresponded with her for quite some time, I was able to get in
touch with her again today, and passed your e-mail address on to her with a
brief explanation that you wanted to discuss "Being a Good Citizen."

I'm hoping she will contact me personally, I don't see it as deliberate. We'll see.
Parts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Golly, don't you guys get it? There is no God, and pretty soon, no constitution. :mad:

This is the key. Get rid of God in society and replace with government. If gov gives you rights then gov can take them away.

If they are natural / given by God then no one can take them away. If you are on a power grab then you need to reeducate the next generation to fit into your mold so you can screw them over and do it hard with no mercy. The people begging for this crap is going to be real upset when they see it in full blown motion. They are not going to like it but they are going to be stuck with it.

I might be here for it I might not. God knows a mans life span before he is even born.

No matter how many chains they try to wrap around you,If you know Jesus you are always free.

Praise be to my God for letting me live in this great land. I sure hope he saves it from ruin!!!!

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
She must be related to Pelosi.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Phyllis Naegli emailed me and said she never intended to cause any uproar (She has seen the forum thread), and from her letter I'm sure I was right about her.

She is a Christian and (I think) she just chose the wrong words.

She also said that the material can't be changed because she doesn't own the rights to it any more.
From the little I read I can't see any of it as her definitive views on the Bill of Rights, and I think we may be a little too sensitive at times. She seems like a nice person who probably holds more views in kind with the majority of us than in opposition.
Parts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,334 Posts
If she made those comments at a church function, I'd have no problem with it, and I don't really have a problem with her at all. The problem is edHelp.com, or whatever they're called, making it available as a teaching aid. It's edHelp that needs to hear from us.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Whether they're her personal take on things or just a poor choice of words, they're being used to educate future generations. If students aren't taught correctly, how can they be expected to think, and therefore act, correctly?

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts