1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought i had my extractor tuned well but today I ran 100 rds through and had two fte's . Went to local gunsmith , he said i had a dirty chamber and blowby preventing extraction. I just fully cleaned EVERY PART during a full takedown last night. Anyway not the point..... the HORROR is my slide is cracked just below the extractor! i will try to post pics (never done it). Also sold one of my mini 14s to deal with this but got a bersa 380 in the bargain. SO, off to Springfield i hope they can deal with this for less than 200$.

Any thoughts ? thanks jon here goes nuthin!

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
They will likely replace the slide for free under their lifetime warrantee. That's an older Mil-Spec, correct? Maybe you can have them fit a slide with Novak's and a lowered/flared ejection port as well, again, I'm assuming the will do this under warrantee for free (probably a whole new slide assembly).

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I'm gonna second a new slide. SA will take care of it, give them a call. They will pay shipping both ways.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
I would also like to know how many rounds you have down range thru your Springer?
Springfield Armory will give you a new slide, and pay for shipping both ways.
They have Outstanding CS.......

Clyde

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They said my gun was built in 1991 . I am not the original owner.

But it sounds like there is a chance they will hook me up.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

I had heard that Spingfield honored their lifetime warranty even if not the original owner. I could not find this in writing anywhere, so I e-mailed them.
They replied that the warranty is written for the original owner, "but we like to take care of our customers". Convinced me that my next 1911 will be a springfield.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yeah, they'll definitely remedy that issue. Fo sho!

·
Registered
293 Posts
They took care of my "93" Compact 45 and I wasn't the org. owner. Thats a company that stands behind thier product and thats why I have a Springfield loaded park. coming on order. They get my hard earned cash. Thier CS is the best.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If they replace the slide, what do they do with the sights,fp,bushing,extractor?

I know this is a pretty basic gun, and worse yet it seems to be the past victim of some shoddy smithing. Still its my first 45 and I am enjoying both the gun and this forum. This is the first pistol Ive ever had that could be completely dissasembled with almost NO tools. I am in awe of JMB's classic design, a true machine!

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
If they replace the slide, what do they do with the sights,fp,bushing,extractor?

I know this is a pretty basic gun, and worse yet it seems to be the past victim of some shoddy smithing. Still its my first 45 and I am enjoying both the gun and this forum. This is the first pistol Ive ever had that could be completely dissasembled with almost NO tools. I am in awe of JMB's classic design, a true machine!
I have no idea if they will replace the other parts or not. If not, my personal choice would be to pay to replace them. I prefer Heinie's to Novak's for sights, but either would be an improvement to the Millet sight, IMHO.

The only way to know for sure is to call and talk to them about it. Springfield customer service has a reputation for being top notch, and in my limited experience, this has been the case. I have bought 1911s made by companies other than Springfield, but they are usually my first choice.

Please keep us posted.

Robert

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok I got an RA # from SA they were very nice. Ive got my fingers crossed .

It would be nice to get a choice of sights, on a tight budget so unfortunately no gold dot :( but any decent fixed would make me happy.

This is getting interesting. I must confess that being mechanically minded, and a know it all, I had just assumed (ouch) that I could both judge a good working pistol and its owner/s... I wish I had done some/any research.

While reading:
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/05/danny-dremels-masterpiece.html

I suspect yet another "incompetent hackjob" smithing experiment around the feedramp area. Not good. See pics below

Do I need to delete my own pics from the site?

Thanks jon

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
+1 for Springfields Customer Service Department. I recently contacted them about a SOCOM II that I am the 3rd owner of. Pn the first range trip I found that it was shooting high, even with the rear sight bottomed out, and there was also a chip, maybe a crack in the composite stock. They provided me with a FED Ex call tag and off it went.

They called with an update the other day, new rear sight base and a higher front sight, they have replaced the stock and it was headed to the rnage to verify zero. All at no cost. Can't wait to get it back.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts

I am not the orginal owner of many of my "SA" 1911's and have had no problem is getting warranty service. PM me if they continue to challenge you about it!

·
Registered
417 Posts

That dremel-job looks like my Mil Spec! (It came to me in that condition). Jim at Innovative Custom Guns has welded up hundred of frame ramps like this, re-cut the ramp, and fitted new barrels, which is what he is doing for me right now.

Check out post#10 in this thread, but be prepared to scroll around, the pics are GI-NORMOUS.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=245753&highlight=maestro+pistola

1 - 15 of 15 Posts