1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing, this is not a thread on sex, so all you perverts can calm down.

To give a little background, I was at the range today shooting my SA Champion. After shooting for about an hour, I walked over to where a range instructor was giving a shooting exam for Texas CHL's. I had enjoyed watching this instructor teach in the past.

He always ask each student to step up to the firing line, take their firearm out of the case, make sure it is empty, and then he checks the guns over. He makes sure safeties are functioning, decockers are working... Anyway, he got to this one guy's Beretta 92F, and as soon as he cycled the slide, the instructor says, "That's way to dry, do you have any lube on you?" The student replies, "No, but it will be OK, it has never had a problem before."

The instructor called everyone to the line, tells them to load 5 rounds, and that it will be a one shot exercise, that they have 2 seconds for one shot at 3 yards. On his command, they fire. He tells them to fire again, and that is when I notice that the guy with the dry Beretta is trying to clear a stovepipe.

The instructor saw this at the same time I did and tells him to clear the jam and get back in the fight. The jam is cleared and the gun made ready. On the command, everyone fires again, and the Beretta once again chokes, same way.

After this happens about six times, the instructor is becoming pretty irate at the guy, and suggest once again to lube the Beretta. He even hands the guy a can of spray RemOil. The guy gives it a little squirt at the back of the slide and puts the can down. The Beretta jams three more times, same way.

At this point, the instructor is about to throw the guy out of the course. He walks down to the guy, takes his Beretta and literally dumps half the can of RemOil in the Beretta. Then he cycles the slide about 50 times, hands the gun back and walks away.

The Beretta never jammed again.

After the course of fire, I talked to the guy who owned the Beretta. He was sorely embarrassed. He said he had the gun in the safe for about 8 months, and he had not oiled it in that time. He said that he had other pistols that were just as dry around the house for protection, and that he was going to lube them as soon as he got home.

I know the Beretta is a reliable pistol, but if it has no lube, it is as good as a two pound brick.

Something to think about.

------------------
Any day above ground is a good day!!!

[This message has been edited by Double Tap (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
474 Posts
If anything I use a little too much CLP. I keep my guns in storage well lubricated. For my carry gun, if you were to cycle it 10 times you would notice slight seepage of CLP from where the rails meet the frame. I do take extra caution to keep excess lube out of the magazine area and chamber. If lube sets against the primers it can weaken or damage them to the point that your round is non-functional. Of course I clean my gun after every range visit so there isn't too much crud competing with the extra lubrication.

------------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use Kellube Synthetic. It is a great lube. I have been using it for about 2 years now. I have shot a 1911 style pistol 1800 to 2000 rds. between cleanings. Just add a little Kellube to the rails and comp sleeve about every 500 rds.

[This message has been edited by 38 Super Man (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by 38 Super Man:
I use Kellube Synthetic. It is a great lube. I have been using it for about 2 years now. I have shot a 1911 style pistol 1800 to 2000 rds. between cleanings. Just add a little Kellube to the rails and comp sleeve about every 500 rds.

[This message has been edited by 38 Super Man (edited 08-18-2001).]
I use lubriplate on the slide rails, but use CLP on all other surfaces. I've never heard of Kellube, is it a grease or oil? Where do you get it?

------------------

·
Registered
159 Posts
Double Tap:

It's nice to see someone else using the same lube products/procedures I use. I started using the Lubriplate on my pistol frame/slide rails after I bought it to use on my M1A. I figured, if it was good enough for the M1A bolt and op rod, it would work great on a pistol.

Anyway, after buying a 14 oz. can of 130-A from Brownell's, I had to start using it on more than just one gun. That 1 can will last me the rest of my life.

------------------
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
Humphrey Bogart

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Cathbad:
Double Tap:

It's nice to see someone else using the same lube products/procedures I use. I started using the Lubriplate on my pistol frame/slide rails after I bought it to use on my M1A. I figured, if it was good enough for the M1A bolt and op rod, it would work great on a pistol.

Anyway, after buying a 14 oz. can of 130-A from Brownell's, I had to start using it on more than just one gun. That 1 can will last me the rest of my life.

Lubriplate is great stuff. What I like about it most is that if I put it on tonight, it will still be where I put three months from now.

I've put it in the deep-freeze and after 6 hours it still is usable. Freezing up is a problem with some greases.

------------------

·
Registered
218 Posts
I question the necessity of the instructor becoming "irate" with the student. Displays of anger are not an effective method of teaching. Believe me, I speak from personal experience, as a former teacher.

There are ways to firmly but politely help students change their ways. The only reason for dismissing a student from the class would be if he were behaving unsafely, in violation of the range rules. Yet, in this instance, keeping a cool head while exercising discipline is the main objective.

As for lubricants, I too tend to go overboard a bit too since I am often wiping excess from my pistol in-between range sessions. This care though has given me the habit inspecting my pistol before practice or carry. RemOil, Break-Free, and G96 are all good stuff. Shooter's Choice High Tech grease is good too.

[This message has been edited by Drago (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
We had a class last weekend where two students had 'new' guns - one brand new and one new to the student. Both were dry, very dry. A little oil and they both went through 400 rounds without any lube-related issues.

In Texas with summer carry (and other really hot places) typical gun oil can dissipate over the course of a week of carrying. I have found that Wilson's grease or other white grease works great and does not dissipate with the heat.

The best part of the grease is that it doesn't run out the muzzle end of your gun while in the holster even if you do have too much on the rails.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Drago:
I question the necessity of the instructor becoming "irate" with the student. Displays of anger are not an effective method of teaching. Believe me, I speak from personal experience, as a former teacher.

There are ways to firmly but politely help students change their ways. The only reason for dismissing a student from the class would be if he were behaving unsafely, in violation of the range rules. Yet, in this instance, keeping a cool head while exercising discipline is the main objective...

I agree with you 110%. I have been taught by people who were screamers, and people who were instructors. I've learned much more from an instructor than a screamer.

I probably should have been a little more clear. The instructor becoming irate was my perception, as an observer. The instructor never projected his irritation at the student forcefully, but you could see that he was flustrated at the student for not using the advice given to correct the situation. And you have to remember that he had five other people on the line that he had to pay attention to at the same time.

What I would have done is tell the student, not ask or suggest, but tell the student to lube the gun properly after the first jam. And if the student needed it, give him instruction on how to best accomplish this task.

------------------

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Double Naught Spy:
...In Texas with summer carry (and other really hot places) typical gun oil can dissipate over the course of a week of carrying. I have found that Wilson's grease or other white grease works great and does not dissipate with the heat.

The best part of the grease is that it doesn't run out the muzzle end of your gun while in the holster even if you do have too much on the rails.
Those are my experiences as well. For years I use just CLP, and would constantly have to apply more to keep the guns properly lubed.

Now I use lubriplate (white grease) and I don't have to worry about it every week.

------------------

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I use the big ole can of White Lithium Grease found at auto parts stores for $3.99
I do not forsee me running out of grease anytime soon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use Mil-Comm Products TW-25B lubricant protectant. It's the end all.

Protects, goes on thin, keeps debris off, requires less maintenance, and the gun runs smoother. (it's a semi). but i'm about to get a S&W 357 stubby.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Double Tap,
I wanted to ask you how Lithium Grease or "white grease" does compared to Tetra "G"? I saw the Lithium Grease and it is very economical. What do you think overall?

------------------
The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm not DT, but Tetra Gun Grease and Milcomm TW25B are the best greases available. Nonetheless, a lithium based grease, like Lubriplate or Protec/Wilson Ultima Lube will work well, and in the case of the Lubriplate line, it is much cheaper.
www.tetraproducts.com www.lubriplate.com

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just thought I would add what I have found that works for me. I live in southeast New Mexico in the desert where summer temps can reach 115 degrees. In the summer I use Wilson gun grease. It bonds to the metal and will not cook off.
In the cooler months I use their Universal oil/grease. I have used these products for 22 years on my 1911's with out any problems. You can get some by entering wilson combat com. I am not affiliated with the company but do own on of their CQBs. Their customer service is secound to none.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Another good company to check out is Muscle Products Corporation. They manufacture Shooters Choice FP-10. www.mpc-home.com

All in all, it doesn't matter if you use a bit of wheel bearing grease and motor oil, or the latest high tech "synthetic gun conditioner". It's how often, and how well you maintain your weapons that counts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you like FP-10
you'll love One-Lube from Slick-50.
In the red can with the black top.
Pump or aerosol.
JMHO,
Stocky

------------------
Anyone who isn't a paranoid schizophrenic now-a-days, just isn't thinking clearly!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts