1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I use to safely clean the dried gun oil off of this Ithaca?

I picked up the Ithaca :rock: that I posted earlier and want to get it cleaned up so I can share some pics. It appears to have some old gun oil dried in spots (under grips, mainspring housing, etc) and on the pins. I let it soak in CLP for a few hours and its really not touching the crusty stuff. Is there a magical chemical I can soak this in to remove the gunk in a relatively short time that wont harm the park? Mineral spirits? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Get yourself some Kroil. I would do a detail strip and soak all metal parts in the Kroil for a couple of days. Use a nylon bristle gun cleaning brush and scrub lightly on the parts after the soak. You might need to let it sit for a bit longer. That should get it done for you.

Stay away from the CLP. Its not strong enough. I would use a good quality synthetic oil or CorrosionX to wipe everything down after you have cleaned it and let it dry.

Please post pictures when it is done. We would love to see it!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Kroil would be my go-to choice as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've also become a fan of Kroil since joining this forum.

I purchased an old Colt 357 magnum that had dried oil and crud in the
mechanism and was hard to even cock the hammer. It also had (unknown to
me when buying) rust under the grips. A long soak in Kroil (4 weeks!) not only
cleaned up the old lube but also penetrated the rust. First I removed the grips
and sideplate.

I took my time, taking it out of the solution every 3-4 days and brushing with
a toothbrush and a brass brush on the rust. Take your time and you will be
amazed what this product can do!

After the soak was done, cleaned off the Kroil with a blast of brake cleaner,
the old chlorinated type, (same as gun scrubber but 1/2 the price) and
lubed as usual.

Trigger pull and cocking the hammer were as a new gun!

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone that helped me with info in preparation for this purchase. I brought the gun home today and cleaned her up. The only issue was some dried oil from eons ago which stuck everything together. After some direction I used acetone to almost instantly remove the goo. Aside from the goo, the pistol was pretty clean(no carbon anywhere). It has a Flannery barrel with the correct markings, a checkered hammer, and a serrated mainspring housing. The mag is nice and is stamped R on top of the foot. The grips are Keyes with the K inside a star. I think its pretty legit and I got it for a decent price. Its a little gritty compared to my Colts. The metalwork is rough and the thumb safety feels not as positive and smooth. Otherwise its a nice example. Out in the bright sun you can see some discoloration in the park, but my parents are 70 and they have a few spots on them too so we will call it good.

P.S.
I hate to rip off Rob's stump background but honestly its the only place I get decent pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,344 Posts
It's beautiful. I never would have thought of using Acetone on old Parkerizing, but it really looks good.

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
The whole thing looks good! But the barrel says it all. Very nice find.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
That is a very nice example. Glad the cleaning worked out. I would have been chicken to try that. I would have gotten it done though.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Very, very nice... Congrats on that one!

It warms the heart to see another old warhorse find it's way into the hands of a proud conservator. Good for you, brother.

P.S.
You guys are putting that old wild cherry tree in my back yard on the "endangered" list. I need a stump!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow, that came out very good! Seriously, gun looks darn near new! Great job!:cool:

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Didn't have enough Kroil on hand to submerge the entire pistol , but I wrapped my 1944 Rem Rand slide in a rag soaked with Kroil and after a few days , I was pleasantly surprised by the results. Appears to have dissolved all the old dried oil and dirt.

I'll be looking for a gal can of Kroil.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Kroil has specials on online sales. I use a ziplock freezer bag. Had a colt in the bag for six weeks one time! When done put kroil back in the can!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Kroil has specials on online sales. I use a ziplock freezer bag. Had a colt in the bag for six weeks one time! When done put kroil back in the can!
ewwww! dirty oil back in the can? ewwwww! :barf:

Kidding aside... the zip lock bag method is the only way to go. Place parts in, coat with kroil (no need to submerge), squeeze excess air out of the bag as you zip it closed.... then wait. Every couple days flip the bag over.

·
Premium Member
15,344 Posts
Didn't have enough Kroil on hand to submerge the entire pistol , but I wrapped my 1944 Rem Rand slide in a rag soaked with Kroil and after a few days , I was pleasantly surprised by the results. Appears to have dissolved all the old dried oil and dirt.

I'll be looking for a gal can of Kroil.
As far as I know you'll have to get it from Kano Labs.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
ewwww! dirty oil back in the can? ewwwww! :barf:

Kidding aside... the zip lock bag method is the only way to go. Place parts in, coat with kroil (no need to submerge), squeeze excess air out of the bag as you zip it closed.... then wait. Every couple days flip the bag over.
I guess it is my Scot heritage showing!

·
Registered
3,732 Posts

Sounds exactly how I marinate steaks! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts