1911Forum banner

The Kel-Tec Sub-2000 9mm Carbine

19K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Hawkeye Returns 
#1 · (Edited)
Just bought a new Kel Tec Sub 2000 carbine. First time shooting it today. All I can say is that I'm 100% SOLD on this thing. Awesome!

As you can see, it folds for easy storage, and can be very quickly unfolded for ready deployment.

It's a 9mm that takes Glock mags. I used Glock 31 round mags. I fired 150 rounds with not a single flub of any sort. One hundred of them were military style ball, twenty-five were Cor-Bon +P 125 grain JHP, and twenty-five were Federal 124 grain Hydra Shok JHP.

Sights are post front, and peep rear.

Trigger has a little bit of rough take up, but the break is crisp and doesn't feel particularly heavy, so once you get used to the feel of the take up, good trigger work is not very difficult, though it's no Government Model in the trigger department. It is, however, very workable, especially in a shoulder mounted weapon.

It was laughably easy to make one ragged hole at fifteen yards, applying almost no effort in the direction of precision shooting. So I quickly moved it out to 25 yards, where, again, with little effort at all, from a standing off hand position, using sustained rapid fire, it was no trick keeping them all in the black.

In the illustrated target (shot at 25 yards), you can see four high/left shots (and one on the upper left edge of the black) which were due to the fact that at first I was holding the front sight dead center of the black bulls eye. As I realized (after firing the first five rounds) that I needed to hold low (the gun comes sighted in for a 100 yard zero), I was able to keep all the remainder inside the black, and well centered, with almost no effort.

Very impressed with it. Every police squad car should be equipped with one.

Here's the 25 yard target.

You will notice, also, that the remainder were centered better. This is because when I was holding the front sight post in the center of the black, it was a little harder to see precisely where in there I was aiming. When I started positioning the front sight post under the black (in the white area of the target), it was much easier to see exactly where I was positioning the front sight post, thus easier to center the shots.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Neat, economical, accurate, reliable, lightweight and fun gun to shoot, they're a great value for sure. Great to fit in a pack or trunk for camping trips to have some fun, plus a means of defense against 2 legged losers. I don't think you'll see them in LEO cruisers anytime soon though. LEO's having the choice of an AR or shotgun would probably stay with these platforms as the handgun rnd carbines have been available for a long time and haven't been persued due to ballistic perfomance. I guess the idea being, if I need to pick up a rifle it should be of a more powerful cal. than my sidearm.

Thompson .45acp, Marlin camp gun in 45acp., Calico .22lr, 9mm, Uzi 9mm Beretta Storm 9mm & .45acp, Ruger P-series P-9mm,P-.40 and the Kel-tech's are the ones that I can recall as far as handgun cal. carbines-I'm sure theres more;)

Nice looking target! How much did the Kel-tec cost? (If ya don't mind me asking) I remember they were dirt cheap 6 or 7 years ago.

Congrad's, I might have to pick one up:) I had fun shooting my friends!

#4 ·
It was a very affordable $340.00. Amazing value, considering the shootability of it, not to mention the reliability and usefulness as a go anywhere security carbine.

Today, after some experimentation, I tricked it out with a tactical light. It has a pressure pad on its back. It's held securely in place with three rubber bands made from an inner tube. The light has two levels of intensity. I adjusted the sensitivity so that just gripping the gun in the normal fashion as you shoulder it activates the standard intensity light (by slight pressure of the activation pad against the trigger guard), and only slight intentional backwards pressure from my left hand causes the high intensity light to activate (again, because of increased pressure on the activation pad against the trigger guard). Slight forward pressure keeps it from activating at all. Light beam projects straight forward, parallel with the bore. Works perfectly.

#5 ·
It was a blast. Can't wait till I can afford to buy more 9mm ammo for shooting. Amazing how expensive that stuff has gotten. I remember ten years ago 9mm was dirt cheap, like thirty percent cheaper than .45 ACP, but now they seem to be just about the same price as .45 ACP. What's up with that?

I just tried to insert a G19 mag, and it does not engage. That's a shame. Looks like it has to be a G17 mag, or longer.

#6 · (Edited)
It's amazing how much easier it is to put the rounds where you want them to go when you have a light recoiling shoulder mounted weapon like this. Your point of reference tends to be a handgun instead of a rifle (because you're shooting a handgun caliber weapon), so you feel amazingly capable when you put this to your shoulder (from an unsupported standing position) and, with hardly any effort at all, put them all in the black at 25 yards. I'm sold on the concept.

#10 ·
Tons of info on them here http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?s=&forumid=14
Modifying the G17 model to take G19 mags is pretty common and easy. Check out KTOG for info on how to do it. I had a 2000 shortly after they came out, same model as yours. Stay away fro any ammo with soft primers. I had a mag full of corbon go full auto on me shortly after I bought the rifle. Everything else ran just fine.

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure it has a floating pin wich caused slam fires with soft primers. It can happen with most any semi auto rifle with a floating firing pin. It's more prevallent in a pistol caliber carbine since pistol primers aren't genrally as hard as rifle primers. It has been few years since I had this problem, kel tec may have chamged something or corbon may use harder primers now.

#16 · (Edited)
Great inexpensive fun!

One major flaw though.....If you have a long beard like me....That damn bolt will get your attention!
I was worried about that, because I have a short to medium beard, and I do get pinched quite a lot when I shoot my M-4 style AR rifle (where the stock collapses). It never happened with the Sub-2000, though, and I used a good cheek weld, too.

#17 ·
I have been quite interested in one of these for a few years now. They look pretty slick. I was contemplating one for camping and as a defensive carbine. My cousin has the 9mm version and it goes everywhere with him, he loves it. I just wonder about how tough they are. If I am going to use something for defense I would want it to be rugged. I would go with the .40, the 29 round mags would make my glock 32 with a conversion barrel vary happy.:)

#18 ·
There is a version for Beretta mags. The XD can use modded Beretta mags. If this can be modded to accept XD mags I would pick one up.

#22 ·
Funny, it looks like we're a bit like-minded. Mine rides in a similar laptop case.

Mine is a G19 version that has the shorter grip and accepts G9 and larger mags. You can modify yours if you want to, but I'd only remove the minimum necessary, because the shorter grip is a bit less comfortable.

#23 ·
Nice guys!

I really like these for the shear utility of them. I hate to say it, I might have to get a Glock too :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.