1911Forum banner

The Mighty Mo.

994 53
I was at Pearl Harbor today, vacationing, so I was on the USS Missouri and was looking at the large turret guns. I was talking to a volunteer guide that really knew his subject. So those canons were loaded with 660lbs of powder and a 2700 lb. projectile. They would aim at targets 25 miles away! I asked how they could aim at a target 25 miles away and was told with radar and a spotter plane. Talk about a hot load, 660 lbs of powder in 1 round. Off subject but I also asked how long the anchor chain was, 1100 ft. Each link of that chain wieghs 120 lbs, this is serious stuff here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Administrator
80,882 Posts
That's a lot of components to order from Midway, that's for sure.

· Registered
716 Posts
"Mo bigger is mo better" :)

The biggest thing I've seen fired was a 120mm - that was impressive, but I can hardly imagine something almost 4X larger! And that is only in diameter - projectiles increase in relation to cross sectional area - so it more like 12 X larger in practical terms!

Riposte

· Registered
21 Posts
The Navy called the 16" guns on the battleships rifles...
That is what I thought as well........naval rifles since they were actually rifled barrels.

I've been sick the past few days and have been watching YouTube movies. "The Battle of Archimedes" is a Japanese made flick that is centered around the design/politics/construction/sinking of the battleship Yamato. The opening scenes alone are worth watching.

The Yamato, even though is sits at the bottom of the Pacific, is still to this day a source of pride to the Japanese people, and it has become part of their cultural lore......with it's 18" guns!

-E-

· Premium Member
8,819 Posts
And we think Unique is hard to meter. :rolleyes: If I remember correctly, the barrels had liners that could be replaced as they wore out. Can't recall how many rounds they could shoot before the liners needed replacing and I believe the number of rounds differed between AP and HE shells. Not quite as simple as the good old .45acp.

Grumpy

· Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I remember shooting 105 Howitzer out of the aft left side of our AC-130’s. Incredible shooting a gun like that down on targets…amazing accuracy. Made the aircraft move sideways a bit when fired. :cool: But that 105 was puny compared to those big 16” “rifles.”
When you guys showed up it was like a gift from heaven. We knew our chances of living to fight another day just went up.

Thx for being there when we needed you.

Welcome home.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts