1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a recent thread on this, and apparently, Federal was eavesdropping! If you ever had doubts, well, I imagine you still will, but at least they're trying. Of course, with the current supply problem, if you're looking for these, you may have to wait until 2025!!!! (Correction: they do seem to be available....... Interesting!!)

Federal Punch - .22LR Self Defense Ammo

On the plus side, though, we can now hold extensive .45ACP vs. 9mm vs .22 Punch - 'Which Is Best for Defense' discussions!! :):):)

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean. They're claiming that out of a 2" barrel, though. Reckon this is NAA fodder? Supposedly, they also claim 1,650 fps out of a rifle barrel. So, if you're carrying your 24" barreled Marlin with you to the movies in the bad part of town, this ammo might be a good choice!

·
Registered
24,210 Posts
I guess that sales have been slow. And they are trying to draw in new customers. I do carry my Berretta model 21 around from time to time. But I am pretty happy with the Aguila Super extra rounds that I put in it.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
On the plus side, though, we can now hold extensive .45ACP vs. 9mm vs .22 Punch - 'Which Is Best for Defense' discussions!! :):)
Now that even the .22 has benefited from bullet technology advancements over time, like the 9mm... I guess the the 45acp will have to be compared to the 25 acp. :LOL:

1070 fps?
That's "Maximum Velocity"?
I read the article and think that was the best they could do for it to stay together and make 13-14" penetration in gel.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I also just read the article. Using a 29gr. bullet. Just spoke with a friend that told me he was able to order 500 rounds of them from Federal. Will be interesting to see how it performs in real life.

·
Registered
21,989 Posts
If I were to carry a .22 for self defense, I would want to hear about reliability.
Getting a long skinny rimmed rimfire to feed and fire as well as a centerfire would be a good trick.
That said, my Plastic M&P .22 Compact is thus far 100% on MiniMags.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I just recently got the new Taurus TX-22 Competition and have about 500 flawless rounds through it. I want to see how these rounds go through it if my friend ever actually receives them in the near future.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Rimfire is too unreliable in firing and feeding in semi-auto's for the most part the problems with it aren't terminal ballistics or anything like that.

·
Registered
21,989 Posts
Always thought so, but me and JLS are doing ok so far.

Not that I depend on anything smaller than 9mm P for self defense.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
the wife (64yrs old) had gotten to where she simply wasn't carrying her M&P9c in her purse anymore..complained that after the shoulder injury and surgery, it was just too heavy. Tried everything from a Colt mustang to the Sig 365...she settled on a Ruger SR-22. the larger frame provides better sight radius...she is very accurate with it out to 35ft. I've tried about 8 different brands, of ammo in it..and approaching the 500rd benchmark the gun has yet to have a single fail of any kind.
is 22 going to knocked an attacker 20 feet into the air through a window?...nope..but it's a gun that she has on her..rather than one she left at home. it's a large black frame pistol, so I'm not sure the potential perp is going to stop and ask her what caliber he is about to get shot with...so deterrent is a factor as well.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
I'm a firm believer in shot placement. Doesn't matter if you are using a .500 S&W Magnum, unless you put the round where it needs to go, it ain't going to do the trick. I agree that it is almost all a marketing spin.

Grumpy

Reactions: Delta-3

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
A 22 killed Robert Kennedy, and damn near killed Ronald Reagan and Jim Brady. Underestimating the lethality of a well-placed 22 round would be a deadly mistake.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Remington used to have a truncated cone solid similar to their Yellow Jacket HP, the Viper I think. I'm one who feels your better off with a solid bullet if using a .22LR.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
the wife (64yrs old) had gotten to where she simply wasn't carrying her M&P9c in her purse anymore..complained that after the shoulder injury and surgery, it was just too heavy. Tried everything from a Colt mustang to the Sig 365...she settled on a Ruger SR-22. the larger frame provides better sight radius...she is very accurate with it out to 35ft. I've tried about 8 different brands, of ammo in it..and approaching the 500rd benchmark the gun has yet to have a single fail of any kind.
is 22 going to knocked an attacker 20 feet into the air through a window?...nope..but it's a gun that she has on her..rather than one she left at home. it's a large black frame pistol, so I'm not sure the potential perp is going to stop and ask her what caliber he is about to get shot with...so deterrent is a factor as well.
Get the parts to expand those SR-22 Mags to 15 rounds! Ruger® SR22® Rimfire Pistol Wingman +5 Magazine Bumper

·
Registered
574 Posts
Flat nose solids rule! Good to see a manufacturer offer something that works rather than a boutique sales pitch. I wonder if they will expand the concept to include other popular SD handgun calibers?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts