1911Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
If I were to carry a .22 for self defense, I would want to hear about reliability.
Getting a long skinny rimmed rimfire to feed and fire as well as a centerfire would be a good trick.
That said, my Plastic M&P .22 Compact is thus far 100% on MiniMags.
Quality .22 ammo is usually very feed-reliable. It's the junk from Winchester with large hollow-point cavities and loosely-crimped bullets that cause most feed issues in my experience. And then of course there is ignition reliability, which plagues a good number of brands.

BTW here's a pretty good video on .22s:

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,085 Posts
I also just read the article. Using a 29gr. bullet. Just spoke with a friend that told me he was able to order 500 rounds of them from Federal. Will be interesting to see how it performs in real life.
I'd be interested to see if a low velocity half-weight bullet will even cycle in my pistols.
But not curious enough to buy any.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'd be interested to see if a low velocity half-weight bullet will even cycle in my pistols.
But not curious enough to buy any.
Not in any large quantities and especially ones that are just hitting the market. I would be willing to try maybe 5 or 6 to start. After my friend goes through a fair amount first to see if his pistol runs without any complications. I'll be interested to see if there is any residue or ill effects in the barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
A 22 killed Robert Kennedy, and damn near killed Ronald Reagan and Jim Brady. Underestimating the lethality of a well-placed 22 round would be a deadly mistake.
And the biggest grizzly bear ever shot and killed was with a .22

21 - 29 of 29 Posts