1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MSRP $1499.. Would you pay $2000-$2100 for one? I know supply and demand ,covid....I'm considering purchasing one they come available often at these prices. Feed back welcome.

·
Administrator
73,409 Posts
$2100 is actually not a terrible price at the moment. I'm mostly seeing anywhere from $2499-$2999. Yowza!

Reactions: webley 455

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would prefer to pay 1800ish. I mean for 2000.....It is tough to say, I mean they hard to come by in general. I think COVID prices are here to stay for more than a year. If you got the money to spend why not!! If you are on a budget, pass it up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would only go with an old one.
My uncle had one, it broke often and he shot 38's out of it. When it broke it was a pain to fix. I think the new ones are better to shoot. If the old ones were so much better they would have not changed the design.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I paid $1600 for mine. I hate to even pay MSRP much less above MSRP. But it’s the new Python and it is what it is. I can wait for two or three more years in hope that supply meets demand and price will drop. Of course the wait means risking that a) Colt might go tits up, or b) Colt cancels production.

so I figured $100 over MSRP isn’t going to kill me to have two of those new snakes.
Besides the shop gave me plenty of discounts on other guns during the same purchase period.

however I won’t pay $2000 for them.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
MSRP $1499.. Would you pay $2000-$2100 for one? I know supply and demand ,covid....I'm considering purchasing one they come available often at these prices. Feed back welcome.
No. And, I want one and have been scouring Gunbroker and the internet for one at MSRP. I won't pay much more than MSRP for anything, unless it's something that truly is rare, difficult to obtain item that won't be available otherwise because they don;'t make anymore or are one of a kind. And, if you seriously are amenable to paying $500-$600 over retail price, then you're in luck because I've seen a number of them offered on Gunbroker for $2,100 and up. So, you shouldn't have any trouble buying one right now.

Not me. I hate scalpers. They're as bad a democrats in my book. Just a bunch of blood sucking parasites and maggots. A couple hundred $ over retail because of the current situation would seem reasonable to me. But not 40% over retail. These dealers are probably paying about $1,200 for each and marking them up to $2,100 and up. I'm going to wait until China's coronavirus pandemic has waned, because all other epidemics in history have all waned after a year or so. It's just the principal of voluntarily feeding a leech/tick/sea lamprey my blood is too repulsive for my tastes. 🤬

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My uncle had one, it broke often and he shot 38's out of it. When it broke it was a pain to fix. I think the new ones are better to shoot. If the old ones were so much better they would have not changed the design.

Back in the 80's I had a brand new one and never had any issues with it. I sold it because I needed money and thought that I could always buy a new one later when I got established in my career. I bought another one last year that is 25 years old and it's in pristine condition. They're not as delicate as you make them out to be. And of course, with advancements in weapons metallurgy, newer improvements would be expected in these new 2020 Colt Pythons.
My current Python. A new one would make a great matching set.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I paid $1600 for mine. I hate to even pay MSRP much less above MSRP. But it’s the new Python and it is what it is. I can wait for two or three more years in hope that supply meets demand and price will drop. Of course the wait means risking that a) Colt might go tits up, or b) Colt cancels production.

so I figured $100 over MSRP isn’t going to kill me to have two of those new snakes.
Besides the shop gave me plenty of discounts on other guns during the same purchase period.

however I won’t pay $2000 for them.

View attachment 602813
How do you like them?

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
I passed on a brand new one on Addicts forum for $1799. Maybe if it had been the 4" barrel, but I'm just not all that enthralled with the new Python (or any NEW weapon, for that matter) to pay over MSRP. I almost paid $4K for a Colt USMC rollmark 1911...but a cooler head prevailed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Back in the 80's I had a brand new one and never had any issues with it. I sold it because I needed money and thought that I could always buy a new one later when I got established in my career. I bought another one last year that is 25 years old and it's in pristine condition. They're not as delicate as you make them out to be. And of course, with advancements in weapons metallurgy, newer improvements would be expected in these new 2020 Colt Pythons.
My current Python. A new one would make a great matching set.
View attachment 602817
How often do you shoot? A box of 357, a week, month, or year?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
How do you like them?
they seemed to be good blasters so far. My biggest gripe with them is the same as for the old Pythons: the shape and size grip simply doesn’t fit my hands well for DA shooting.

another thing that I don’t care for; and applies to old Pythons: ramped front sight with red plastic insert. I know that Colt tried to replicate the looks and feels of the old pythons as much as possible but ramped front sights with red plastic inserts went out with the 1980s. Would have been better had Colt put either a partridge front or even fiber optics front.

DA pull is heavier than the old Python BUT doesn’t stack nearly as much. There’s a bit of staging at the end before the break but it wasn’t the dreaded staging like the old Python. SA is also heavier but to me breaks a lot cleaner without the mushiness like the old model.

Accuracy is right there with the old one.

that being said, and I’m a Colt guy at heart, DA pull simply can’t match a nice SW DA pull and reset. I don’t think any Colt ever could.

·
Registered
169 Posts
they seemed to be good blasters so far. My biggest gripe with them is the same as for the old Pythons: the shape and size grip simply doesn’t fit my hands well for DA shooting.

another thing that I don’t care for; and applies to old Pythons: ramped front sight with red plastic insert. I know that Colt tried to replicate the looks and feels of the old pythons as much as possible but ramped front sights with red plastic inserts went out with the 1980s. Would have been better had Colt put either a partridge front or even fiber optics front.

DA pull is heavier than the old Python BUT doesn’t stack nearly as much. There’s a bit of staging at the end before the break but it wasn’t the dreaded staging like the old Python. SA is also heavier but to me breaks a lot cleaner without the mushiness like the old model.

Accuracy is right there with the old one.

that being said, and I’m a Colt guy at heart, DA pull simply can’t match a nice SW DA pull and reset. I don’t think any Colt ever could.
I like a gold dot for front sight.

·
Administrator
73,409 Posts
The first run of 2020 Pythons reportedly had excellent DA triggers, but some users had misfires with some brands of ammo so Colt had to increase the weight of the mainspring. That's probably why yours have a relatively heavy DA pull, assuming they're later production.

I've only seen a couple of these so far, both at the same local gun shop. They priced them at $2999. One (a 4") sold pretty quickly but the 6" is still there after several months, even in this COVID gun-buying panic. It's now starting to show some shop wear, and they've finally dropped the price to... $2499. By the time they finally wake up and drop it further to $1999 it'll look like a used revolver.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The first run of 2020 Pythons reportedly had excellent DA triggers, but some users had misfires with some brands of ammo so Colt had to increase the weight of the mainspring. That's probably why yours have a relatively heavy DA pull, assuming they're later production.

I've only seen a couple of these so far, both at the same local gun shop. They priced them at $2999. One (a 4") sold pretty quickly but the 6" is still there after several months, even in this COVID gun-buying panic. It's now starting to show some shop wear, and they've finally dropped the price to... $2499. By the time they finally wake up and drop it further to $1999 it'll look like a used revolver.
light trigger pull isn’t the be all end all. If it’s nice and smooth without a lot of stacking, that’s more important than pull weight.

As far as availability wise, one shop in Albuquerque who isn’t even a stocking Colt dealer had somehow found SIX for its customers. The Albuquerque stocking Colt dealer had FIVE with two sold to me.

I’ve seen advertisements from several Texas Colt stocking dealers for Pythons too. So, while you just can’t go to any shop or have any shop special order, these guns are out there at varying price levels.

·
Registered
708 Posts
No. I have all the gun niches that interest me filled, mostly redundantly. As much as I don't need either, I will probably end up with a Charter Arms Bulldog and/or Sig P210A before a Python. If it interests you though than go for it at a price you can live with.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts