1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
EB Kobra Carry, WC Protector, Colt Combat Elite, T Series BHP, and a Walther PPK to name a few faves
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with the latest iteraton? I have a 1960s era PPK in 7.65 (the Bond gun :cool:) and an American (Ranger made) .380 from the early 90s. Though the fit and finish of the German one is better, both of these are reliable, accurate, wonderful pistols. I wouldn't even try the S&W iteration. Leave it to them to cause a recall of one of the world's most classic pistols....ugh.

This new one seemed impossible to get for the longest time, but it seems they are available now - though I have yet to see one in a LGS.

Hence my question. Does anybody have any hands-on experience with one?
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: Che

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Current Ft. Smith PPKS production on top, SW PPK at the bottom. They both go bang with ball ammo. I haven’t tried JHP with them yet.

Still has tiny sights. Still has heavy, long DA but breaks crisply. SA pull is decent. High mechanical accuracy thanks to the fixed barrel. The blued finish is a dark matte that looks more business like as opposed to the SW having a nice polish on the flat surfaces.

I only shot an Interarms PPKS way back in the 1980s, so I don’t have any French or German PPK/PPKS experience to judge against.

Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Wood Mammal

·
Administrator
78,749 Posts
My prejudice against the new ones is that butt-ugly beavertail on the frame, which completely ruins the classic silhouette of a PPK. My only example is a 1990s US-made PPK in stainless, which is built well but has all of the typical PPK faults.

BTW my understanding is that the new PPKs are only made in stainless. The "blued" model is actually blackened stainless steel as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I traded some beads and wompum for a pair of consecutive numbered S&W PPK/S pistols adorned with ivory grips held in a beautiful walnut presentation case.

Once I had them out in the car I was overwhelmed with buyer remorse. I picked up one to verify that they were .380. Somehow I was thinking that they were .32...nope. While I'm fondling the little pistol I remember the impression it made with it's weight.

I knew a guy.....a collector. Maybe, just maybe. He was glad to add them to his collection and frankly, I was happy to make him happy.

I had divested myself of .380 several years ago after trying to like the cartridge in snappy little pocket pistols. I didn't find much joy in the fixed barrel blow back design. Then when ammo prices got crazy I cut my losses to consolidate my interest in more useful calibers.

I confess that I've always been a sucker for a pretty face. I got out without chewing off an arm....but just barely.

Now Sig made a little stainless. 380. I'm not on the hunt for one but if I ever trip up on one.....

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Anybody have any experience with the latest iteraton? I have a 1960s era PPK in 7.65 (the Bond gun :cool:) and an American (Ranger made) .380 from the early 90s. Though the fit and finish of the German one is better, both of these are reliable, accurate, wonderful pistols. I wouldn't even try the S&W iteration. Leave it to them to cause a recall of one of the world's most classic pistols....ugh.

This new one seemed impossible to get for the longest time, but it seems they are available now - though I have yet to see one in a LGS.

Hence my question. Does anybody have any hands-on experience with one? View attachment 641651
I have no experience with the new ones, but have seen many and inspected a couple in Cabelas and one other store recently. Both were PPKs. Both had excellant fit and finish, I think they were about $800.

I have had two, Both an Interarms PPKs, in stainless . The current one I carried some in law enforcement as a backup and CCW quite a bit. The one in the picture has had a bead on more than one bad guy but the issue was resolved peacefully. Not a fan if the 380 but the one in this picture has dispatched one deer flopping around on the highway., a racoon fighting my dog, several skunks and lots of snakes. The 380 Hydrashock will blow snakes in half. and not ricochet.

With the 22 I gave killed only snakes, including one on my porch a month ago. The little Guns are snake getters.

Mine has a lousy trigger pull but I tried Wolf springs and just could not trust them. I carried the gun in harms way and the Wolf springs would give a light strike once in a while and would require a second pull, no thanks.

I do have one of the 22 s that I shoot suppressed. It has a wonderful trigger and more accurate that any pocket gun should be. Even with the tiny sights looking over the suppressor you could head shoot rabbits or squirrels with the thing. It is more fun than any little gun should be.

They have a zinc slide like all of the new 22s, and weigh under a pound.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Machine gun

I have several 22s that share the suppressors but it is the most accurate. And it looks cool too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Our state police issued them for a short while as a BUG - they were the S&W version in .380. They did not last long and they went back to the S&W M-60 and later to a Glock 27. We "inherited" a detective after he retired from the state guys, and he brought along his Walther (also as a BUG) - he had 4 stoppages during our 24 round qualification with ball ammo and he retired it.

I have a couple of PPKs made in the 1930s - they work fine. I had an unfired one in the box. .380 made in 1965 but someone wanted it a lot more than I did so I sold it.

Riposte.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I had a stainless Interarms Walther PPK/s .380. It ran with ball as well as WW silver tips which we carried on and off duty. I sold it to a co-worker. Aside from the slide chewing up my hand, I liked it. I figured I'd be carrying it more I would be shooting it. A few years ago my son was working in a Pa gun shop and a guy came in with a Interarms PPK/s in the box with all of the papers. He knew I was looking for one so I purchased it from the store and they shipped it to me FFL. Runs great. My daughter has a Manurhin PPK/s blued and it also runs well. I have learned PPk/PPk/s either work or they don't. If they run, it's a keeper. FWIW: I won't touch a S&W model.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I have a US made Interarms .380 PPK/S. I wouldn't mind the slide biting me if it weren't a jammomatic. I sent it to S&W back when they took over the line. They fixed a problem with the DA trigger and replaced the mag catch (for some reason unknown to me), but it still fails to eject frequently...stovepipes.

I've tried replacing the extractor and spring and recoil spring...no difference. The only reason I keep it around is because my grandpa gave it to me.

I assume my sample size of 1 is a lemon, so I won't attempt to disparage the whole lot.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My prejudice against the new ones is that butt-ugly beavertail on the frame, which completely ruins the classic silhouette of a PPK. My only example is a 1990s US-made PPK in stainless, which is built well but has all of the typical PPK faults.

BTW my understanding is that the new PPKs are only made in stainless. The "blued" model is actually blackened stainless steel as well.
I'm just the opposite, I wouldn't have one without the beavertail. I used to work at an indoor range, and saw a LOT of customers with slide tracks on their hands from the slides eating on them. When I saw that, I went into the range to help out,and show them a better way. Nope, those little bastards cut me, too. I never liked them much, anyway, that sealed the deal with me, though. The local PD, who used our range a lot, issued the PPK/S to officers as a backup gun to their S&W 6906s, so I saw the cops using them a lot. Lots of blood, too.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
never have had a problem with the pp models cutting, but the tph? oh boy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
...Now Sig made a little stainless. 380. I'm not on the hunt for one but if I ever trip up on one.....
I consider the P232 to be one of the finest guns I've ever owned:
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

I had an Interarms-imported PPK/s for a short while in the 70's. Really wanted to like that pistol, but just couldn't. It was heavy, inaccurate, unreliable, and bloodthirsty (slide bite).

The Sig is everything the PPK/s shoulda been! By today's standards it's too big, heavy, and low-capacity for an EDC, but the design & workmanship are second to none. I still love the P232!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I consider the P232 to be one of the finest guns I've ever owned:
View attachment 641683

I had an Interarms-imported PPK/s for a short while in the 70's. Really wanted to like that pistol, but just couldn't. It was heavy, inaccurate, unreliable, and bloodthirsty (slide bite).

The Sig is everything the PPK/s shoulda been! By today's standards it's too big, heavy, and low-capacity for an EDC, but the design & workmanship are second to none. I still love the P232!
The Sig P232 is newer than me, but my P230 doesn't bite or jam (y)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have a US made Interarms .380 PPK/S. I wouldn't mind the slide biting me if it weren't a jammomatic. I sent it to S&W back when they took over the line. They fixed a problem with the DA trigger and replaced the mag catch (for some reason unknown to me), but it still fails to eject frequently...stovepipes.

I've tried replacing the extractor and spring and recoil spring...no difference. The only reason I keep it around is because my grandpa gave it to me.

I assume my sample size of 1 is a lemon, so I won't attempt to disparage the whole lot.
The PPK/s is commonly found to have those 'intermittent' jams, stovepipe or two in the chamber. If you gave access to gunsmith books or magazines, the problem is usually one of two things. Limp wristing or low velocity ammo, which is another word for limp wristing.

By design, the barrel is fixed. For the slide to work properly and achieve full velocity, the gun must be held rigidly. The easy test is to put the gun ( trigger guard ) hard against a shooting table and fire a magazine through it making sure that the gun was against the table after it fired. Wear gloves, put a rag between the table and gun or whatever, but guys with big hands are the worst, they cradle the little Guns like a toy and allow the gun to barely move which kills slide velocity and intermittent jams happen.

One of the most common ways to identify limp wristing is when a person says it works fine with premium ammo but not with cheap bulk target ammo. There is your clue. Target ammo is slower and it kicks less. So, shooters do not hold it as tight and jams start to happen. The better ammo sometimes is just so fast it cures the limp wrist issue, sometimes it does not, but that is a clue.

Last, dirty chambers and slides take more power to jerk that empty case out of the chamber, so often, it us not just one thing, so polish the chamber to a mirror finish ( I use Fkex Hones ), clean it well, then shoot that gun while held firm against a shooting bench. Use cheap low velocity ammo for that test. If it will not shoot the cheap stuff, then look at your extractor and last your spring. Magazines are not usually the problems in these models.

Good luck.There is zero reason for any modern gun to stove pipe or jam.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts