1911Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
I agree however having multiple pro gun organizations working doesn't hurt. Hopefully it all adds up for more positive results.
concur

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
Absolutely! We of the Virginia citizens defense league have been keeping these boneheads in Richmond tied up in knots for some time now.
What's more, the VCDL approach of showing up in very large numbers seems to have good effect.

Reactions: Crab Boy

·
Registered
245 Posts
GOA has mostly been active at the state level. They don't yet have the muscle to take on our enemies in Congress and the White House.
Gun Owners of America has online "tool" to take action contacting your US Senators and House Representative.

There is pre filled text that you can use or edit.

Also GOA has similar tool for commenting on regulations.

I am an NRA Life member and a GOA member.

I find the GOA is more active in getting grassroot support and contact to the federal government officials.

Also GOA is more prompt and proactive countering proposed gun control.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
GoA as well.

Not cool with the NRA exec's driving Lambo's at my expense. Deal with it. Show me that you're a real group, and not just another criminal enterprise, and maybe I'll reconsider. F WLP.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've read all the gripes about WLP and I don't disagree. Hopefully, the NRA is more than WLP. I'm very disappointed in the board not doing their job.

Having said all that a few months ago I bought 5 year memberships for our younger son and both grandsons. None of the three was in a position to do it on their own but all are registered to vote. I hope numbers of NRA members voting will have an effect on the politations in state houses and Washington. Any donations to pro-2nd Amendment organizations now go to The 2nd Amendment Foundation(and associated orgs.) and GOA.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
The NRA has done far more good than Wayne LaPierre can undo with his ego and power. No one else has the lobbying power of the NRA. Wayne needs to go. ( Benefactor member)

·
Registered
154 Posts
The NRA is fast to claim credit for torpedoing the Chipman nomination, but they were hardly alone in their opposition.

And to be blunt, I doubt they were especially effective. While I don't doubt that NRA included some mention of Chipman buried amongst their continual stream of fund-raising campaigns "Send Us Money To Stop Chipman" isn't likely to have accomplished nearly as much as the work of NSSF, GOA, FPC, and dozens of real shooter organizations.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The NRA has done far more good than Wayne LaPierre can undo with his ego and power. No one else has the lobbying power of the NRA. Wayne needs to go. ( Benefactor member)
Yes, the NRA has done a lot
  • The NRA lobbied for, testified for, and got congress to pass the National Firearms Act
  • The NRA lobbied for, testified for, and got congress to pass the Federal Firearms Act
  • The NRA supported the Gun Control Act
  • The NRA supported the Hughes Amendment
  • The NRA supported the federal Assault Weapons Ban

·
Registered
25,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Yes, the NRA has done a lot
  • The NRA lobbied for, testified for, and got congress to pass the National Firearms Act
  • The NRA lobbied for, testified for, and got congress to pass the Federal Firearms Act
  • The NRA supported the Gun Control Act
  • The NRA supported the Hughes Amendment
  • The NRA supported the federal Assault Weapons Ban
Do you have any documentation to support any of these allegations, just curious?

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
I've read all the gripes about WLP and I don't disagree. Hopefully, the NRA is more than WLP. I'm very disappointed in the board not doing their job.

Having said all that a few months ago I bought 5 year memberships for our younger son and both grandsons. None of the three was in a position to do it on their own but all are registered to vote. I hope numbers of NRA members voting will have an effect on the politations in state houses and Washington. Any donations to pro-2nd Amendment organizations now go to The 2nd Amendment Foundation(and associated orgs.) and GOA.
The Board of Directors elections are rigged:

- out of 28 candidates, only 3 candidates lose
On average, 5.4% turn-over annually. Years and years to build a majority even ignoring ...

- almost all of the candidates are chosen within the system

As things stand, voting is extraordinarily unlikely to change anything.

Reactions: Jennifers

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
Blaming NRA for infringements since ca. 1980, is ill-informed and / or disingenuous. Before the Knox revolt is a different matter: not so much a 2A organization before. And not always the most aggressive since ... but NRA hasn't supported infringements for >30yrs.

Apparently FOPA and the infamous Hughes' amendment were cited; here's a synopsis of that story:

Short-ish version: FOPA is an act of congress that repealed many unlawful, statutory 2A infringements. After arduous, brilliant, risky and unrepeatable parliamentary maneuverings the House FOPA-sponsors got a floor vote. A floor vote despite the bill being "killed" in committee. After members began filtering away heading to their districts, Hughes proposes a poorly-worded amendment. Wrangle declares the amendment to have passed on a voice vote, disallowing a roll-call vote ... that is Wrangle says the "Aye"s were louder. The amendment: unconstitutional; "passage" in violation of House rules; and the wording thought likely to be inherently meaningless. Analysts including NRA's, however, saw it completely unrealistic to get the amendment stripped; knew the parliamentary tricks used to get FOPA through the House wouldn't work again; and advised letting the courts strike Hughes' amendment down after enactment of FOPA ... if anybody could even figure out what it meant. After ATF figured out that the Hughes' amendment meant "no new machine guns", NRA sued to have the effective interpretation of Hughes over-turned.

Some, not all, of the other NRA stances being characterized as betrayals are actually NRA getting in front of congress on bad things to reduce their impact. e.g. NRA's Tanya Metaska got the "sunset" provision added to the Clinton AWB. That was NRA's "support": pass this version instead of the permanent version. It was a Hail Mary ... pundits expected the price of passing the AWB had already been paid; so renewal would be easy. But the Ds losing 8 Senate and >50 House* seats due to supporting the AWB ... they hadn't forgotten. And who might it have been reminding voters which members of congress had voted for the AWB?

*- Just to set a little perspective, congress is 95% re-elected: so losing 10 House seats, 2 Senate seats would be more-or-less normal. Losing >50 House and 8 Senate seats was characterized as "a blood bath".

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Board of Directors elections are rigged:

- out of 28 candidates, only 3 candidates lose
On average, 5.4% turn-over annually. Years and years to build a majority even ignoring ...

- almost all of the candidates are chosen within the system

As things stand, voting is extraordinarily unlikely to change anything.
By "vote" I was not referring to NRA election of board members. I meant in local, state and national elections for those who legislate the laws in this country.

I understand that any action taken concerning changing the makeup of the board of directors is ineffective at present. Still, that is no reason to not try.

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
By "vote" I was not referring to NRA election of board members. I meant in local, state and national elections for those who legislate the laws in this country.
ah

I understand that any action taken concerning changing the makeup of the board of directors is ineffective at present. Still, that is no reason to not try.
Absolutely agree upon that last point: when the time comes that I participate in overthrowing the order outlined in the by-laws, I want to be able to say: I tried it by the rules first.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts