1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a second hand slim hawg. Really liked the fit in my hand. Knew I needed something small for carry, and the Kimber sis ultra and I just weren't good friends. Then start seeing all the discussions on para failures, slides, extractors, etc. I typically chalk most complaints up simply to people like to complain. But, I am still in a debate between the Para, or a Kahr mk.40. I like sticking with .45. And I learned a long time ago with the Kahr mk9, that they are really no fun to shoot. Now, I know, bringing this up before I have taken the Para to the range is silly, but since I have to work tonight, was just looking for opinions.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think you'll like it. I picked mine up second hand as well and it has been great, it's what I carry most. Here is a pic after melt job, magwell beveling, and re-blending the grip safety. I run modded wilson sentinel magazines in mine, eats everything.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Hey Gorilla, I'm not innovator but I can answer your question about the Wilson Sentinel mags.

Look at the second picture he posted, the one on the black holster. Notice how the base pad on the mag comes up the front of the mag a bit-this keeps the mag from overinsertion. On the Sentinel mag as supplied, this this comes up too much and prevents the mag from latching securely in a Para. The modification involves taking the base pad off and reducing the height of the stop (by filing or sanding) until the mag latches properly.

Innovator, that's a good-looking little carry gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. glad to hear somebody was happy with the slim hawg. Yes, I realize it will not be my range gun, but I keep full size 1911's for that. Every time I get something compact, I decide I don't like it and trade out for another full size. But I really needed compact, like it or not.

·
Registered
528 Posts
innovator, can you elaborate on your modded magazines? Did WC mod them or did you? I'm looking to pick up a couple extra mags for my Slim Hawg. Thanks.
Innovator, what surfactreatment was used on that beautiful gun? Also where did you get the grips?
Sorry for the late replies guys, haven't been in here in a while.

Gorilla,

AreB was exactly right, it's a very simple mod. At one point checkmate was making a true flush fit mag specifically for the slim hawg but I have yet to find any.

Cat,

I'm actually not sure that the finish is called but my smith told me that it is epoxy based and he prefers it over cerakote. The grips are made by raasco, I have a few pairs from them and really like them. My fiance just gave me a pair of these for x-mas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.