1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an ex-Navy dude I know (he's with the Border Patrols now) who was bequeathed a genuine US Army issued M1911A1 that his grandfather carried in WWII. How his father kept it, I could only guess...but I digress.

The dude had the slide milled out for high-profile combat sights, cut out behind the trigger guard, scallope the ejection port, slap on extended releases and most disgustingly, a full-length guide rod!

The travesty, the humanity of it all! I shudder to think that my kid would somedays butchered my Springfield Armory USGI M1911A1. Maybe I'll take it to the grave with me?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
Springfield Armory never made any M1911A1's, so your kid should be safe.
I "butchered" the M1911A1 that I got from my Dad, and don't have much in the way of regrets. The value and rarity of a gun is based on how many are available for sale. Since my gun will never be for sale, the world's supply of M1911A1's isn't really any different than if the gun was still stock. I shoot my gun every week, and get lots of comments and compliments on it. I get much more enjoyment from using the gun than I would from its just sitting anonymously in the safe. If I bought someone else's for-sale M1911A1, I would certainly keep it stock, but my gun is, well, mine.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
We all need to remember that for the longest time (50's thru 80's) surplus USGI guns were the cheap junk you bought to customize or experiment on. Nowadays they're like gold so it's another matter entirely.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
dsk is right (dah), but Springfield Armory made a 1911A1 from 54 to 67. For the Army National Match competition. Very wise not to mess with one of those little gems.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
Those match guns were modified '11A1's made by Colt, RR, etc. Rock Island "made" the M15 General Officer's Pistol, but again, they were modified '11A1's from WWII.

·
Registered
370 Posts
BLASPHEMY!!!

GIT A ROPE AND FIND A TALL TREE

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts