1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I hope the cashier is changing gloves after every transaction otherwise they are potentially exposing everyone they check out after the first transaction....

·
Registered
736 Posts
Had to go get a routine blood test today. The techs had gloves, face masks, face shields and disposable gowns. Went to the post office after to mail a box and there was a flexible plastic barrier hung from the ceiling to separate the postal workers from the public but none of them were wearing gloves or masks.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
My wife is a kidney transplant recipient, and I have been wearing a mask and gloves the few times I need to go out. Today, at Home Depot and Walgreens, I had people get right up in my face and then ask if I had a spare mask they could have. Well, no, and please back off!

Maybe I will start wearing this when I go out:

I doubt that anyone will ask if I have a spare Shemagh, and maybe they will keep their distance.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My wife is a kidney transplant recipient, and I have been wearing a mask and gloves the few times I need to go out. Today, at Home Depot and Walgreens, I had people get right up in my face and then ask if I had a spare mask they could have. Well, no, and please back off!

Maybe I will start wearing this when I go out:

I doubt that anyone will ask if I have a spare Shemagh, and maybe they will keep their distance.
Pro tip, get some cheap scrubs from Walmart and people will run away from you when you wear them. Can't tell you how many times I've seen it happen when walking the dog (I live in an apartment). Same when gassing up or when you stop to get something. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Gloves have their place. But you cannot wear them all day and expect them to help. Put them on when you feel you may be exposed, then remove and wash your hands. Ref the N-95 masks, they catch 95% of all particles 3 microns or larger. The Corona Virus is smaller than that, btx 1 and 2 microns. Like the gloves you cannot, use them indefinitely. They eventually become contaminated. Some say they help remind them not to touch their faces. I have gloves I wear whenever I leave the house. Into a place, I purel them when I get back in the car, wipe the car down etc. I also use the gloves for opening packages and carrying boxes to the burn barrel. (Which gets a lot of use now) Fire is lit, gloves go in, wash or sanitize my hands.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
A simple face mask is all that is needed for covid along with proper knowledge of how to use PPE. You've no idea how many people I've seen with gloves on touch nearly everything in their vicinity then answer a call and touch their face with the same gloves defeating the purpose of the gloves. Saw that at the store the other day. These same people then touch their keys and wallets to get in their vehicles and presumably move their new purchase from car to inside the house with the same gloves. Those at risk (immuno compromised, older, respiratory issues....) Should take extra precautions for sure and educate themselves on proper use of PPE. Those who aren't, should don a face mask (not N95) as a precaution and we should be grown enough not to be told to wash our hands. N95 is required for airborne diseases like tuberculosis unless you are using something like a nebulizer on someone who has covid (like you would with the flu). If one chooses to wear an N95 and has a beard, you're going to have to shave to get a proper seal to your face otherwise the N95 won't be effective for airborne illness(seen this mistake as well in the store). As someone that is actively interacting with patients with and without this, take a breath and treat it with the same precautions as flu prevention. Media is blowing this way out of proportion and is causing more panic than is needed. Yes it is serious but what scares people the most is that it is unfamiliar and watching the over reaction of the general public which heightenes their own anxiety. One final note, why are we so trusting of the media when they are talking about medical concerns but immediately distrust the same media as ignorant and untrustworthy when talking about firearms? I've seen so little from the news outlets that wasn't speculation. Just food for thought.
Information is osmotic. It seeks to fill all voids and when there is a lack of true, accurate or good information, the bad flows in to balance it out.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
The Media and/or Government miss led us???...........say it ain't so!

Everything we hear or read is suspect.

·
Premium Member
8,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Gloves have their place. But you cannot wear them all day and expect them to help. Put them on when you feel you may be exposed, then remove and wash your hands. Ref the N-95 masks, they catch 95% of all particles 3 microns or larger. The Corona Virus is smaller than that, btx 1 and 2 microns. Like the gloves you cannot, use them indefinitely. They eventually become contaminated. Some say they help remind them not to touch their faces. I have gloves I wear whenever I leave the house. Into a place, I purel them when I get back in the car, wipe the car down etc. I also use the gloves for opening packages and carrying boxes to the burn barrel. (Which gets a lot of use now) Fire is lit, gloves go in, wash or sanitize my hands.
Actually under the NIOSH standard, the N95 protects against 95% of particulates 0.3 microns or larger.

https://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/bioter/n95masks.html
The N95 is made by various manufacturers under different names, from MSA's "Affinity Foldable Respirator" to 3M's "Particulate Respirator." Look for "NIOSH N95" on the package; the "N95" is a government efficiency rating that means the mask blocks about 95 percent of particles that are 0.3 microns in size or larger.

·
Premium Member
8,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
Maria B. reported just now CDC will come out with recommendation for the entire population to now wear masks...Well, glad the CDC Bureaucracy finally applied some common sense. I wonder how many man-hours these brilliant minds spent on this. They could have did this in 5 mins if they read some of my posts now even many weeks old talking about how well an N95 mask has worked for me over the last 10 years or so while on chemo...

I don't care how many degrees a person has, I have my share also, or how brilliant a person thinks they are, always apply common sense. I guess as our society gets more and more dependent on the so called experts and government bureaucrats to make decisions for them even on some very obvious things, common sense isn't that common anymore.

And it isn't just the medical establishment, think of some of the nutty reports which have come out of the FBI over the years, like Trump-Campaign is full of Russian operatives, oh and the other one: like 9mm=45 ballistically. ;-)...OK, sorry, just couldn't resist, just some stress relief during these challenging times :)..

·
Registered
382 Posts
The s——t hole China has 1.4 + billion people. That commie country imho can lose the population of our entire country in the US. And not miss them. China one of the biggest polluters in the world!

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Information is osmotic. It seeks to fill all voids and when there is a lack of true, accurate or good information, the bad flows in to balance it out.
This world is drowning in information.

It is starving for knowledge.

·
Administrator
18,592 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
True, even beyond knowledge, starving in wisdom:

1) Information -> + (apply critical thinking) leads to -> 2) knowledge -> + (gain hands on experience over some years (required) + being connected with with spirit (recommended as it is very beneficial) + going through hardship (optional but a plus) leads to (at lease gives one a good chance to get some) -> 3)wisdom.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
0.3 microns.

·
Premium Member
8,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
In other N95 news...

A Brooklyn man was charged and arrested for lying to Federal investigators about his hoard of N95 masks and other medical equipment. Then all his stuff was confiscated.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/med...ouger-distributed-hospitals/story?id=69938363
According to the DOJ, the equipment includes roughly 192,000 N95 respirator masks, nearly 600,000 medical gloves, 130,000 surgical masks, procedure masks, N100 masks, surgical gowns, disinfectant towels, particulate filters, bottles of hand sanitizer and disinfectant spray.
and

Prosecutors say 43-year-old Baruch Feldheim hoarded the supplies in order to take advantage of the COVID-19 crisis and was selling them to doctors and nurses at prices as much as 700% above market value

21 - 40 of 59 Posts