1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Everyone,
First I want to thank everyone for the compliments on the gun received on the forum and through the e-mails. I'll try and list most of the parts used to build this gun however most of the parts were brought to the shop and not all of them were in their original package.
Caspian, slide,frame,compensator, mainspring housing, and beavertail grip safety.
Schuemann four port hybrid barrel.
Scope mount and mag funnel were anodized by EGW I'm not sure on the manufacture.
Ed Brown two piece guide rod.
Most of the trigger group parts are STI.
Hardchroming was done by Accurate Plating And Weaponry.
As for the question on how well the Caspian x comp works I've only used these with the hybrid barrel and the combination of the two vents a lot of gas. When shooting this gun the dot never leaves the target and there is a slight push to the rear, I might add this gun is a real pleasure to shoot.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Good Work Bob

the mag well is ours (EGW in Pa.)
we make pads too and you will pretty much
need them. (std and +2)
the Mount is Alchin. (In Ca.)
both are available from Brownells.
Or from Hunter Custom.

and again
Good work!
geo ><>

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
What was the 9x23 developed as at first? Just another wildcat or was there a specific purpose the cartridge was supposed to address?

TIA

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
John Ricco of CP bullets pushed the 9x21 pretty hard at the end of the 80's. The P-9 was pretty hot for a year or two. Cp and others set some single stacks up in 21 and they worked fine.
Caspian hi caps really liked the 21 without the rim. CP wanted to make a Case with the web thicker like the 9mm. The first cases came in and they were too large. He just extended the taper all the way back and I said ( Ok I am a little sarcastic) I am sure the IPSC guys are going to line up to buy a cartrige that your gun holds one less of!
So there were revisions. The reamer I have in the shop is revision 3. Early on the extractor grove was tight and pushed the extractor out of the way on 1911 format guns.
We changed the grove and in the process Winchester tried to take over the pattent. After some depositions and some guys in suits things settled down and John got what he wanted. The idea was a factory loading that was safe and powerful. Ironically in IPSC major at 182 power factor as there was less room in the case you ran at a higher pressure to make the same Power factor. It was a particular problem of primer flow that caused problems. With the new power factor in IPSC and the factory loadings this is not an issue. A well fitted firing pin helps a LOT. With no semi rim the gun is more friendly to get to feed from the magazine. The rim is smaller so you have to watch the width of the bolt face and the extractor does not have as much to grab on, but they work. You will probably find it easier to get running than super. Factory Loadings will make it last longer and with the balistics of the bullet and the recoil it is a Great option for a carry round.

geo ><>

·
Registered
130 Posts
As I am building a SV in 9x23mm, I plan to go with a 5" barrel, but project 1911 #2 will be a Commander size, Bobtailed single stack for carry. Does anyone know where I can get a barrel from, shor of haveing it Custom made, by Ed Brown or Bar-Sto?

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
George Smith could probably help you out, He makes a great barrel. Barsto should be able to turn one out for you, Nowlin makes 5" and 4" barrels, so you could cut one down, Schuemann could probably get you a barrel out too. Shouldn't be a big deal to get down. Like most things, time and money. Good luck on your 9x23..Great cartridge, good shooter. You might try giving Richard Heinie a call too as he supposedly had the 9x23 on a commander platform.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Everyone,
There is a part I should have mentioned when I was listing the parts in the gun I just built and when George Smith of EGW brought up the extraction problem it made me think of it. This gun is running an Aftec extractor and as of now seems to be working very well.
George pretty well covered everything in describing the development of the 9x23 cartridge.
What I'll add is, here again is something good that was developed because of racing. I come from a family of racing, My Father raced cars and boats and I in my younger days raced motorcycles and I can assure anyone its racing that advances technology.
The reason I've brought up the racing issue there is some who think that because some shops build raceguns they do not or can not build defense or carry guns. I can assure everyone there is nothing farther from the truth, it takes a higher degree of skill and knowledge to build a racegun.
Again George touched on some very good points about the 9x23 such as the firing pin hole diameter and breech face size he knows what he is talking about, Thanks George.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Hey Bob,

I jumped in on this thread and I realized I haven't told you that is a great looking gun.
Who's hammer did you use?

I agree with you comment on racing. Without racing it would be very hard to say where the 1911 would be today. The quality and quantity of parts is amazing. I would suppose y'all would be welding up and making your own parts.

Many people talk about how a carry gun must be 100 percent reliable and race guns are only for games, but a carry gun goes out and gets tested on the range and put in the holster..that is faith. A race gun goes out every weekend and shoots thousands of rounds in its lifespan. Its gotta go bang every round, everytime. If a racegun pistolsmith can't do that he doesn't stay in business very long. Add scopes, comps, mak'em light, mak'em heavy and now you have a person who really needs to know how a 1911 functions and how to balance all the factors.

Again, great gun, I think you have happy customer.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
There is a great picture of one of the problems that plauge the super / 23 under
the sti/svi listing titled- Intechangeable Breechface® Slide
Great photo to show you what to look for regardign the side of the bolt face.
geo ><>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts