1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at the wave many many times and finnally it struck me. My "other sport" is high performance sport bikes. I have had many and been through 3 times as many back tires hehe. Anyway to the point. Grip is life in sport bikes and I thought the grip pattern for rear tires would translate very well to the front strap of a 45. The wave by BCP gave me the idea. Here is a link to a few tire pics so you can see what Im talking about. Dane, I volunteer my SA SS Loaded 45 as the gunie Pig hehe
http://jeepsubaru.com/shane/tires/

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Damn Shane... I had already considered this when I saw some Dunlop's on my buddies bike a while back.

I thought that might be a great pattern. Most of the patterns you see are Directional, and I don't know if they would work well... Some might be hard to program on the CNC, but I might be willing to be a Pinni-Gig too

I think the ones in the pic AZAROAV40.jpg might be a good start

Anyway...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the d207's look BAD!!! Oh Yeah they may grip well too.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Dang, Shane, I think you're on to something. I have the bike in the shop next to the mill as we speak, doing a Pirelli Dragon Evo frontstrap! But then I'm really gonna get wild and take slick and checker it at 20 LPI!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah but I think the conamids may be better in the rain! LOL ;P

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Can we get little rubber grips for the safety and slide stop, too?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by shane45:
Yeah but I think the conamids may be better in the rain! LOL ;P
actually a lot of the guys around here who race supersport use the Pilot Sports as their rain tire as they seem to grip well....and it seems to rain a bunch around here....I try to avoid riding in the rain at all costs....but sometimes it doesn't work! :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Looked at the wave many many times and finnally it struck me. My "other sport" is high performance sport bikes.
I'll so you mine...if you show me yours! :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I don't mind riding in the rain except it gets the bike dirty sometimes. Glad to hear the Pilot Sports are good rain tires as I just put one on the front-- have a new rear too but there are still a few miles left in the rear Dragon Evo. I know that's probably a no-no, the mix and match, but it feels fine, and the level of riding I do on the street, I won't get in trouble. I'm anxious to get the Pilot on the rear because the front had a remarkable effect on handling-- I noticed it more than with any previous tire change.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have always been a DL sportmax Fan Myself. Nice YZF. Are brake parts as expensive as I have heard for that bike? Is that a yosh slip on or full header? My Bikes to date:

79 CB 750 k
82 V30 Magna
84 Yamaha Virago shhhh dont tell anyone
88 Kan of Tuna-- I mean Katana
90 FZR 600
93 GSXR 750
94 ZX-7 Oh I miss That One
Polished frame and swingarm
Micron Carbon Fiber & Stainless
Powder coated pegs and rims
Dyno at 117 HP
Crashed at 155
98 GSXR 600
Again Micron Carbon Fib & SS
And to Stay on topic 20 LPI Checkered
Front Forks
Present 19 Month Old Son!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Ned Christiansen:
I'm anxious to get the Pilot on the rear because the front had a remarkable effect on handling-- I noticed it more than with any previous tire change.
Pilot Sports are VERY sticky tires but they take a while to initially break in (about 200 miles) and they take a little longer to warm up on each ride. So when you do get the rear tire...take it easy for a while before pushing it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have always been a DL sportmax Fan Myself. Nice YZF. Are brake parts as expensive as I have heard for that bike? Is that a yosh slip on or full header? My Bikes to date:
94 ZX-7 Oh I miss That One
Polished frame and swingarm
Micron Carbon Fiber & Stainless
Powder coated pegs and rims
Dyno at 117 HP
Crashed at 155

....ohh I've always liked ZX-7's. Almost bought one when I got the YZF.

Lets see to answer your questions. I'm running EBC HH Sintered on front (about $30/ea or $60 for both disks..EBC standards on the rear) and running EBC Pro-Lite rotors. The original rotors were warped (as is the case with many YZF750's....6 pot calipers can put the big hurt on rotors).

Running Yosh RS-3 Oval Race Slip On. Decided against going to the full system because of the EXUP valve. I've heard that when the EXUP valves are removed, the mid range suffers dramatically. Before I got the bike, it had a Hindle Full system on it....the bike ALMOST had a career as a 750SuperSport race bike before the owner got picked up for a factory ride with H-D running the VR1000. Mike Velasco did the engine....dynoed at 113.4HP at the rear wheel.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
113.4 Nice! Since you had the engine done did you go overbore by a mm or 2? We just need 1 BIG GIANT machine shop for our bikes and our guns!!!! Chunks of billett laying everywhere....Test track in back, test range on the side....Huh, what, uhhh no boss I wasnt sleeping at my computer again, yes boss back to work right away boss.....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
113.4 Nice! Since you had the engine done did you go overbore by a mm or 2?
When Velasco set the bike up, he did everything he could legally do for SuperSport racing; overboring isn't legal...neither is changing engine parts. At the time he did it (1996) he was setting up an identical bike for Jason Pridmore and a couple others.
Since "balancing and blueprinting" are legal, I understand that he disassembled all the engines and then did some parts swaping and in my particular case, cleaned up the ports in the heads.

I'm guessing this thread will be migrating to General "Firearms" soon.

[This message has been edited by vapors750 (edited 08-10-2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts