1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out yesterday to try a couple of rounds that I have been working up for two rifles. Business loads if you will. The first was a 180 grain Barnes TSX 30 caliber bullet on top of 46 grains of IMR 4064 in 30-06 for the Sako hunting rifle. That was about as good as it gets. A one box sight in on a new round that is dead nuts on target. I was pretty happy about that. To this day I do not know why people beef on IOR Valdada glass. I have their glass on several of my rifles, no issues.

Then I tried a 150 grain Barnes TTSX on top of 48 grains of Varget out of my M1-A. And lo and behold got some good accuracy there as well. Better than I have been getting with other ammo that I have run out of this same gun. So I am happy about that as well. However I am smacked again in the face with the idea that skimping of glass is a really bad idea. I picked up a USO TS series scope on sale to try on this rifle and the glass is really clear. But it is a first focal plane scope with a really fine reticule. And at higher magnification the reticule about completely disappears.

Anyway it was a good day overall. Both rifles shot well with these trial loads, and I went away happy!

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
A purpose fueled range day with good results, can’t get much better than that. (y)

Unless of course I was there with you to repeatedly fire off magnum rounds while sitting next to you, just as a means by which to test and hopefully improve your concentration level. :D

·
Registered
24,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A purpose fueled range day with good results, can’t get much better than that. (y)

Unless of course I was there with you to repeatedly fire off magnum rounds while sitting next to you, just as a means by which to test and hopefully improve your concentration level. :D
It is helpful people like yourself that cause me mostly just to go to the big range in the middle of the week when no one else is there. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mean the big range on your property? You know that makes me jealous. :)
No the range on my property is only 150 yards. The big range is at the Roanoke rifle and revolver club, we have a 500 yard range there. But that is a little over an hour away. And if you are really ambitious you can go to bang steal down in Bland county where you can go out past a thousand yards. But you have to book in advance and pay for that opportunity. You are welcome to come up and shoot anytime you like Chief. Actually my wife and I got our second dose of the Moderna vaccine just the other day. I am pretty pumped about that.

·
Registered
24,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No that means that we just drop a few trees on the road in front of them and behind them and wait for them to come out. No big deal. Or we just get the tag number and call it in.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Down in South Mississippi, it's raining. When it dry s out have to cut grass. Have a new Smith and Wesson performance center model 926-8 44 magnum cleaned ready to go. It's a week old now! It's flooding now!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
No that means that we just drop a few trees on the road in front of them and behind them and wait for them to come out. No big deal. Or we just get the tag number and call it in.
That's film maker Sean Casey's Tornado Intercept Vehicle (TIV). They also do scientific research in it while in the midst of the tornado, but as it has some high-powered film cameras in the turret, it's much bigger than Reed Timmer's "Dominator" vehicles, by comparison.

Timmer's Dominators are built on a GMC Yukon body & chassis - Casey's TIV is built on something like a Deuce & a half chassis, IIRC.

EITHER way... if you SEE one amblin' down the road, it's gonna be a BAD weather day for SOMEBODY!!!

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
the range on my property is only 150 yards. You are welcome to come up and shoot anytime you like Chief.
Appreciate that, Skipper! Heck, 150 yards is plenty. Truth is, I’d be happy if I just had a 7 yard backyard range. :)

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Sweet rifles. Glad you could get out and run them.

.30’06 & .308Win range days are coming soon for me.....and Barnes loads will be used, too.....mine will be 130gr in .308Win & 150gr in .30’06.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts