1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,025 Posts
Happy 4th to all of you. And to stay on topic, here is one of my thoughts pursuant to Dub's post #40: one of my main complaints about the 38 Super is the factory (major factory) offerings being so limited. Most of it, unless you carry light weight bullet loadings or select boutique loadings by Buffalo Bore or Underwoods, have always been 130 gr. FMJ's. What's up with that? To get some of the heavier stuff, you pretty much have to load your own. Take the 147 gr. JHP or 140 gr. JHP as an example, and no one of the major ammo companies have ever produced those that I've ever seen. If there were a wider selection available from the major ammo manufacturers, I think the popularity of .38 Super would be much greater. Over the years, I have adapted some loads for 140 gr. Sierra JHC's in .357, along with 147 gr. XTP's in .355. Heck, even Federal is making some 150 gr. HST's in 9mm loadings - why not .38 Super? Perhaps it's a niche market, but IMO it (.38 Super) has been kept as a niche market by very limited offerings for SD ammo. Just my take. I even have a brass 4-cavity mold to make my own 140 gr. cast LSWC that work very well, but most folks are not interested in casting their own just because there is limited options. That 140 gr. LSWC mold was a custom order that the mold maker did not currently produce, but was willing to add it to his line-up if I sent him the specs. How many are going to go to that length? Not many I suspect.

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I got nothin’ man……
Truly envious, and then you had to pile on the 9 billion mags you have and then shoot the eyeballs out of the bad guy!!
You are going to cost me buddy……back to Wilson for another lookie…..🙂
I found out a few years ago...that when ordering the gun from George....it's a good idea to add some mags to the order, too. Prices are excellent and it gives a while to pay 'em off.

He truly makes every aspect of the ordering process as painless as possible.

Now....the rest of the story on that Bad guy target........

It'd been a while since I'd been to the range. So long, in fact, my two favorite RSO were concerned over my absence ....asking questions to ensure all was well. Good dudes. they've offered a pile of great tips with shooting, politics and how to tweak a Dillon here/there and are ready to show me on their presses when I'm finally running.

Told one of them yesterday about some recent developments that I simply haven't been able to discuss with anyone. They are those kinda guys....good folks. Told him about a serious decline in health one of our dogs had...lost her eyesight....rallied.....then declined terribly...all over the last three weeks. I chose to have her put to sleep...my son and I holding her and talking to her...and crying like little kids all the while. Man, it hurt to see her go....but I'm glad she is no longer suffering.

Turns out the RSO is having similar issues with his dog and he said that when he left for work yesterday....he KNEW that he was going to have to do the same.

Ironic that we both hadn't seen each other in three months....and there we were.....two mid 50's dudes who are faced with the thing we dread.

Hopefully I gave him some perspective and insight into what he already knows.

The older I get...the more I am closer to my dogs. I suspect many of us are the same.

So....I leave the register after chatting with the RSO and enter the range proper....a few people already shooting, but the first lane is open....I took it.

Hung up the Bad Guy and ran him out to ten yards.

The steel piece that the target clips to hangs on the pulley system from two eyelets. Seems my Bad Guy was turned at a 45 degree angle to me, facing to the left, due to only being secured by a single eyelet.

In my haste to set up and shoot I'd not confirmed it was hanging correctly.

It had finally stopped swaying....just hanging there, turned 45 degrees.

Holstered EDC X9 was in a comfortable spot and I was ready. Figured it would be a challenge.

So...I drew and went center mass, ran 1/2 the magazine. Reholstered and repeated. Ran it out to 15yd...shot some and back to 10yd.

Started working the head, too.

The other shooters were making enough noise that I wasn't worried about my rate of fire drawing down the ire of others.

When I ran the target back I was actually surprised that I'd made decent hits at a partially turned, jittery moving Bad Guy.

I'd hoped it had knocked out the rust from my shooting.....and would allow me to slow my roll and focus on the "bullseye" aspects of the X-Tac when it came up next.

Stuck 10 dots on a target so I could run a mag at each.

I maintained a deliberate sight picture for each shot on the first magazine....but simply couldn't do the "bullseye" disciplined shooting. Had to let it run to see how it felt.

I can see the potential being there for the slow aimed fire, but the gun truly doesn't need the slow ingredient.

The sights, springing & trigger along with two paws is all that was required.

I can't wait to get over to my buddy's range and ring on some steel.

Back to George.....he makes it easy to line up these orders for my retirement guns.

Corporate has changed our annual discretionary raises, performance bonuses and other financials. They revamped the performance bonus and made them payable annual vs each pay period. They said it would be a larger incentive. It actually is less $$$, of course. For the last four years, that money hits my account and gets sent on to George.

Corporate also has taken up the practice of giving annual discretionary bonus $$ instead of permanent raise. How wise of them. Well.....those funds also have been going to George.

Five-ish more years until retirement....so there may be some more Corporate-to-George money. (y)

The recent WC AR-15 rifle wasn't part of that funding supply, however.

It was my response to Brandon and came from my FJB account......what's left of it, at least....since the horrid goons have been attempting to wreck the USA. Still went to George, though. :p

Happy 4th to all of you. And to stay on topic, here is one of my thoughts pursuant to Dub's post #40: one of my main complaints about the 38 Super is the factory (major factory) offerings being so limited. Most of it, unless you carry light weight bullet loadings or select boutique loadings by Buffalo Bore or Underwoods, have always been 130 gr. FMJ's. What's up with that? To get some of the heavier stuff, you pretty much have to load your own. Take the 147 gr. JHP or 140 gr. JHP as an example, and no one of the major ammo companies have ever produced those that I've ever seen. If there were a wider selection available from the major ammo manufacturers, I think the popularity of .38 Super would be much greater. Over the years, I have adapted some loads for 140 gr. Sierra JHC's in .357, along with 147 gr. XTP's in .355. Heck, even Federal is making some 150 gr. HST's in 9mm loadings - why not .38 Super? Perhaps it's a niche market, but IMO it (.38 Super) has been kept as a niche market by very limited offerings for SD ammo. Just my take. I even have a brass 4-cavity mold to make my own 140 gr. cast LSWC that work very well, but most folks are not interested in casting their own just because there is limited options. That 140 gr. LSWC mold was a custom order that the mold maker did not currently produce, but was willing to add it to his line-up if I sent him the specs. How many are going to go to that length? Not many I suspect.

The .38Super is such an excellent round. Perhaps if there hadn't been such a demand spike from the riot-era followed by the supply shortage of covid-era we'd see more .38 Super options.

Wide performance range within this single cartridge.

If I can improve my brass recovery I'll be grinning like crazy. It'll be cheaper to reload than the favored .45 200gr lswc I enjoy so much.

I can only scratch my head when I see the marketing efforts of the new .30 super carry coming out......ggrrrrrrr.
Simply manufacturing capacity taken from more worthy cartridges such as .38 Super.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Nice super Dub!

I have no idea why .38 super is not more popular. Great round. I tried setting up a 5” 1911 in 9 mm x 23 mm. I had an Ed Brown 9 x 23 barrel. It’s a bit much with hot loads. I will probably change it back.

I generally go for more classic lines. Your Wilson makes me want to rethink that. Could be the next super will have a more modern thyme. I have to stop reading this thread. Feels expensive. Eventually….

Best wishes

·
Super Moderator
17,025 Posts

I can only scratch my head when I see the marketing efforts of the new .30 super carry coming out......ggrrrrrrr.
Simply manufacturing capacity taken from more worthy cartridges such as .38 Super.
Unfortunately, the limited offerings for 38 Super have been that way since at least the early 70's. I never have figured out why more offerings were not introduced - it could have made the cartridge (and guns chambered for it) considerably more popular.

• Wow

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
3,277 Posts
Congratulations Dub on a beautiful pistol. It should have been called a 9mm Magnum, all the mall ninjas would be beating the doors down to get one. My Guardian went into Jail yesterday and is on hold till next week when the system is more forgiving than on one of the busiest buying days in a long time apparently. I checked Bass Pro for ammunition yesterday and No 38 Super BUT they did have 3 boxes of 30 Super Carry at 36.00 for 20 rounds and a pistol to go with it. I think it was a Smith 2.0 but they had hundreds of black plastic pistols in stock and the counter was 3 deep with prospective buyers.

Go Figure!!!

Now another wait starts till the state of TN gets their act together and goes thru my background again. I had the same issue with the last revolver I bought here since moving here from Montana. Uggggg Whoever had my name here was a bad boy apparently and I always have to jump thru one hoop for each purchase. Woof Woof

I feel like Sparky the trained dog!!! I do my tricks and have to wait on my reward. Again!!

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I talked to Federal and Hornady at Shot Show asking why they couldn't produce 1 solid SD round for consumers in 38S and they basically laughed at me and said there was no demand (well not enough for them). I think they are wrong with all the 1911 guys that enjoy the caliber so I have settled on Wilson's stuff

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
3,277 Posts
I am just going to do my best to load my own using WC ammo as a guideline, I have a pile of 124g XTPs and a pile of powder to run them with. I am going to pick up some 147g XTPs to see how they shoot in my pistols. Heck if a 9mm is so great with them a Super just has to be "Super".with XTPs and Gold Dots if I can ever find any. I don't feel undergunned anymore with a 9mm Luger pushing 124g XTPs to near 1100fps. After all with millions sold world wide and getting the job done 24/7 who am I to argue with it's success.

I am actually glad I finally got on board the .355 bandwagon. I had a dislike for the 9mm since the late 70s and just started to load for and shoot 9mm about 2 years ago. Easy and economical to load for and easy to shoot well. And tons of bullets of every type and a good weight range available world wide. So I figure a 9mm magnum would be a good time LOL

9mm Parabellum 30-06 Springfield
38 Super 300 Win Mag
45acp 45-70 Govt.

I see similarities here in just plain usefulness. Just the musings of my mind today while I watch it rain and load more 9mm LOL I have all my 45acp loaded and all the 38S I am going to load till I have a pistol in hand to plunk and check my loaded rounds.

·
Super Moderator
17,025 Posts
I am just going to do my best to load my own using WC ammo as a guideline, I have a pile of 124g XTPs and a pile of powder to run them with. I am going to pick up some 147g XTPs to see how they shoot in my pistols. Heck if a 9mm is so great with them a Super just has to be "Super".with XTPs and Gold Dots if I can ever find any. I don't feel undergunned anymore with a 9mm Luger pushing 124g XTPs to near 1100fps. After all with millions sold world wide and getting the job done 24/7 who am I to argue with it's success.
Midsouth has some 147 gr. XTP .355 bullets in stock.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
3,277 Posts
I know thanks I have them in my basket waiting for my monthly to check out. We were just there yesterday, Stan picked some things up but I had just paid for the Guardian and am broke LOL Tenn has my pistol in Govt jail till I get checked out this week. They had the biggest day so far with background checks yesterday, people were 3 deep at the pistol counter and ammo was flying off the shelves. It took 3 hours to get the form filed and accepted by TBI for the check.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Congratulations Dub on a beautiful pistol. It should have been called a 9mm Magnum, all the mall ninjas would be beating the doors down to get one. My Guardian went into Jail yesterday and is on hold till next week when the system is more forgiving than on one of the busiest buying days in a long time apparently. I checked Bass Pro for ammunition yesterday and No 38 Super BUT they did have 3 boxes of 30 Super Carry at 36.00 for 20 rounds and a pistol to go with it. I think it was a Smith 2.0 but they had hundreds of black plastic pistols in stock and the counter was 3 deep with prospective buyers.

Go Figure!!!

Now another wait starts till the state of TN gets their act together and goes thru my background again. I had the same issue with the last revolver I bought here since moving here from Montana. Uggggg Whoever had my name here was a bad boy apparently and I always have to jump thru one hoop for each purchase. Woof Woof

I feel like Sparky the trained dog!!! I do my tricks and have to wait on my reward. Again!!

Thank you.

I think you will really....really like that Guardian.

I've recently seen the PMC for $29 / box with free shipping.....and now I can't remember where. :mad:

I was going to order it then decided not to....as it would encourage me to get my presses running this weekend and make my own.

I'll see if I can remember where it was.....it's in stock here though:

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Unfortunately, the limited offerings for 38 Super have been that way since at least the early 70's. I never have figured out why more offerings were not introduced - it could have made the cartridge (and guns chambered for it) considerably more popular.

WOW.....that is eye-opening.

I wasn't aware of this.

I've been enjoying 1911's for a long time....but .45's were where it began and ended...ignorance to the other possibilities......until a few years ago I gave a 10mm a try....then another 10mm,....then a 9mm...and another 9mm, lol.

So much to like about them all.

Truth of the matter, however, is that I could have done it all with the .38S and never needed the other cartridges.

Hard cast or Barnes seated over a full dose of N105 = woods & hunting.
Good factory carry ammo offerings with XTP bullets.
Unlimited reloading possibilities for range ammo....with cheaper bullets than .40 or .45.

Glad I finally came around and tried something "new". :LOL:

Who knows what other new items I may discover in my day to day rummaging around........maybe there is something to those microwave oven things ???

Just kidding......when it comes to food, I'm fairly well up to speed. Too up, in fact. :ROFLMAO:

The timing of my trying .38 Super worked out really well.

I'm gonna talk to my RSO buds and see if they'll look out for me on brass. They sell the excess range brass to members at good prices. I'm going to beg 'em to let me know every time they get a couple hundred .38S collected.

Some of it is certainly going to be some that I shot and was unable to recover.

I need to have this .38S brass recovery conversation with them when I shoot next time.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
3,277 Posts
I know what you mean, I am just so new to the 38S cartridge and the possibilities with it. And since we shoot here at my place I recover all my brass. When the Brownells box gets here I will have 1100 pieces of brass to fool with. 300 Plus P for higher velocity PD rounds and 800 for range brass. I have 500 148G cast TCs earmarked for the 38Sexy

·
Registered
722 Posts
I know thanks I have them in my basket waiting for my monthly to check out. We were just there yesterday, Stan picked some things up but I had just paid for the Guardian and am broke LOL Tenn has my pistol in Govt jail till I get checked out this week. They had the biggest day so far with background checks yesterday, people were 3 deep at the pistol counter and ammo was flying off the shelves. It took 3 hours to get the form filed and accepted by TBI for the check.
How is it that TN is having a problem with you? Just wondering as there is no wait in TN. Just 4473 and wait on the computer to run the NICS then carry your firearm out the door.

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
3,277 Posts
I have had to wait and appeal to buy all my handguns since I moved here, I have already given my FPs and background clean by the way from Montana and still get a bit of push back. 4 years now of this here and never a problem every since this check system began. I have a neighbor and friend with a Tennessee CC permit and still gets this every time he buys a gun, takes about 2 weeks for the State TBI to approve. I don't know why and can never get a real person at TBI to speak with about this. I always get them, and I always have to wait for it. I just watch it on their on line site and when its approved I call the GS and go pick it up. It's been a real pain in the butt.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts