1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year with Covid and the BLM issues I bought my Dad a Guardian, dependable, light, thin, etc. Over the past year he has struggled to carry it in comfort (I joke that it shouldn't be comfy, that's your reminder it's there). Granted he's a first time carrier and never even held/shot a gun until 2 years ago. I understand the issues of running errands and getting in and out of the car.

So when he asked me about a 3" Kimber or Colt Defender I freaked out :oops: and bought him this very clean (and I think new) ECO.

I love these for EDC, the ECO is perfect 3/4" shorter in barrel length and 1/2" in grip. He may go to a fanny pack for EDC. That's the deepest concealment you can have in the grocery store or a restaurant (heck even the post office) and easy to carry.

I had a ECO years ago and then got snobby :rolleyes: as I got into "real" semi-customs. Shooting it yesterday reminded me how great they are.

I ran 250 rounds of AE 115's, 124''s and 147 FMJ's and a bunch of SD rounds --- Hydra-Shok 124's, 135 Hornady Critical Defense and 147 HST LE without a bobble.

He's protecting my mom after all. The target below was some double-tap work at 30 ft.

I'd like see how a Stan Chen Shooters Installed Magwell looks/fits in the future.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would like one. They seem like such a great package in 9mm. I'm just a bit worried about the reliability of the short slide couple with 9mm being a difficult caliber historically for the platform. I just dipped my toe into commander length guns when I got a Vigil CCO and am starting to trust that after multiple range trips with no failures.

Took me years to trust a 5" 9mm lol.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The ECO is excellent. I've got one in 9mm and it is a very hungry animal that likes to eat everything, even hard primed stuff that chokes in my Glock. It's comfortable to carry and shoot. I got my used example for about $900 right at the beginning of the pandemic. Took me a while to get it at that price!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@CTSA1911 the fallacy that these short 9mm (or any 1911) is finicky is just not true. I have 1,000's of round through my Sentinel Compact and Counselor without a single issue, hundreds of rounds through a T4 and I've never had any problems of any kind.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I sold a 9mm ECO and regret it to this day. Shot ragged one hole groups offhand at 10 yards and never missed a beat. Just never carried it and rarely shot it. I carry a RMR'd 19 every day.

·
Registered
906 Posts
@CTSA1911 the fallacy that these short 9mm (or any 1911) is finicky is just not true. I have 1,000's of round through my Sentinel Compact and Counselor without a single issue, hundreds of rounds through a T4 and I've never had any problems of any kind.

View attachment 611288

View attachment 611289

View attachment 611290
It may not be true now but it was definitely an issue up to 10 years ago. Officer size slides just weren't that reliable and it was hard to find a 9mm gun that would run well in any size. This was definitely my experience which colors my perception to this day.

You also didn't see high end makers producing 9mm guns precisely because of this.

While I would expect a high dollar Wilson or NHC to run well I still have some hesitancy at lower price point when it comes to the smaller slide.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That's the beauty of the CCO concept; short butt with a Commander length slide. Best of both worlds in an aluminum frame; concealable, shootable, and reliable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Short barrel (less than 4.25 inches) 1911s traditionally had problems... but I think the major semi-custom gun houses all make them now because they have figured out how to make them more reliable. I am guessing part of the answer is using a bull barrel vice a traditional 1911 barrel and barrel bushing combination. The ECO seems to fit in the same category.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I re-shoe'd it today. Much better IMHO

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I bought and carried an ECO for at least a year. My particular example had a barrel that was fit to perfection. When you drop it down into the slide, there is NO movement AT ALL. This definitely shows up in the accuracy. If anyone challenged me to an accuracy shoot out, my ECO is the pistol I would choose, even though it has one of the shortest barrels.

Alas, about a year ago, Bul Armory came out with the FAS line, which is an officer sized 2011 with a 3.25" barrel. That pistol has an overall size slightly smaller than the ECO but packs 15+1 rounds of 9mm. It has replaced the ECO as my daily carry. However, I will probably never part with my ECO. That is one accurate, fun to shoot pistol.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
az, who did your grips? i see a lot of our custom grip makers have moved on. i have a stash of Ryan's grips, just irreplaceable now. Olympus is closed too.
High Figure did those, they were a gift from a member on addicts that I have done some deals with. 1911 Addicts has 4 or 5 very active grips makers on there always selling and posting items.

Jon is a great maker and easy to work with. I've gotten into the habit of buying scales from Etsy and sending them to either Jon or Bob/Cherokee Hills to get what I want.

Jon at HF did these for me last year

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@best.45 grips are fun as they are easy to sell, trade and ship when you grow tired of them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's the beauty of the CCO concept; short butt with a Commander length slide. Best of both worlds in an aluminum frame; concealable, shootable, and reliable.
Totally agree, just love the CCO configuration! 👍😃
Respectfully

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have an ECO in 45 and love it - best EDC 1911 I've owned; however, I often second guess not getting it in 9mm.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They made a ECO in 38 super, very rare, I had one and sold it several years ago. Stupid :sneaky:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts