1911Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Tachypsychia......

Tachypsychia has occurred to me quite often in sports, and one other time that still is a very vivid memory.....

I was driving my car on a four lane road in Tampa, FL, and saw an ambulance with lights and sirens blaring in the oncoming far left lane. I was in the right lane, so I did not have to yield, when a car leaving a grocery store pulled out directly in front of the ambulance within 20 yards or less..... There was nothing I could do as I was stepping on my brake pedal, and I watched the impact in slow motion..... the ambulance driver did not have time to brake, and hit the driver side of the automobile at an estimated 45 mph. The full size car was hit and the impact moved it sideways and upward and the car almost rolled on its side, while the ambulance with the EMT's inside, lifted in the air about 6-8 feet, then recoiled away from the nearly overturned car. As the ambulance settled back to the ground, I could see the EMT driver with his radio microphone calling for help.....Fortunately, it appeared the EMT's had their seat belts fastened, but I am not sure what happened to the driver in the car. Several people that were closer to the accident stopped to render assistance.:(

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Some people shoot because they like like loud noises and blowing holes in stuff. These folks can become pretty good shots if they shoot a lot. For others shooting leads to something else inside them. The very best shooters in every discipline can achieve this heightened mental state almost every time they shoot. For some their sport becomes much more than just shooting. I like shooting as much or more for the mental aspects as I do the shooting itself. Here's a great link to the Zen aspects of pistol shooting.

https://www.bullseyepistol.com/zeninfo.htm

This is a pretty interesting book. It has a lot more than just how to grip a handgun and pull the trigger.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/pr...MI58fngqir5gIVEr7ACh2Osg3uEAQYAyABEgLgUvD_BwE

Jeff

·
Registered
253 Posts
I get that way when shooting too. Sometimes it may take a mag or two, but it will come.

I would imagine this is the same 'zone' Olympic Class shooters experience every time they compete.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Read Practical Shooting - Beyond Fundamentals by Brain Enos if you want to really understand the Zen of shooting. Then read it again. Enos and Leatham tried EVERYTHING and figured out what really works.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Brian Enos book....

I agree with drail…..Brian's book is a good read, and I read it numerous times, and eventually passed it on to a new shooter just starting USPSA competition.

Brian was a high Master shooter in USPSA, but his close friend, Rob Leatham was a phenomenal shooter, winning two back to back USPSA national championships..... Rob was once asked in an interview what made him so successful in action pistol shooting, and he explained he had extremely fast eye focus....he went into detail, and the ability to pick up the front sight very fast after transitioning to another target is indeed a big advantage..... When the red dot optics became popular, Rob lost that competitive edge when using iron sights against the red dot optic shooters. Rob still dominated in matches like the single stack 1911 matches, but guys like Jerry Barnhart and Todd Jarrett dominated USPSA with the speed and accuracy using red dot optics....

The sport of NRA Bullseye starting using optics once a high master military shooter named Joe Pascarella won the nationals at Camp Perry.....I believe red dot optic sights are still being used in Bullseye with great success.....:)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts