1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with this changing sights issue on my RIA for a while now. I've gotten to a point where I just want to pop on new sights in the existing holes and forget about machining for Novaks or whatever. My first attempt was with factory Colt sights, but the front sight tenon was too wide, and the smith I took it to would not help me find the right size tenon. He just wanted to sell me on dovetailing the front. So I returned the Colt stuff to Brownells and got my money back, and I've been looking at other options off and on as money appears and my wife makes it dissipate.

I looked at King's and Millet, but Brownells seems to stop carrying them when I decide I want them, and I can never tell if it will be the right tenon size. Each of their respective web sights are no help either. So I did another search today and found these.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-165/Sight-Set-Government-3-dsh-Dot/Detail

It doesn't say if it's the narrow tenon, just for the standard stake-on .080. They of course have other options that say it's for narrow or wide, but just not for the sights I want. :grumble:
Anyway, thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Forget the tenon method of mounting front sights. There is a reason why nobody uses that method anymore. They don't stay on. With the newer style front sights, most are heavier and work loose from the slide cycling. Go with a dovetail and have the front sight pinned in place though the base, NOT the blade. The old style tenon method was for the old small front sight found on goverment issue 1911 & A1s. It's money well spent on machining the dovetail. Just find a good pistolsmith, not some hack, to do the job. Novak's do this kind of work everyday. I sent them my slide to change out sights and had it back in 7 days. Good Luck

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here's the last tenon sight I removed from a Colt Officer. Took me over 30 min. Had to drill through the sucker and grab it with vice grips to break it loose. As you can see it was actually installed properly. Before staking the tenon, the inside of the tenon hole was relieved to give the tenon room to expand and hold the sight in place. Properly installed, a stake-on sight is near bulletproof.

http://www.caspianarms.com/SSC.php

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understood. Dovetail it is. Thanks all.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Tenon sights

I have a Colt Gold cup, and the front sight (tenon) flew off during a practice session the day before an action shooting match. I went home, found a piece of steel the proper width, and with a hack saw, I cut out my own tenon sight. It wouldn't quite fit the hole in the slide, so using a square needle file, I fitted the tenon to the slide. I then relieved the underside of the tenon hole with a Dremel, and then staked the sight. I then made the staked sight flush with the inside of the slide. The last step was to cold blue the sight.

I arrived early at the match the next day to check the elevation, and I only had to move the Eliason rear sight about 4 clicks. That was about ten years ago, and I still shoot the gun with the same sight. A tenon style sight will last, as long as it is properly staked. The nice thing about a dove tailed front sight is you have many options of sight styles to choose....standard patridge, ramped, fiber optic, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Jeez...I guess I should have been checking my front sight more often. I staked it on about 25,000 or 30,000 rounds ago with an old style armorer's tool. Maybe I'm the only one who does that anymore. My guns don't travel well so I've had to do a lot of things myself. It's part of the fun. If the tenon hole is too small, file the sight to fit. If the dovetail is too small, file the sight to fit. If your gunsmith won't stake the front sight, find someone who will or DIY.

·
Registered
158 Posts
sights

I stake mine correctly and add a drop of loctite, they don't come off. Had no trouble with getting wide or narrow at brownell's as they are indicated in the description. If a dovetail is cut properly you won't need to drill and pin them.
Just put a stake on trijicon on a compact RIA went smoothe as silk

·
Registered
15,656 Posts
Guysmith, I have been staking front sights on 1911s since the 1980s. I have NEVER had one come off. I have several guns that had the front sight staked over 17 years ago. They're still on there. They're still real tight. These guns fired a thousand rounds a week for years. If it comes off it's because it was done incorrectly. The reason everybody does dovetail front sights now is because it makes more money for the smith, not because it's "better".

·
Registered
15,656 Posts
OK, the reason everybody uses dovetail front sights is NOT because smiths make more money from them. Now please take that BS flag down. Don't want no BS on this forum. There's too much BS on that other forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts