1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
75,143 Posts
We have to accept the unfortunate reality that most gun owners are not gun enthusiasts and they do not leave their guns in a safe. Most guns in this country are stored in a shoebox in the closet or under the socks and underwear and forgotten about until little Timmy finds it one day. There are far more irresponsible gun owners out there than we are willing to admit.

·
Registered
289 Posts
We have to accept the unfortunate reality that most gun owners are not gun enthusiasts and they do not leave their guns in a safe. Most guns in this country are stored in a shoebox in the closet or under the socks and underwear and forgotten about until little Timmy finds it one day. There are far more irresponsible gun owners out there than we are willing to admit.
From my law enforcement days I will add that the same people who leave that Glock under the couch pillow that the toddler finds are often the same people that forget they left one of the kids in the car seat when it is 98 degrees and the toddler dies. These are the same people that fill their gas tanks while smoking and are shocked when they leave the motor running at the C store when they run in for beer or cigarettes or power ball tickets---and find out some jerk has stolen their truck with the full tank of gas.

These people are the cousin eddies of the world. We cannot control them or where they leave their guns, all we can do is make sure we are not cousin Eddy.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
All true but “They” are the ones that a very unfriendly news media use to hype the anti-gun agenda. These are examples that agenda driven politicians use to cast all gun owners in the same mold and influence the voting pattens of the “great mis-informed”. Perhaps we should insist on gun safety training and education in all high schools. We have Sex Ed, why not Gun Ed? That might be a start …… yeah, sure.….. I really don’t know what we as responsible gun owners can do about it, but this kind of event hurts us .

Reactions: drail

·
Registered
856 Posts
The key point is, "Stolen Gun". What is the kid and his pals doing with a STOLEN GUN?
Let's say they had a Kilo of stolen Fentanyl and several of them died from an OD passing it around. Would it be the fault of the Zip Lock bag? Kids need to be taught to not handle dangerous items.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
When my son and his wife and 4 and 7 year old sons come to visit, they live about an hour away, I put my carry pistol in my gun safe. I don't have other firearms lying around, they are all in my safe. But not long ago, they dropped by, and my 7 year old grandson was in the kitchen, and noted my carry in a holster in a basket on the counter, where I keep it. He backed up and said ".... grandpa you need to put that away. " I don't know what kind of teaching his his mom and dad have done, they both have CCP's and keep their own firearms in a safe. But somewhere he must have been told what to do if he saw a firearm somewhere. The two boys just had their birthdays, and with their mom and dads' approval, we bought them both Nerf Guns. They play with their neighbors, who loan them their Nerf Guns for play. So we sat out in our driveway, and I put out my target stand, and they had a great time. But even with Nerf Guns, we all were reminding the two lads that they were never to aim even their Nerf Guns at a person. Not too far in the future, his dad will begin shooting instruction with safety with some of their .22 rifles with the 7 year old son

And I will continue to do my best to remember to lock up my pistol(s) when they come to visit. I had a CZ stolen from our beach cottage several years ago, and I hope that it never turns up at a crime scene. I live near Charlotte, and this is a terrible tragedy, and I am sure soon the source of the handgun will be found.

NV

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
We have to accept the unfortunate reality that most __ owners are not _ enthusiasts and they do not leave their _ in a safe
It's not just gun owners, it's people in general. Off the cuff, that blank could be drugs, alcohol, car keys, knives, etc.

We are a target because it's the one thing on the list that can prevent unwanted control.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
We have to accept the unfortunate reality that most gun owners are not gun enthusiasts and they do not leave their guns in a safe.
Trust me, there are plenty of "gun enthusiasts", even on this forum, that do irresponsible things like hiding loaded guns around the house.
If you can think to hide it somewhere, someone else can as well, and any gun not locked up or under your direct control is one that can be used against you, or found by another irresponsible person or child, and end up killing someone.

Reactions: dsk and benn454

·
Registered
217 Posts
The bigger problem is there are already child endangerment laws that allow parents who leave a loaded gun out to be prosecuted if something goes wrong. The 2a lobby's messaging should be to strengthen and use them rather than introduce inflexible blanket safe storage laws that force people to defeat the purpose of having a gun for home defense by forcing them to store it in ways that make it impossible to quickly access and use.

·
Registered
15,948 Posts
I am amazed at the number of people on gun forums (including this one) who actually talk about buying or storing a "truck gun". I can assure everyone that if you leave a gun in your vehicle it will only be a matter of time before it is stolen. When you get out of a vehicle you need to take your gun with you. A vehicle is not a gun safe. If your gun is not strapped to your body or locked in a vault then it is completely out of your control.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I am amazed at the number of people on gun forums (including this one) who actually talk about buying or storing a "truck gun". I can assure everyone that if you leave a gun in your vehicle it will only be a matter of time before it is stolen. When you get out of a vehicle you need to take your gun with you. A vehicle is not a gun safe. If your gun is not strapped to your body or locked in a vault then it is completely out of your control.
Not everyone lives in the city. Some people live in very rural settings and actually use their truck guns on their farms. Some of these trucks actually never leave the farm. Some people live where their neighbors have their back. Quit assuming anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. People know their situations much better than you.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Not everyone lives in the city. Some people live in very rural settings and actually use their truck guns on their farms. Some of these trucks actually never leave the farm. Some people live where their neighbors have their back. Quit assuming anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. People know their situations much better than you.
My truck gun is my dedicated truck gun (AR15 pistol with brace) and stays in the truck hidden away with 8 - 30rd spare magazines. I also keep a backup gun (.357 magnum revolver with 4 spare speed loaders) locked in a Console Vault that also remains in the vault permanently, unless there is a need to use it. I also have a vehicle alarm system. So far, over 5 years and no break in attempts. Previous to my truck I had a Jeep Wrangler which I had for over 20 years and I did have a break in about 12 years ago because I parked in a bad area (a mall that was closing and had just a few businesses open) to go to a theater to watch a movie. I had a soft top and the burglar merely pulled the top of the door far enough open to reach inside and unlock the door. He stole the vehicle radio/cd player. After that I got an alarm system installed and never had another break in.

The vast majority of vehicle burglars are looking for targets of opportunity (obviously visible items kept in the vehicle) and with an alarm system they plan to quickly grab what they can find and run. As for professional burglars, they're looking for more expensive vehicles to burglarize than my 2016 Tacoma, which is why it has never been burglarized. Also, I always keep my truck inside my closed garage all the time because I don't want some ingrate attempting to break into my truck or vandalize it while I'm inside my house. Whenever I leave the house my EDC is on my hip with 4 spare magazines. The only time that I would need to get to my truck gun would be if I needed superior firepower. I also keep my level IV body armor plates in a carrier in the truck, hidden as well.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
At what point, as a gun owner, do you become responsible or not responsible for a gun crime?

If somebody breaks into your locked house, and finds your guns, that aren't in a safe, steals your guns, and uses your guns in a crime, are you responsible?

If somebody breaks into your locked house, finds your locked safe, cuts it open, steals your guns, and uses your guns in a crime, are you responsible?

If somebody breaks into your house, while you're home, forces you, at gun point, to open your safe, steals your guns, and uses your guns in a crime, are you responsible?

If somebody breaks into your house, kills you, steals your safe and takes your guns, and uses your guns in a crime, are you responsible?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
At what point, as a gun owner, do you become responsible or not responsible for a gun crime?

If somebody breaks into your locked house, and finds your guns, that aren't in a safe, steals your guns, and uses your guns in a crime, are you responsible?

If somebody breaks into your locked house, finds your locked safe, cuts it open, steals your guns, and uses your guns in a crime, are you responsible?

If somebody breaks into your house, while you're home, forces you, at gun point, to open your safe, steals your guns, and uses your guns in a crime, are you responsible?

If somebody breaks into your house, kills you, steals your safe and takes your guns, and uses your guns in a crime, are you responsible?
The presupposition in each of your scenarios is that someone BROKE INTO your house. In none of those cases would you be liable, any more than if someone stole your car and used it in a crime.

Now... If you hide your gun somewhere in the house, and it's not in a safe or has a trigger lock on it, and your child or their friend finds it and one of them gets shot, then yeah, it's YOUR fault.

Reactions: benn454

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
It's the kids problem.

Stolen, not stolen, parents, no parents, safe, shoe box what ever. Grill the moronic kid, for involuntary manslaughter, and lock him up.

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
"Woke" shame the kid on Twitter, that'll teach him.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My truck gun is my dedicated truck gun (AR15 pistol with brace) and stays in the truck hidden away with 8 - 30rd spare magazines. I also keep a backup gun (.357 magnum revolver with 4 spare speed loaders) locked in a Console Vault that also remains in the vault permanently, unless there is a need to use it. I also have a vehicle alarm system. So far, over 5 years and no break in attempts. Previous to my truck I had a Jeep Wrangler which I had for over 20 years and I did have a break in about 12 years ago because I parked in a bad area (a mall that was closing and had just a few businesses open) to go to a theater to watch a movie. I had a soft top and the burglar merely pulled the top of the door far enough open to reach inside and unlock the door. He stole the vehicle radio/cd player. After that I got an alarm system installed and never had another break in.

The vast majority of vehicle burglars are looking for targets of opportunity (obviously visible items kept in the vehicle) and with an alarm system they plan to quickly grab what they can find and run. As for professional burglars, they're looking for more expensive vehicles to burglarize than my 2016 Tacoma, which is why it has never been burglarized. Also, I always keep my truck inside my closed garage all the time because I don't want some ingrate attempting to break into my truck or vandalize it while I'm inside my house. Whenever I leave the house my EDC is on my hip with 4 spare magazines. The only time that I would need to get to my truck gun would be if I needed superior firepower. I also keep my level IV body armor plates in a carrier in the truck, hidden as well.
Level IV plates, 240 rounds of ammo for AR, etc. Seems like you live in or travel through pretty sporty areas.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts